Psychotic response to child's song. - Vin {P}
Sitting in the car on Saturday at Hedge End Retail Park, near Southampton. For those who don't know, Hedge End has been specifically designed to prevent traffic flow (with the in and out flows having to cross!) so after my shopping, I was queueing to get out.

At the end of one of the aisles, I was waiting to get into the traffic crawling past, which didn't move for about five minutes. As my wife and kids were in the car, we decided on a few verses of "The wheels on the bus". You may or may not know the hand movements for this, so I'll explain a couple (stick with me, there is a reason for this). There's a bit where your hands go round 'n' round and a bit where they go "chat chat chat" (i.e. like a hand signal for someone nattering).

Anyroadup, the song finished, the traffic moved a car length and suddenly from behind came the roar of a car engine, the screech of a set of tyres and a woman with her kids in the car screamed round the front of me and tried to cut into the traffic. I moved forward and cut her off. She jumped out of her car and shouted at me that I'd been taking the p*ss with my hand signals telling her she's have to wait (round and round) and that she was gobby (chat, chat, chat).

Cue explanation from me.

Cue deflated balloon impression from her.

V
Psychotic response to child's song. - Robin
I have had some very strange looks when singing The Wheels on The Bus whilst stuck in traffic. Fortunately nothing as bad as your experience but it has crossed my mind that the hand signals and the appearance of talking in an apparently empty car may be taken as insulting by some ejit with a fragile ego.

Sad isn't it that even when singing to your child you have to worry about the effect it might have on some thicky.
Psychotic response to child's song. - HF
Absolutely! There are many times when I have had to ask my kids to stop whatever they are doing in the back of the car to amuse themselves, just in case they might offend a fellow road-user who might misinterpret their actions, and take offence. Ridiculous, and not the sort of thing that kids should have to be made to think of, but true nonetheless.
Psychotic response to child's song. - blowpipe
Absolutely! There are many times when I have had to ask
my kids to stop whatever they are doing in the back
of the car to amuse themselves, just in case they might
offend a fellow road-user who might misinterpret their actions, and take
offence.

My worst was a case of car sickness that decorated a following car...still, better than inside mine.
Psychotic response to child's song. - HF
Ugh - but yes!
Psychotic response to child's song. - joe
I once made the mistake of taking a tape of this bl***y song with me on a family holiday to the south of France. We had to have it on all the way there and all the way back. I had my own psychotic response in the queue for the ferry at Calais and slung it out the window. There was such a fuss in back seat that I had to pull over at the first services on the M20 and buy another tape, containing an even more irritating version.