Citroen C5 2.0 litre Automatic 2004 Model - Dipstick Plastic Surround Shattered - Ivanovich

The Plastic around the top of the Dipstick corroded and broke into 3 pieces. One of the pieces has fallen down the Dipstick Pipe. Is there a cage or something at the bottom of this Pipe that will prevent that bit of plastic from entering the Sump?

If it does enter the sump can it cause any damage?

Would I still be able to drive the car to a Dealer to have the Oil drained without damage occurring?

Citroen C5 2.0 litre Automatic 2004 Model - Dipstick Plastic Surround Shattered - unthrottled

There should be a strainer to stop debris entering the oil pump. Obviously if debris did enter the oil pump then it could be fairly catastrophic!

Citroen C5 2.0 litre Automatic 2004 Model - Dipstick Plastic Surround Shattered - Collos25

I think you will find that the only way to remove debris is to remove the sump its a well known design fault of citroen most people remove the dip stick and replace it with an all metal version.

Citroen C5 2.0 litre Automatic 2004 Model - Dipstick Plastic Surround Shattered - Ivanovich

Thanks "Unthrottled" and "Colos", really appreciate your help. Would you recommend that I not drive to the Agents but get the AA to transport it there? Where could one get the all-metal dipstick because the SA guys have no idea about this part.

Citroen C5 2.0 litre Automatic 2004 Model - Dipstick Plastic Surround Shattered - Collos25

For safetyI would transport it ,my replacement dipstick if I remember came from a Peugeot or an maybe an XM.

Hi Collos25,

Spoke to the PSA/Citroen Dealership and the guy in their Spares Department said I should not worry because the Plastic (Bakelite?) pieces will be prevented from entering the Oil Pump because of a "trap" and a "Ball Bearing' in the inlet that filters out these objects in the sump. He suggested I buy a new Dipstick (with the bakelite collar) but could not offer me a completely metal one. I think I will wait for PSA/ Citroen's South African Head Office to open in the New Year and try to get better information from a Technical guy there before I use my car or send it in to get the Sump removed.