any - VASCAR app for iPhone (does not exist yet! ) - skyflyer

I am considering paying a developer to create a VASCAR app for the iPhone/iPad, but this wouldnt be cost effective unless it sold a couple of thousand copies. It wont ever be a big moneyspinner, that's not the point - I just thought it would be fun!

I would be interested in the opinions of iPhone owning members as to whether they would in principle pay 59p (or 1$) for such an app. Bear in mind its not a negotiation - I cant do it for free, it's pay the minimum or I can't do it

(obviously this is just opinion canvassing - nobody is comitting to anything and no record of anyone's details will be kept - havent got time for that!)

The sort of thing I would envisage is

A user of the iPhone app would be travelling as a passenger in a car and would observe another
car passing at speed. The user would then tap large buttons on the screen for the events when:
target vehicle passes start point,
current vehicle passes start point,
target vehicle passes end
point, current vehicle passes end point.

While the measurement system is inactive (i.e. until a car whose
speed to measure comes by), the main screen can show a map to indicate the current position.
When the user taps a button “Target passed Start Point”, the system will enter measurement mode.

The results screen will immediately show the results of the measurements just taken.
eg,
• Time the target vehicle took (seconds).
• Distance travelled (in KM or miles).
• Calculated speed of target vehicle (Km/H or MPH).

The app could also be used by 'pre-measuring' a distance and then timing different vehicles over that distance. This could be done from a staionary point provided the user can see the start and end points. It could thus be used, for example, to determine the speed of a number of vehicles over a given track or course.

I have other ideas for refinements and so forth, but at this stage just want to do a bit of market research on it.

All sensible thoughts and comments welcome.

any - VASCAR app for iPhone (does not exist yet! ) - likerocks

just one question - why would you (or in fact anybody else who is not a law enforcement officer) want such an app?

any - VASCAR app for iPhone (does not exist yet! ) - Armstrong Sid

just one question - why would you (or in fact anybody else who is not a law enforcement officer) want such an app?

Boy racers, so they can time themselves from one end of the retail park to the other at midnight

any - VASCAR app for iPhone (does not exist yet! ) - mike hannon
Bored sales reps, etc, so they can dream about their next company car.
To be operated by a passenger - yeah, right.
any - VASCAR app for iPhone (does not exist yet! ) - likerocks

somehow I think that boy racers are at the opposite end of the market to the one intended for this suspected "walter mitty" proposal!