Adding VAT to advertised used car price - cilvilservant

Hello

In my naviety I'd always presumed when buying a used car, that one would pay the price marked on the windscreen, with the exception of possibly road tax etc.

However, I've come across a supposedly reputable main dealer who added VAT to the price of the advertised price. I know generally one is expected to pay VAT but in my experience, these tend to be built into the advertised price.

So, my question is, can a dealer add VAT to the advertised price when finalising the deal?

Thanks.

Adding VAT to advertised used car price - jc2

The price shown must either include VAT or CLEARLY state that it does not include VAT-anything else is ILLEGAL.

Adding VAT to advertised used car price - Dutchie

I dont know if its illegal or not but charging the VAT on top without stating this is not ethical.

Adding VAT to advertised used car price - Zippy123
I didn't think that used cars attracted VAT in full, only on the dealers margin?

Oh well!

Edited by Zippy123 on 23/10/2010 at 16:59

Adding VAT to advertised used car price - bonzo dog

As we all know, new cars attract VAT. The vast majority of used cars, as Zippy says, are VATable on the dealer's margin. However some used cars are classified as "VAT qualifying"; whilst I'm not 100% certain, this is my understanding:

Where the car is first bought (ie as new) by a business who has successfully argued his case that he can reclaim the VAT element of the car, when it is re-sold, this price is plus VAT. When it is subsequently re-sold, VAT is applied to the margin as usual, thus no VAT to the purchaser.

So, civilservent, if the car is a VAT qualifying car it will be plus VAT but if not or if the person you are buying it off was not the original owner then no VAT is chargable to you. If the latter the vendor is clearly trying to take you for a ride.

Good luck

Adding VAT to advertised used car price - Dutchie

The vendor taking you for a ride where have i heard that before.

Adding VAT to advertised used car price - a900ss

Does the dealer specialize in cars or commercial vehicles (vans etc)?

Van sales are normally always plus VAT but never heard of a car sale plus VAT.

Edited by a900ss on 23/10/2010 at 21:34

Adding VAT to advertised used car price - cilvilservant

Thank you chaps.

It wasn't me who bought the car. I'm not sure who the previous owner was so not sure on this VAT qualifying element. However, the price advertised did not state "plus VAT". Thus my understanding is that you only pay the price marked up. Interesting thing is that there was a sales weekend and they knocked off some money of the price but they made this up by charging full VAT on the sales price when doing the paperwork.

The dealers does indeed do commercial vehicles as well as cars but wouldn't have thought they could still do this.

My own view is that if they haven't broken the law by charging VAT like this, they have possibly broken the law by sticking a price up and then adding VAT, without it being stated this is the case.

I will encourage this perspn to call Consumer Focus or Trading Standard for advice. But the person who bought the car is of the view that a main dealer like this wouldn't blatantly break the law so must be within their rights.

Adding VAT to advertised used car price - bonzo dog

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm

seems to say that the price displayed must be with the VAT element (either plus or inclusive). There is another section on the retail motor trade but this is regarding where & when to charge VAT, & does not state that different rules apply to the labeling of the goods.

"that a main dealer like this wouldn't blatantly break the law "

ha! ha! ha! ha! Main dealers, like every other dealer in the country break the law regularly

Adding VAT to advertised used car price - julie page

www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/reclaiming/motoring.h...3

aparently you can claim back and charge vat on cars that were taxis, pool cars, driving instructor or hire cars but I bought a ex Avis car and was never charged VAT

It should be clear in the disply price it is + Vat

Most secondhand cars bought at dealers have VAT added in the disply price but I believe it is ony charged on the profit on the car and can not be claimed back - Might be wrong but i tink I am correct

Adding VAT to advertised used car price - rogue-trooper

I was at a dealer the other day getting a key sorted out, and when I asked about the VAT element on a 2nd hand car, he looked at me as if I was a simpleton and said that there was no VAT in 2nd hand cars. I mentioned the dealer's margin scheme and he still looked at me as if I was a simpleton.

I guess he had no idea of what I was talking about. This was compounded by him saying that when the soft roader engaged a low ratio gear box when it went from 2WD to 4WD.

Adding VAT to advertised used car price - barney100

Thats just not on, every second hand car i have bought has been the price displayed. i would just walk away and go elsewhere, there are plenty of cars and dealers around.

Adding VAT to advertised used car price - danidge
I believe a business cannot reclaim the VAT on new cars and the purchase cost is offset against tax over a number of years. This helped bring about the trend towards leasing and contract hire. On the monthly payments VAT can be fully reclaimed and the costs are fully tax allowable. Tax is always changing so if there is an accountant reading this please enlighten everybody!