None ... that's the problem - Driving Exam Question - scousedan

Hi all, 1st post here so apologies if this isn't the place to make introductions.

I'll get to the motoring part of the question in a minute.

Can anyone advise if you had a faulty fuse on an old Punto which was causing the window wipers to stay on would a driving examiner have the right to refuse to let you sit your test?

Problem for me is that tomorrow morning I'm supposed to be sitting mine, in my Mum's old banger and today it has started acting up. Took it to Kwik-Fit and they didn't want to know (too close to closing time) so out of options with regards to repairing it. It may rain up here in the north as usual, the one time I'll be praying for it in fact!

I'm looking for an oldish car (can't afford anything younger than 6 years by the look of it - £3k), I'd like at most a 1.4 engine and for it to be reliable because it's going to be doing 350 miles on motorways every week - can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

None ... that's the problem - Driving Exam Question - Dutchie

Hello Scousedan,regarding the wipers I suppose the examiner could refuse to do the test .If it is the fuse take it out and hope it does't rain.A bit of a catch 22.Regarding the car so many choices look for condition and owners for £3k.Ford Focus plenty for sale ok on the m/way 1.6 petrol.Good luck with your test.

Thanks Dutchie, sounds like an option. Gotta also pray they don't ask me to show them how to clean my windscreen! I could be cynical, take a minor fault and tell them I don't know I suppose :D

If I can find the fuse and take it out tonight will it go back into 'always on' mode if I refit it in the morning (in case of rain)?

Cheers

Good luck mate:)

Try it out regarding the fuse can't think of anything else if you have to put the fuse back do so.Maybe you have some time in the morning before your test you don't want to fail your test because of something daft.

Not looking forward to it - wish we had reliable weather! I'll do the fuse in the morning based on how the clouds look.

Thanks again.

None ... that's the problem - Driving Exam Question - Dwight Van Driver

Catch 22 situation

Wipers on all time in dry Examiner refuses.

Fuse removed - OFFENCE - wipers not maintained in good and efficient condition (Con

and Use Regs) - another refused and a FPN or VDRS or Court

dvd

None ... that's the problem - Driving Exam Question - dieselnut

It's probably due to a faulty switch mounted on the steering column. The contacts sometimes break then short out.

Sometimes a sharp bash on the column may clear it but you will need a new switch or one from a breakers.

Hope the test went ok.

My son had a similar problem when he took his test in our old Citroen CX ( what a barge to take your test in).

The day before the test the engine refused to stop with the ignition key off due to a faulty stop solenoid in the diesel pump.

He had to stall the engine to stop it, made sure the handbrake was on solid & foot on the brake.

Passed ok.