Squeaky noise - HF
Hi,

Was going to post about this a couple of days ago, but really didn\'t have enough information to make sense. Which I still don\'t, but since the problem is getting worse I just wonder if anyone can throw any light on this for me.

Astra 1.7D - started getting a squeaky noise from time to time, very much like the noise I remember from when people\'s fan-belts were about to fail.

Have been trying to establish exactly when and why this happens, at first it seemed to be at low speed and when I changed gear or applied brakes.

Now it seem to be happening a lot more, but I can\'t really describe an actual breakdown of when and why it happens. Seems to happen when I\'m accelerating, or decelerating, in low gears, and am changing gears whether or not braking or trying to speed up. But since today it has also been happening in higher gears, not all the time just intermittently.

I know I\'m not explaining this at all well, the reason being that I have yet to find a consistent situation where it happens.

But any clues or thoughts would be most warmly welcomed, last thing I need is for problem to escalate into something bigger.

My only thought is that maybe it could have something to do with the drive belt, which was replaced recently, needing tightening again?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer a opinion on this,
HF
queaky noise - HF
PS - Mark, for the sake of my dignity, can you add an 's' at the beginning of my thread title, please???
queaky noise - Dynamic Dave
HF,

Yes, from the sounds of it, if you've recently had the alternator drive belt renewed, it will need readjusting again as they stretch a little.
queaky noise - HF
Dynamic, thank you, I really hope that's all it is.

You have relieved me yet again :)
HF
Dynamic, thank you, I really hope that's all it is.

But then again, a family of mice could have moved in ;o)

Does the noise mainly appear when you rev up the engine?
queaky noise - HF
>> Dynamic, thank you, I really hope that's all it is.
But then again, a family of mice could have moved in
;o)
Does the noise mainly appear when you rev up the engine?

>>
Aarrrgghhh no, not mice, pleae!!! (HF jumps onto stool and looks around her, just to see if it's safe to come down again).

But as for it happening mainly when I rev up, I don't think so Dynamic, it happems just as much when I'm braking or changing into a lower gear.

Tis why I am desperately trying to find a rule where it happens, and where it does not. So far I have not found that rule.

Just posted here in te hope that anyone might throw some easons at me, and so far I think if I check the tension in the drive belt then hopefully this will solve the problem?

If not - then yeah you might as well put mice in it and see how fast I run lol

Will continue to check over the next couple of days - just don't want something to happen where I get stranded somewhere, which i why I'm mentioning this before possible disaster happens

TY for your interest, Dynamic, if you have any more to say then I'd be really grateful.
HF
queaky noise - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Hi HF,

Belts are most likely, and the first thing to check, but also worth a look at the exhaust downpipe joint (where the system joins the manifold). From your description the noise could be occuring due to engine movement, and if joint is loose it could be making the noise as it flexes. Had this the other day on a diesel Astra, but it only happened when the engine was switched off, and rocked about a bit as it stopped.

Regards, Adam
queaky noise - HF
Hi Adam,

Thanks for that. Hopefully it's just the belt - will check that out today.

If it's to do with engine movement/exhaust downpipe joint, that will be way above my technical capabilities and I'll have to get someone to take a look at it for me. Would that be a big problem to fix?

Strangely, this morning on a short drive, the noise did not happen at all.
HF
queaky noise - Peter D
Rub the aux drive belt mating surface with chalk or talcum powder ( engine Off for safety. ) Then run the car as normal to see if the problem goes away for a while. If so then have the belt re tensioned. Problem solved !!.

Peter
queaky noise - HF
Thanks Peter, will try as suggested.

Will post later with report of success/lack of.
HF
queaky noise - HF
Hi again,

Well, did as you said Peter, (at least I think so, if I got the drive belt mating surface right) and had a little drive. No probs. Later tonight, there were a few more squeaky noises, not to the extent that there were yesterday, it still seems to happen when I'm changing up or down gear, in the lower gears particularly, and especialy when I've changed gears a little sooner or later than I should have done, on braking or accelerating. (Did this as a test, not as part of my usual driving practice!)

