BMW 320i - AA Warranty - bad experience - hmorgan

Hi all,

This is my first post - I've not seen many posts relating to warranties so thought I'd share a very recent experience that has been incredibly bad and might serve as a warning to others considering an AA Warranty.

I recently purchased a BMW 320 from Cargiant and was heavily advised to get a guarantee from AA Warranty on the car. As it's around 5 years old I thought this might be a prudent purchase, after all, nobody wants to be hit with large repair bills...

Unfortunately within 1.5 months of the purchase my engine is reporting "Engine fault - reduced power", having taken it to the main dealer for diagnosis, it turns out that there is a fault with the valvetronics requiring replacement of components - including the cam cover, gasket VVT, eccentric shift sensor and servo motor. Response from AA has been abysmal, they won't cover the costs - despite these components all being part of the overall systems their "guarantee" claims to cover, and also will only pay £48/hour for labour (which started off at £39.60 until I complained).

I have spoken to supervisors and sent an email with part numbers, showing how, for instance, the eccentric shift sensor is part of the valve timing gears which their policy specifically covers. They are however, more interested in playing games about avoiding paying out, to the point of rudeness, and have ZERO interest in assisting me in any way. There is also no way to get an idea of how low their labour cover is, without having first to make a claim, by then you've already paid for the guarantee!

My take is this is an absolute joke, in effect this provides very little protection to anyone purchasing a car given the labour is about half what it costs in most garages, and given how keen they appear to be to weasle out of their obligations. Anyone had any experience of this? I'm considering small claims or FInancial Ombudsman, as they have taken no interest in trying to resolve this... So far my advice would be avoid this outfit.

Edited by Avant on 20/04/2012 at 20:07

BMW 320i - AA Warranty - bad experience - unthrottled

Sorry to hear another bad experience with warranties. Most of the policies have weasel words that allow the companies to wriggle out of part or all of a claim. The Ts & Cs are carefully worded to appear comprehensive, but in actual fact are not.

If you bought the car from cargiant, one and a half months' ago, you should have some sort of redress from the vendor. Take it back to them and they should be able to do something (depending on the conditions of sale).

T

Edited by hmorgan on 20/04/2012 at 15:16

I agree, I won't be buying anything else from AA in the future unless I can get a resolution. And will be careful with future products of this type, at £600 for 2 years it's a rip off when you can't claim even the labour costs. Cargiant so far have been sounding like they want to help, so I'll continue down that line. Ultimately, I suppose I could look at my rights under Sale of Goods Act as well, as it's sub 6 months since purchase... Does anyone have much information on the burden of proof on these kinds of things, as I had heard sub 6 months the onus is on them.

BMW 320i - AA Warranty - bad experience - zango

The AA breakdown warranty is a good product that I have claimed on before. It even paid out on a battery which would normally be considered by most to be a consumable.

For a full vehicle warranty I would always use the recommended supplier on this website. I have no problems with claiming on this in the past, although they have been a bit tardy in settling up with the garage. With this policy you get the option to select which labour rate you want to have covered and pay a commensurate premium. The fair wear and tear (betterment) terms are also clearly defined relative to mileage.

Warranty policies need careful reading but basically you get what you pay for.

Sorry to hear of your problem but at least you have recourse to the dealer. Presumably they could make a claim on the policy if they wanted.

BMW 320i - AA Warranty - bad experience - gordonbennet

About the only warranties worth having are those supplied by the manufacturer, especially with used cars, an 'approved used' makers car warranty is usually as bomb proof as the original new one...subject to the car being maintained properly...family's 320d turbo went at 45k whilst under approved used warranty and repaired promptly with no quibble....most unusual for a BMW turbo to fail of course...:-)

I wouldn't pay for an aftermarket warranty from an insurance provider, expensive bog roll.

BMW 320i - AA Warranty - bad experience - Avant

"....they won't cover the costs - despite these components all being part of the overall systems their "guarantee" claims to cover...."

Do you know the reason they gave for not honouring the warranty?

BMW 320i - AA Warranty - bad experience - Collos25

Forget the AA its down to the supplying garage to do any repairs they must be having a good laugh your paying for something they should provide for free under SOGA and getting commission as well.

They refused to pay out because the components specifically weren't listed, even though they form part of the overall things they cover. According to that logic, if a screw needs replacing inside the timing gears, that isn't covered either, because it's not mentioned by name, despite being part of the component itself. They completely stonewalled me on it, refused to listen, refused to look at the diagrams available online that show the components as being part of what they claim to cover. Basically, they don't want to pay full stop, regardless of ins and outs of it, and will find any reason to refuse. It's bare faced cheek really and I can't understand how they can be allowed to operate in this way.
BMW 320i - AA Warranty - bad experience - Pondlife

I had a similar experience about ten years ago with an extended warranty. In my case, it was pretty obvious that the warranty company were just trying to wriggle out, and there was no point in carrying on with the dialog.

