Poor eye sight. - Dutchie

Hello forum readers,i am sure this subject has been mentioned before.Read a article that lots of people driving around with poor eyesight and not wearing spectacles.I don't know how they got the information but it makes me wonder how many accidents are caused by poor eyesight.I wear glasses and always have a spare pair in the car with me in case i damage the ones i am wearing.

Poor eye sight. - LucyBC
According to research* about 1/3 of drivers risk driving without glasses when they should really wear them. It is an offence and they risk 3 points and a fine (up to £1000).

(*I should add that the research was undertaken on behalf of Specsavers.)
Poor eye sight. - Dutchie

Thanks Lucy Specsavers i didn't know.

Poor eye sight. - LucyBC

I don't think the Specsavers connection negates the post. There is a real problem with drivers not being able to see properly.

Poor eye sight.-peg - peg

I can't believe that bi-annual eye test has not been a mandetory requirement particularly in this health& safety world. At least this is safety related and has got to save lives.

It could be flagged at DVLA as is mot/tax/ins. It would be a comfort to know that drivers around you could at least see.

Poor eye sight.-peg - Kiwi Gary

Re flagging in records, In NZ, any requirements for spectacles when driving is endorsed on the licence, so any police checks can instantly see whether specs are required. Great is the reduction in wallet thickness if any such requirement is not met. Eyesight checks are required for each licence renewal.

Poor eye sight.-peg - retgwte

new zealand where the average braking distance is half an inch

Poor eye sight.-peg - piston power

My grandfather is 89 still driving with one eye good vision other blurred & he wears glasses but they can't do any better for him but as he says if he has no car how will he get the shopping!

His driving is ok still but while he can he will.

Poor eye sight.-peg - Dutchie

I can't see any problem with your grandfather driving at 89 his perception and awareness might be a lot better than other drivers.Every individual is different my grandfather when he was in his late seventies was still piloting ships.

Poor eye sight.-peg - captain chaos

Is this why everyone drives with their lights on during the day? Except me.

I only use my wipers when it's raining. Perhaps I'm missing something :)

Poor eye sight.-peg - madf

Day time running lights on all new EC cars from 2011 iirc...

Captain Chaos: Please keep up to date! :-)

"

Legal Directive

In September 2008 the European Commission adopted a proposal for a Directive that will introduce dedicated daytime running light (DRL) on all new types of passenger cars and small delivery vans from February 2011 onwards. Trucks and buses will follow from August 2012 onwards.

There will be no requirement to retro-fit daytime running lights to existing cars and no Europe-wide requirement for drivers of cars without dedicated daytime running lights to drive with headlights on during the day.

Where fitted, dedicated daytime running lights will switch on automatically when the engine is started. "

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html

Poor eye sight.-peg - Dutchie

Driving with lights on is not to see in daytime but to be seen i think this is the idear.I have noticed that as the nights are drawing in a lot of car and lorry drivers drive in semi darkness with no lights on.Must be difficult to find the switch.

Poor eye sight.-peg - peg

I beleive it's a legal requirement to drive on dipped headlights when raining and wipers in use(not parking/sidelights),but most seem to ignore this no matter how poor the visability.