Speeding - Mr P

Hello, Just a quick note to see what people think my likely punishment will be.

First offence, clean licence held for 10+ years.. I was caught by police car camera, average speed through a 40mph zone was clocked at 68mph... its too fast I know, one off mistake trying to get home after a long day. Its a really straight bit of road with a few houses set back.. anyway that doesnt matter, broken the law so have to face it.

The policeman said I could lose my licence... is this likely?, I need my car for work and to support my partner and children, is it likely the magistrate will go easy on me?!

Any advice/experiences would be appreciatted.

Thanks

Speeding - Pondlife
I assume you wern't offered a fixed penalty, and you will get a summons. I believe 68 in a 40 is just over the ACPO guidelines for a summons, so you'd be lucky to get offered a FP.

It's true you could lose your license, but I doubt you will.

The magistrates guildines for speeding in a 40 limit with a recorded speed in the range 66 - 75 are a band B find with either 6 points or disqualification for 7-56 days. That's for a NG plea.

You are at the low end with a recorded speed of 68, and an early guilty plea will give an automatic sentence discount.

From what you've said, it sounds like no aggravating circumstances like near a school, poor visibility Etc.

So I'd guess a band B fine plus 6 points.
Speeding - Lygonos

Seen 5 points given for 90 in a 60 - expect similar and a 200-300 quid fine.

Speeding - Mr P
Thanks for responses, should add, this was an average speed for a section of the road- does this have an effect on the fine?
Speeding - LucyBC

You will be summoned to court for 55mph and above as the magistrates will want to consider a short period disqualification of up to 56 days.

If you avoid disqualification you are looking at 6 points and a fine based on income which could be very substantial plus costs, plus the "victims of crime" contribution.

That you were caught on an average speed camera will not affect the outcome - although it often plays out worse in the minds of the magistrates as it shows you were speeding over a long distance.

Do you have any previous points?

In any event you should be taking legal advice before you go to court to explain how to best deal with your case. If you send me your contact details to asklucy@honestjohn.co.uk and include a telephone number I will arrange a free advice call.

Speeding - Mister T

I was caught doing 66 in a 40 by a camera van. I had to go to court and got 5 points and £300+ (fine + costs). To be honest I was quite pleased to walk away with no ban as I was aware that that was a possibility. Thankfully these points have now rolled off my licence as it was a good 5 years ago, and have not had any since.

Speeding - Pizza man

[quote]"victims of crime"[/quote]

Who is this going to? many victims of speeding, all those petrol attendents doing extra work because of the extra fuel used over going slower.....

although of course if it was dangerous driving that'd be a whole different kettle of fish....