I ended up going to (I think) the insurance ombudsman who ruled in my favour. I had to exhaust the warranty company's complaints procedure first, but once I'd done that the ombudsman ruling was fairly quick. I think it took me about six months overall.

I remember at the time wondering if this was their modus operandi: try to wriggle out of every claim, and only pay up when forced to do so.

BMW 320i - AA Warranty - bad experience - OldSkoOL
Hire a van, make a sign saying how bad/rude they are and park it outside aa hq or nearest public busy road. Contact all the local / national newspaper telling them where you will be and when.

Watch them panic, bad press can cost them many times more than your repair cost. They will have to learn the hard way. No company is immune from stubborn back practice and cs, if anything the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Unfortunately for the aa, they probably back off the warranty claims handling to a third party white label, so bad pr on warranty could also affect their breakdown cover acquisition.
BMW 320i - AA Warranty - bad experience - bonzo dog

They refused to pay out because the components specifically weren't listed, even though they form part of the overall things they cover

I can't say whether you are correct or incorrect without seeing the parts that are covered together with the list of parts deemed by the BMW dealership that require replacing, but asuming you are correct:

1. your contract with regards to the warranty is with the retailer NOT AA Warranty, they are simply the administrators
  2. so whilst the retailer may insist you deal with AA Warranty, this, together with Sale Of Goods Act means your best avenue for redress is to tell the retailer it is up to them to fix the problem & if they want AA Warranty to pay for the job then it is up to them to arrange this with AA Warranty.
  3. Use the written estimates from the BMW dealership to demonstrate why the parts are covered, NOT some internet diagram
  4. As regards to the labour costs, I would have expected this to have been in writing in the warranty book, is it not? If not then it is not part of the contract

Good luck

BMW 320i - AA Warranty - bad experience - MWD_CS

I am the Customer Service Manager at AA Warranty. I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the way in which your recent claim was handled. I understand that our Claims team have been in touch with you to discuss the problems with your vehicle and that you are satisfied with the proposed solution.

If we can be of any further assistance to you please do not hesitate to get back in touch by calling our Customer Service Department on 0844 854 1504.

Yes that's

I am the Customer Service Manager at AA Warranty. I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the way in which your recent claim was handled. I understand that our Claims team have been in touch with you to discuss the problems with your vehicle and that you are satisfied with the proposed solution.

If we can be of any further assistance to you please do not hesitate to get back in touch by calling our Customer Service Department on 0844 854 1504.

Yes that's correct, credit where due Cargiant did get in touch to confirm they will carry out the repairs identified at the dealership and will sort this all out. As a result, assuming this gets done without issue, then I would say it has been resolved. Car goes in tonight so if this goes well I will confirm back that this is now problem solved.

BMW 320i - AA Warranty - bad experience - injection doc

Keep us posted ? as I too have AA warranty on my wifes car, & was sceptical before I took it out.

BMW 320i - AA Warranty - bad experience - balleballe

I recently took it out on my mazda too

BMW 320i - AA Warranty - bad experience - Ethan Edwards

Any warrantly is just a contract of insurance is it not? They will have grievance procedures outlined, Ombudsmen, arbitrators etc. then there is the small claims court.

Solicitors will often give you 30 minutes advice fof free. I urge you to use the legitimate avenues of approach before say strapping hotdogs to your string vest, bursting into their offices and claiming you are 'wired to go off'. :)

I now have an update on this one. Cargiant took the car into the workshop and following their diagnostics, a completely different set of repairs was recommended. I spoke with the workshop who confirmed on the phone that their diagnostics matched the dealer, but when I came to pick it up, they hadn't done any of these recommended repairs and instead had done the following - replace exhaust intake and cam sensors, replace oil lever sensor, replace radiator fan. I'm not sure why I was only told when I got there, I spoke with the manager who explained that they had done the diagnostics and cleared the problem through those fixes and didn't believe that the original diagnosis was correct. As the engine management fault lights are fairly generic I suppose this could make sense, however I find it really odd that they could have come to two different conclusions.... Car seems to drive OK however local driving doesn't really provide much of a test of this. Any thoughts? In fairness the work was done for free via the warranty so no issues there. It would be that or SOGA in either case..

BMW 320i - AA Warranty - bad experience - Ben12345678

Me too! I also bought a 320i from Car Giant and was sold a useless warranty for nearly £800 - What a waste of paper!

Ive just been in touch with them over an EML light coming on and even though the salesman at Car Giant said all issues would be covered of course they are not...

Apparantley it was a NOX sensor whatever that is and ofcourse this is not one of the items covered even though I sold the product saying differently!

I feel I was completely mis-sold this product and the warranty people we're absolutley no help what so ever and were clearly just trying to weasel out of every claim.

I asked the AA who I could go to ie the governing body only to be told they answer to no one and Car Giant are the only people I can complain to...

NEVER AGAIN !!! Both companies are a joke & I'm not willing to let this drop!