M.G.6 - No news about this new product. - foxmoth

Have not been aware of any information or test drives of the new model M.G.6. It certainly looks a stylish car from the few pictures that I have seen, however no information about engines or prices etc.

I would like to think that its going to be a good product as the production line is in the U.K.

M.G.6 - No news about this new product. - Bobbin Threadbare

Check it out: www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/MG-6/2559.../

M.G.6 - No news about this new product. - Trilogy

www.mg.co.uk is your friend

M.G.6 - No news about this new product. - daveyjp

It will be a brave person who purchases one of these rather than a Mondeo or any number of other larger cars.

MG is dead and this won't save it.

M.G.6 - No news about this new product. - oldroverboy

After all the hype, MG cars have orders for less than 200 cars and sales are "slow". Even with the N series engine and the alleged improvements on the K series on which it s based there are still too many unanswered questions. The car is overpriced , should be the on sale for around 10,000. Road fund duty is too expensive given the engine size and fuel economy is poor, for the same reasons. The publicists and management have all fallen for their own hype and if the MG3 and the MG6 are priced the same they will fail too. Have had a good look around the car, even after my local dealer couldn't be bothered to tell me the car had arrived, (and yes he knew i wanted to see the car) but personally the thumb is pointing downwards. For the same money there are lots of viable options that won't hit me so hard in the pocket!

Don't underestimate the Chinese. MG is far from being dead. Just remember Kia and Hyundai from a few years ago. The Chinese will learn very fast. N.B. These are the thoughts of a very well respected motoring journalist who once worked fro Rover. Taht's not me!

European manufaturers will rue the day they didn''t add one of the stongest brands in the world, to their portfolio.

M.G.6 - No news about this new product. - sb10

I reckon MG will make it back,some people seem to have short memories regarding problems other cars had in the past, but some people were daft enough to keep buying them.

Certain newer cars have had some serious problems but are still selling, so MG stand a good chance as long as the K series mods work out.....sorry N series

M.G.6 - No news about this new product. - madf

Don't underestimate the Chinese. MG is far from being dead. Just remember Kia and Hyundai from a few years ago. The Chinese will learn very fast. N.B. These are the thoughts of a very well respected motoring journalist who once worked fro Rover. Taht's not me!

European manufaturers will rue the day they didn''t add one of the stongest brands in the world, to their portfolio.

Anyone who believes MG is a strong barnd - or has been since the MGB went to rubber bumpers in 1973 really needs to lie down and try entering the real world.....

MG Maestros, Metros and warmed over dying Rovers do not make a strong brand...

M.G.6 - No news about this new product. - Avant

I agree we shouldn't underestimate the Chinese. We underestimated the Japanese in the 1960s, and look what happened.

The Chinese will need to have a USP, just as the Japs had reliability (still have in the main): possibly a lot of equipment for a little money. If they succeed they'll do it with their own names, not by trying to pretend to be something they;re not, as the MG6 does.

The first of their cars - the Daihatsu Compagno Berlina of 1964 - was trying to be Italian and failed, but it was soon followed by the Toyota Corona which just got on with the job. The next Chinese make to import to the UK may be very different.

M.G.6 - No news about this new product. - sb10

I agree we shouldn't underestimate the Chinese. We underestimated the Japanese in the 1960s, and look what happened.

The Chinese will need to have a USP, just as the Japs had reliability (still have in the main): possibly a lot of equipment for a little money. If they succeed they'll do it with their own names, not by trying to pretend to be something they;re not, as the MG6 does.

The first of their cars - the Daihatsu Compagno Berlina of 1964 - was trying to be Italian and failed, but it was soon followed by the Toyota Corona which just got on with the job. The next Chinese make to import to the UK may be very different.

Something they`re not....do you mean like BMW and the Mini trying to be a modern take on the british Mini

The MG6 looks similar to a design they were going to use before they went down and I think it looks good,just remains to be seen whether the engine is as good as the K but without the head probs

M.G.6 - No news about this new product. - unthrottled

What-MG??

I can't seriously imagine BMW or Volkswagon sitting there with their heads in their hands bemoaning the fact that they missed out on a chance in a lifetime to own MG. I'm a big defender of the K engine but it missed its chance-in the 1980's it was class leading-now it is simply average.

The car industry still has too many players and there simply isn't demand for another one. MG, like saab, should be given a decent burial with full honours and left to rest in peace. The comeback tours are just too excruciating-and are doomed to failure.

Edited by unthrottled on 20/06/2011 at 22:44

Yes, MG! Nuff said.

As my username suggests, had many of them and many rovers too, but life has moved on. If the car was priced right it might be worth trying in the budget class, but I can buy some nice korean cars with nice long warranties, suffer the dealer servicing pricing and then change when i can afford to, but I am not going to pay way over the top for a "newcomer" and find in a few months time that it's worth peanuts in PX. I bought my epica vcdi 7000 miles last year for 7000 quid instead of 16000. (09reg in aug 2010)I can easily see the same offers in a years time for an mg6 ex mg staff cars, which is what the epica was at chevrolet. Straight offer to MG, sell me one for 9995 including 3 years servicing and I'll bite, otherwise no thanks.

As my username suggests, had many of them and many rovers too, but life has moved on. If the car was priced right it might be worth trying in the budget class, but I can buy some nice korean cars with nice long warranties, suffer the dealer servicing pricing and then change when i can afford to, but I am not going to pay way over the top for a "newcomer" and find in a few months time that it's worth peanuts in PX. I bought my epica vcdi 7000 miles last year for 7000 quid instead of 16000. (09reg in aug 2010)I can easily see the same offers in a years time for an mg6 ex mg staff cars, which is what the epica was at chevrolet. Straight offer to MG, sell me one for 9995 including 3 years servicing and I'll bite, otherwise no thanks.

just notice in hj news kia giving 5 years servicing on picanto for 475 quid!
M.G.6 - No news about this new product. - unthrottled

They can blow the dust off the Buick 215 and put that in the MG6! Put a sentimental plaque on the rocker cover to tell the customer the engine was hand built by Chai Wan and cover the heatshields in Union Jack bunting. Lots of leather and walnut for the interior. The formula worked so well for rover...

Indeed. ;) Especially with a 3.9i engine, 1930s roadster styling and TD/Metro Tutbo badge!

Edited by Trilogy on 21/06/2011 at 22:52

M.G.6 - No news about this new product. - richardcroft

Look back just a few years to the rubbish Kia Rio etc. MG will be a major force within a decade producing more cars than little old BMW. The Chinese got a comapny with much heritage, tradition, strongly thought of in USA, on a plate for peanuts, with a factory site in the UK.