BMW320D Touring - Recommended Tyres - peterincongleton2

I need to replace my PIRELLI P6000 195/65 R15 91H (or V) tyres on my 2001 BMW 320D Touring with alloy wheels . Are there any better tyres available with combination of smoother running or better traction in wet / on ice or better cornering or longer life? The MICHELIN Energy Saver publicity sounds interesting and Leeboy mentioned UNIROYAL Rainsport and a local company suggested AVON ZV3 - which are best? I only drive 8000 miles per year; 30% in dry / 70% wet or ice; 80% A roads / 20% M roads. Any advice would be appreciated.

BMW320D Touring - Recommended Tyres - Aocal

I'm not going to recommend any specifc tyres but in terms of changing the tyres on your BWW, maybe you should read what happened to me. Might save you a bit of grief..

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=50494

Incidentally, since all that bother I have stuck with Dunlop on that car and the 5 Series I purchased afterwards.

Good luck!

Adam

Thanks Aocal. What a saga!

I definitely need a set of 4 but the only positive suggestions (not 320D specific) so far:

UNIROYAL Rainmax 2

GOODYEAR Excellence

MICHELIN Energy Saver 2

Has anyone had recent experience with:

AVON ZV3

PIRELLI P6000 (mine are at least 6 years old)

BMW320D Touring - Recommended Tyres - gordonbennet
70% wet and icy roads i'd be wanting all season tyres.

You'd be hard pushed to better Vredestein Quatrac 3.

Hello GB and earlier Helpers

I finally opted for 15-inch MICHELIN Energy Savers and have used them for approx. 1 month - in all weathers, except snow / ice. I can now report my findings:

Soft / smooth / quiet / comfortable / safe "feel"

but this is probably due to them being modern and brand new and therefore not necessarily better than current PIRELLI 6000 - but simply compared to my 6-year old, worn PIRELLI 6000.

Thanks for your advice. It must be nigh-on impossible to find an objective comparison for a particular car model.

peterincongleton2

BMW320D Touring - Recommended Tyres - Collos25

Good year vector all season.

BMW320D Touring - Recommended Tyres - Roly93

Has anyone had recent experience with:

AVON ZV3

Not ZV3 but ZV5 I have, and considering they are supposed to be better I am far from impressed. Yes they are cheap, but on my Audi, they wore quickly and on one of them the sidewall totally broke up after 17K miles almost causing a motorway blowout. Therefore I am not a fan of Avons any more and think they are cheap for a reason frankly.

Even when they were new, handling and noise were at best average.

I now have some Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics which I am very impressed with in every respect.

If you can afford Michelins however this would be my ultimate choice.

Edited by Roly93 on 08/11/2010 at 19:36