Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci 2006 - Diesel rev limiter and MOT - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

I can't for the life of me see why the rev limiter on my Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci (2006) needs to be set to 5000rpm. I can see why it is set to that figure - it shows the customer that the car has a flexible engine which can rev, and it allows for the fitting of an impressive rev-counter in the dash. However, in normal driving, mine very, very, rarely goes over 3000rpm and never, ever, gets up to 4000rpm. It's a diesel, for goodness sake, made for low-end torque an a long lasting engine. The first time it was revved to its limit was on its first MOT at 75,000 miles and they blew the seats out of the injectors. They blamed it on my using Morrisons B30 bio-diesel and charged me £160 for the repair. Before its second MOT I had a new cambelt fitted 'just-in-case' and it got through without a problem, but the MOT would be a happier experience if the rev limiter was set to a lower figure. Even happier if they did away with this stupid 'blow its camshaft off and see what else will break' test! Is there anyone who can plug in a laptop and alter the rev limit to 4000rpm without upsetting any other settings?

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci 2006 - Diesel rev limiter and MOT - bimmer-driver

Blowing injector seals is common on this engine anyway. If they hadn't gone on the MOT they would have pretty soon after. Probably because the engine has never had a proer workout. It does them good you know.

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci 2006 - Diesel rev limiter and MOT - 659FBE

I hate the diesel smoke test - it's not even a representative test as the engine is unloaded.

I have two diesel cars, one with an old Bosch VE pump and one a fly by wire PD. At MOT time I always reset the VE governor to 3000 rpm (my application of this pump has 2 max speed stops on the governor, so I temporarily "enable" the second stop at a lower speed than the set speed. This means you don't lose the factory setting. Obviously, at 3000 rpm it gives brilliant smoke readings.

The PD is more difficult but a small spacer under the accelerator pedal limits max speed quite effectively. The VAG pedal is quite a chunky affair with a big limit stop buffer - so I just blutack another one on top of it. Works like a charm.

I will not have Euro clipboard merchants endangering my diesel engines by running them in a mode for which they were not designed.

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci 2006 - Diesel rev limiter and MOT - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Yes - a block under the pedal. Crude 'appen, but I'll try it. (I actually need blocks on the pedals 'cos I'm a shorta**e). Thanks for the tip.

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci 2006 - Diesel rev limiter and MOT - jc2

Find an MOT place that knows the "modern" smoke test.You then only go to the high speed one if it fails the new one.

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci 2006 - Diesel rev limiter and MOT - jc2

It's called "Fastpass".

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci 2006 - Diesel rev limiter and MOT - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Please do not keep this a secret. What is the new MOT test that does not involve revving the nuts off a diesel?

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci 2006 - Diesel rev limiter and MOT - dieselnut

I think they are still supposed to take the engine to the limiter (the more knowlegable testers don't) but get to max revs gradually. If the reading is less than 1.5 it passes without further abuse.

I took my C5 fitted with DPF a few years ago.

Although it had covered 150k miles, the inside of the original exhaust tail pipe was still silver, no soot at all.

The tester kept revving & revving it, more than the 6 times he was supposed to.

The test sheet showed 0.01, I think he thought his test equipment was faulty, no fast pass then.

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci 2006 - Diesel rev limiter and MOT - mattbod

I think the smoke test will be superfluous and not necessary for all DPF cars surely?

Thanks to all of you for all that... Just Googled "Fast Pass" and got this -

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_740.htm

Seems they still take it to the rev limit, and like I say, I think that a limit of 5000rpm on my engine is ridiculously over the normal operating range of the engine and only set at that figure for show. After all, the purpose of the limiter is to protect the engine in case of a failure such as burning its own oil if overfilled... Modern petrol engines will rev to 5000rpm with ease but have much lighter reciprocating bits than a diesel.

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci 2006 - Diesel rev limiter and MOT - bathtub tom

>>the purpose of the limiter is to protect the engine in case of a failure such as burning its own oil if overfilled...

The limiter will not stop the engine over revving in those circumstances. The limiter controls the flow of fuel to the engine, if the engine's running on some other source (sauce?) then it's liable to rev to destruction.

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci 2006 - Diesel rev limiter and MOT - 659FBE

The "rev limiter" or maximum speed governor as it is more correctly described will not protect a diesel engine from running away if it burns its own oil. (Or stray butane if it lives in the bottom of a boat).

The only sanction the governor has is to control the engine fuelling. In car applications, a 2 speed govenor is generally fitted which is designed to hold the required idle speed over a range of engine loads, and to limit the maximum engine speed as previously detailed. Overspeed from either oil ingestion or running down a hill is beyond the control of the governor.

A maximum speed limit is set for any diesel in order to protect the rotating and reciprocating engine components. As most of the forces generated through rotation vary as the square of speed and because diesel engine components are heavily loaded, a governor is essential. Bearing and component loadings can be exceeded very quickly.

The "MOT" smoke test is unrepresentative as the governor will reduce fuelling as the speed limit is approached. Engine load is required to ensure that maximum fuel and therefore the highest smoke level is reached. Observe a laden lorry climbing a hill.

The main problem arising from unloaded maximum governed speed is that of torsional oscillation in the crankshaft. The load on an engine damps the driving end of the crank (the free end incorporates its own vibration damper) and dangerous levels of oscillation can occur when the engine is run at high speeds without load.

Edited by 659FBE on 27/08/2010 at 19:05