Vauxhall Astravan - Vauxhall dealer refusing to budge on screen price - rik1301

I'm in the market for a new Astravan Sportive. Pentagon Vauxhall have got some in stock in the spec I want, pre-reg'd with delivery miles for £12495. Now I've not bought new before but I've read plenty of stories where people have relatively easily knocked off large amounts of cash. Spoke to the dealer today to ask what their "best" price was and apparently the "best" they can do for me is to include 1 year tax.... and that's it, as they claim the price is already heavily reduced from the list price, which is apparently RRP £17492 according to their site (for the base model).

I'll be paying cash for it with no finance deal or PX but I've got to be honest I am just slightly annoyed that I'm essentially being given the choice to pay the screen price or do one, especially considering it's January which is traditionally a slow sales month.

I took up the matter with Pentagon Head Office online chat and they also refused to budge on the price claiming it was already a good deal but said they'd match the price if I could find it cheaper elsewhere. The problem is that it's in a limited edition colour and has 2 option packs included.

Can anyone in the car sales industry tell me if this is the norm or am I missing some essential ammo somewhere that I should be using to hammer them down on price? I get the distinct feeling I am being fleeced by paying the screen price...

Thanks.

Vauxhall Astravan - Vauxhall dealer refusing to budge on screen price - jc2

They are expecting to make their profit on the P/X and/or finance.If you don't like it,walk away but make sure they have your phone number.

Vauxhall Astravan - Vauxhall dealer refusing to budge on screen price - Armstrong Sid
As said above, if you don't like the price walk away.

Can you find that model at a better price anywhere else? Maybe Pentagon are actually the best around for that particular deal.

If they are down from £17497 to £12495 that seems pretty good.

What if they'd put a screen price of £13000.? Then you go along and say "knock more off" so they come down to £12495. Maybe they were dumb for putting their final offer price on.

If they'd started a bit higher they could've done a further reduction and made you think you were getting an even better deal
Vauxhall Astravan - Vauxhall dealer refusing to budge on screen price - madf

It's the 13th. Discount time is >24th.

Try Motorpoint and other discount brokers - see HJ.

Vauxhall Astravan - Vauxhall dealer refusing to budge on screen price - madf

£10995

http://tinyurl.com/5t32e38

Try Mr Google..

Vauxhall Astravan - Vauxhall dealer refusing to budge on screen price - ablandy

sorry madf, but you forgot the VAT. Which makes it more than the price the op got.

When asking for a deal, it is often not a good idea to ask for the "best price", but rather to ask for an actual amount off, it gives a better starting point for negotiation and haggling.

But dont forget, there is always price below which they will not go. I always think of it as "allahs price", because i read somewhere about haggling in middle eastern markets this phrase is used to say that even god himself would not it get any cheaper!

If they have priced it up like this, then you have to ask yourself is this the price you want to pay. Dont worry about how much you get off, but actually how much you pay.

Vauxhall Astravan - Vauxhall dealer refusing to budge on screen price - rik1301

Madf, that's for the base model without any toys. Have already done considerable web research and unfortunately I can't find cheaper, but I still think it's the norm to knock down their prices some more, even if it is what they claim to be their "best" price already. Let's face it, dealers aren't charities where they give punters their lowest prices. They are listed with the "haggle" factor already built in to the price.

Vauxhall Astravan - Vauxhall dealer refusing to budge on screen price - Graham567

Am i missing something here?The OP has said that the price(£12,495) is the cheapest he can get.

And yet he wants to try to knock some money off?

Obviously the OP cannot see a good deal and is just wasting the dealers time.

Either pay the cheapest price or don't.Its not hard.