BMW 518i Rubber Smell - James Fraser
I have a 25,000mls J-reg BMW 518i which has a rather odd problem. Since a new timing belt & exhaust manifold gasket were fitted, as soon as the engine has been running for about 5 mins, there is a very strong smell of burning rubber. On closer inspection the smell is worst around the top of the exhaust manifold adjacent to no.s 2&3 spark plugs. The cause was at first thought to be the timing belt (despite it being enclosed within a metal cover) so a new one of these was fitted with tensioner & idlers & the tensioning procedure was adhered to the letter (there was no sign of anything on the belt which would indicate a problem). This made no difference so a new manifold gasket was fitted with both faces being thoroughly cleaned before assembly. Still no difference. There are no visible fumes when the smell is apparent and there is absolutely no rubber material anywhere near the source of the smell except the plug leads which are in good condition nor is anything stuck to the exhaust further back. Has anyone experienced anything like this please?
BMW 518i Rubber Smell - Pat L
James

I can\'t really help with the problem, but I\'m intrigued by the exceptionally low mileage of your Beemer!! 2,500 miles a year is not the usual BMW\'s pattern of use.

Can you enlighten us?

Pat
BMW 518i Rubber Smell - James Fraser
It was bought as a car for retirement & has had only minimal use (occasional long runs rather than lots of short trips).
BMW 518i Rubber Smell - Pat L
Sounds like a good \'un! :-)
Hope you get the problem sorted.

Pat