Looked at the driving belt - it certainly seems like it's loosened a bit since I last had it re-tensioned (DD, I have had this done once already since fitting the new belt) So, I will get this tightened again as soon as I can, but in the meantime is it ok for me to continue to drive? It's not going to suddenly give me big problems, or fail on me, is it? Still no warning lights, so imagine nothing too serious is going on.

Any further comments much appreciated,
thanks
HF
HF,

Any new belt I've either fitted, or had fitted needed re-tensioning a couple of times before it settled down. If it is the belt, best to get it tightened again, otherwise you'll end up "shining" the belt and pulleys. ie, polishing.
The only other thing that generally tends to squeal under the bonnet is a worn clutch bearing - not that I'm trying to add to your worry you understand.
queaky noise - HF
HF,
Any new belt I've either fitted, or had fitted needed re-tensioning
a couple of times before it settled down. If it is
the belt, best to get it tightened again, otherwise you'll end
up "shining" the belt and pulleys. ie, polishing.
The only other thing that generally tends to squeal under the
bonnet is a worn clutch bearing - not that I'm trying
to add to your worry you understand.

>>
Dynamic and thanks - my reaction is somewhere between a 'great!' and an 'aaarrrggghhh'!

For now, I will try and get belt tightened again. (sorry but 'shining' and 'polishing' I'm not too sure about, take it this is bad but not life-threatening?!)

If it's the worn clutch bearing - then - well I just hope it's not that, appreciate you're not trying to worry me Dynamic, but I guess I need all the possible facts!

Will get belt tightened and go from there. Oh and also Adam's advice, from earlier on today, offered a different possible reason for this problem which scared me to hell and back!

Well, for now, thanks all of you who have responded on this, I knowhow hard it is to diagnose a problem over the internet, and I really am grateful to you all.
HF
queaky noise - Blue {P}
*Blue realises that he may have jinxed HF's car!*

Sorry HF, if this happended shortly after our conversation about the Astra the other day then feel free to shout. :)

You've reminded me, I must fix the creaky noise from under my driver's seat, it's starting to do my head in!

Blue
queaky noise - Dave_TD
Blue, my drivers seat has started creaking on right-hand bends... 125,000 miles, 15st 6'3" driver, I think i'll have to put up with it.
HF, does it squeak more when it's raining or foggy? (ie high humidity, heavy electrical load) That would point to the belt needing re-tensioning as well. Next time it does it (unless you've got it fixed once and for all), and providing it doesn't compromise your road safety in any way, when it starts to squeak try turning off any current-thirsty electrical items (lights, heated rear window, heater fan) briefly, and see if it stops squeaking.
It may be worth getting whoever fixes it to mark with chalk or yellow crayon around the mounting, just to check that it's not moving with vibration over a period of time.
queaky noise - Ben79
I'm 6'3 and nearly 15st, my Xsara seat has sides made of PVC (or whatever), the side of the seat rubs on the centre console and creaks. If I rub door seal lubricant on the seat and centre console the noise stops.

Ben
queaky noise - HF
HF, does it squeak more when it's raining or foggy? (ie
high humidity, heavy electrical load) That would point to the belt

Dave TD,

it's quite amazing that you've posted that. I ALMOST, but not quite, got stupid enough to post last night that it seems worse after dark! - but then realised that the times I was talking about it had indeed been raining, - one thing I wondered though was that even if it wasn't raining at the time (after a deluge had stopped) the problem still happened. So, damp in the air, I suppose, could b a factor.

So, from what you say, it IS the belt, and if so I am very relieved!
thans
HF
queaky noise - HF
*Blue realises that he may have jinxed HF's car!*

Haha hi Blue,

Well I think it DID start after our conversation - in fact it must have done otherwise I'd have mentioned it at the time. (HF dons garland of garlic and holds crucifix towards Blue!) But no, Blue, of course I don't hold you personally responsible, actually I should have pretended in our other conversation that I had loads of problems with the car, and then there probalby wouldn't be any. (see how my tempting fate law works?!)

So no shouting at you required :) (not worth it if you're not sueable (word?) is it?)
HF