Ford Focus 1.6 petrol 2001 - Intermittent starting problem - Tom H

Occasionally the starter motor does not turn the engine at all. After one or more further attempts it succeeds and the engine starts normally. The battery is about 4 years old. I would prefer not to replace the battery or starter motor on the basis of a guess (or even a retailer's battery test, call me a cynic). If anyone has a better suggestion I'd be very grateful.

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol 2001 - Intermittent starting problem - tdc

You could try a retailers test if free,you`re not obliged to buy a new one from them and they may be honest and tell you battery is ok.Borrow someone`s similar a/h battery for elimination purposes?

Starter motor connections can corrode so worth removing leads and cleaning up terminals.Assume you`ve done same with battery?Perhaps the brushes are worn down/commutator caked up,bendix mechanism/bushes dry....maybe starter just needs stripping and a good clean.Watch the long thin bolts which hold the starter together,they seize and are easy to snap off.

Failing that you should be able to get cheap second hand starter for these or recon unit.

Edited by tdc on 08/12/2010 at 14:36

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol 2001 - Intermittent starting problem - Tom H

Many thanks tdc, that sounds like good advice.