Nissan Almera - Looking for buying advice on a 2004 Nissan Almera. - bigdavethehorn

I’ve found a 54 plate Nissan Almera with 40,400 miles on the clock. The log book has service stamps for circa 6,000 miles, circa 15,000 miles and again at circa 40,000 miles.

I’m wondering what happened between 15,000 & 40,000.

My motoring knowledge amounts to checking for even tyre wear and having a look at the brake discs (don’t even know how to check pads) therefore I’d be grateful for some opinions on whether the service history between 15,000 & 40,000 miles is absolutely necessary.

I know that these engines are chain driven, and that clean oil is essential for a long life, so I am slightly weary. Perhaps anyone who has bought and sold a few cars could advise whether missing stamps are common? Could it be a case of the former owner simply testing a local independent mechanic?

I should add that before I purchase the car, it will be inspected by my employer’s fleet services unit.

Thanks in advance.

Nissan Almera - Looking for buying advice on a 2004 Nissan Almera. - bathtub tom

Timing chain, Timing chain, Timing chain!

If it rattles, walk away.

These engines are renowned for wearing their chains, particularly if the oil isn't changed regularly. They seem to be particularly vulnerable after 30K. £1K main dealer replacement cost.

Have the headlamps been changed? The reflectors/bulb holders can melt. They were replaced free by Nissan dealers. Check the beam patterns and brightness.

I've had a 2003 model for several years. I bought it because they were so cheap. It's had an O2 sensor done under warranty (remember the Tesco petrol problem?), a faulty seat belt electrical connector problem (£70 main dealer) and I've just had to change a broken front spring (£50 from motor factors).

They're a boring, reliable motor that do what they're designed to do.

That reminds me, I must change its engine oil.

Nissan Almera - Looking for buying advice on a 2004 Nissan Almera. - bigdavethehorn

The dealer started the engine and it sounded lovely, there was no hint of a chain like noise.

If I buy it, the car would be serviced on time and the oil will be changed between services, I’m just a little concerned that damage may have been done if it hasn’t been serviced between 15,000 and 40,000.

I presume there's no way of knowing?

How can I check whether the headlights have been replaced?

Edited by bigdavethehorn on 16/09/2010 at 23:17

Nissan Almera - Looking for buying advice on a 2004 Nissan Almera. - bathtub tom

Turn up and listen to the engine when it's stone cold. Take it for an extended test drive and thrash the guts out of it and then listen to the engine again when it's hot.

I should think a main dealer will tell you if the headlamps have been done if you give them the VIN.

Nissan Almera - Looking for buying advice on a 2004 Nissan Almera. - Glenn 42

I own a 55 1.5 Almera and be wary of one thing, the gearbox. Shortly after buying this car 2 years ago, the gearbox leaked a load of oil and I needed a new gearbox: fortunately done under the dealer's warranty. A few people on Nissan forums have mentioned gearboxes failing prematurely, I think this something to do with a weak bearing, but surely not at 20,000 miles.

However, on the other hand, the timing chain and headlamp problem related to pre 2004 cars and so long as the oil is changed regularly, the chain shouldn't stretch. Also being chain driven you don't have to be worry about the belt being changed or buying a new one. As for the oil, one interesting thing I have found is the 1.5 engine does have a small sump, 2.7 litres against 4-5 litres for its rivals, so the car can appear to be using more oil than you imagine, as my local garage told me today when he did an oil service and the level was down( though nowhere near minimum levels).

The main advantages of Almeras are as the car is terminally unfashionable and out of production, so used prices are low, even top of the range 06 plates can be found for £ 3000. Also fuel consumption is good, the driving experience is reasonable and the car will cruise happily all day on the motorway, servicing costs away from dealers are low, equipment levels good and the engines are reliable.

Nissan Almera - Looking for buying advice on a 2004 Nissan Almera. - Sam49

I've got a 2000/1 1.8 Almera, so one of the earlier "new" shapes. It's done 108,000 miles now. It's well used but well loved and it's been very reliable (I wrote a reader review of it elsewhere on the site).

I've had no timing chain problems, car gets serviced once a year. I do about 12,000 a year so that actually falls outside the suggested service intervals ( I don't change the oil in-between either, as some people suggest) but no harm seems to have been done. As the car's getting on a bit, I went and asked the guys at Nissan about the timing chain; they suggested, as you have done, that checking oil levels nice and regularly is the way to go about it. They intimated that it's a lack of oil supply that causes problems (this may be exacerbated by the small sump, mentioned above). I don't know that much about the technical side of cars, so they could be bulls***ting me, but it seems to make sense - "look after it and it'll look after you, it's got plenty of life left" was the gist of it...It's not liked they sucked their teeth and tried to flog me a Nissan Note!

As for the car in question with the service history missing, again as stated above, these cars are low priced, often low mileage and I reckon there will be plenty of others around with FSH. It is possible to get the millimetres of the timing chain stretch checked as well. If it's outside the recommended parameters, then walk away.

Aside from that, I think these are excellent cars and I'm going to run mine till it drops, which, as things stand doesn't seem likely in the near future....famous last words!!

Nissan Almera - Looking for buying advice on a 2004 Nissan Almera. - Glenn 42

Hello, Sam, the sump is a little too small, which could have exacerbated the chain problem, but the stretched timing chain is more an issue with pre 2004 cars and doesn't affect cars on 53 plates onwards. I must admit I have been a bit lazy in the oil checking department, as I am so used to cars that barely use a drop, but will be a bit more vigilant as I didn't realise how small the sump was. However, the Almera will be going soon and, if it wasn't for the gearbox seizing up, I would have stayed with Nissan as in other respects the car has been good.