Volvo V70 - Volvo V70 - older TDI or D5 which is best buy? - Matt@

Hi all, I need to buy a big estate and seems the V70 is one of the biggest estates around.

Havn't got a huge budget ie up to 5K

The car must be diesel for economy and I don't want something thats going to end up costing a fortune when it goes wrong. With this in mind, I'm kind of swaying away from the D5 because of the common rail engine and thinking about eiither an old shape V70 TDI (up to W reg) or a new shape from W reg onwards as the old TDI engine was in this newer model for a short time.

Main questions are - is the older shape V70 alot cheaper to fix compared to the newer shape?

Is the older TDI engine a better bet than the D5?

I really dont want to end up with a money pit if something goes wrong but it would nice to have something thats not too antiquated!

Volvo V70 - Volvo V70 - older TDI or D5 which is best buy? - pd

Well, the D5 is faster, smoother and more economical.

The D5 is not known for its problems - if you run a car like this it will never be the cheapest to run (if you want cheap buy a year old Aygo for the same money). On the whole it is pretty robust.

OK, so over the long term you might need an injector, intercooler or engine mount but you can't expect to run any relatively expensive car without some maintenance.

The last of the old shape have less issues than the early new shapes but you should be able to find a 03 ish D5 with 100-120k in your budget by which time most issues had been addressed.

Volvo V70 - Volvo V70 - older TDI or D5 which is best buy? - barney100

I have a 2003 D5 bought a couple of years ago. Needs cambelt at 90k and check the pads - discs and tyres carefully. the car has been v good and could swallow a baby elephant in the back, with the rear seats down baby's mother might just squeeze in. Forgot to say the injectors ain't cheap so make sure they are ok or get one of those warranties.

Volvo V70 - Volvo V70 - older TDI or D5 which is best buy? - Matt@

ta for replies, I'd read about issues with injectors on early D5's so hoepfully these would be overcome by now on the value car I might buy....

No support here (yet) for the old 2.5TDI engine then in either the old shape or year 2000 on new shape?

are the old shape V70's now past it? they look pretty dated to me now....