Renault Clio II - Renault clio - steering wanders - gadgee

A question about my sons T reg Clio 1.2 with 85000 miles on the speedo. Driving at over 40 mph it is difficult to steer the car in a straight line especially when the road surface is uneven. He has just had two new front tyres fitted but not cured the problem. Going to get garage advice once they open after Christmas but I think there is/are worn ball joint(s). Can anyone confirm my diagnosis?

Renault Clio II - Renault clio - steering wanders - madf

Start with 4 wheel alignement..

Tyres pressures.

Then check steering and ball joints...

Renault Clio II - Renault clio - steering wanders - roby37

A 4 wheel alignment would be pointless if there are steering or suspension faults. Additionally the rear axle of the Clio is not adjustable for track or camber and an alignment on the rear is only useful if there is damage. Check the lower suspension ball joints, inner arm bushes and strut bearings. If no problems found check the wear characteristics of the tyres, particularly the inner edge of the left side front, if irregular wear is found on the front get them aligned, if there is irregular wear on the rears check the rear axle mounting bushes.

Renault Clio II - Renault clio - steering wanders - roby37

A 4 wheel alignment would be pointless if there are steering or suspension faults. Additionally the rear axle of the Clio is not adjustable for track or camber and an alignment on the rear is only useful if damage is suspected. Check the lower suspension ball joints, inner arm bushes and strut bearings. If no problems found check the wear characteristics of the tyres, particularly the inner edge of the left side front, if irregular wear is found on the front get them aligned, if there is irregular wear on the rears check the rear axle mounting bushes.

Renault Clio II - Renault clio - steering wanders - gadgee

Managed to find that our local HiQ were open this morning so got them to fix it as it was urgent. New nsf lower ball joint fitted and tracking adjusted for £89. Car drives properly now. Thanks for your replies.