2007 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2. - Misleading petrol gauge. - beanstalker

My car is supposed to have a fuel tank capacity of 45 litres. The gauge shows" full"," half full", "quarter full" and the red section. I believe the gauge is calibrated incorrectly because it always takes quite a lot less to brim the tank than the gauge would suggest. For example, when it was showing a quarter full, eleven litres on the gauge, I could only get twenty seven litres in to brim the tank so there must have been eighteen litres left. This is a nuisance when I am on a journey as it means I refuel more often than I need to. I always refuel when the gauge goes into the red but I actually have a lot of safe miles left still. The reserve must actually hold a lot of fuel, eleven litres which is a big percentage on a 45 litre tank. Has anyone else experienced this with a 2007 Corsa or is it peculiar to mine? I have never had this problem with any other car I have owned. Thanks in advance.

2007 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2. - Misleading petrol gauge. - unthrottled

It's a very common problem since fuel tanks are often irregular shapes that are moulded around other structures. A lot of cars have fairly alarmist gauges. Having said that, if I wait for the fuel light to come on-and stay permanently, I can get over 52 litres into a 55 litre tank before the pump clicks off.

2007 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2. - Misleading petrol gauge. - Galad

SWMBO and daughter and my mother all own 2007 Corsas and fuel gauges stick from time to time after fill-ups. Vauxhall electronics I'm afraid (central locking systems, dash instruments, courtesy lights, 02 sensors all take on a life of their own but th e women in my life love their Corsas).