Ford Fiesta: 2001 1.25 Zetec - Timing Belt Tensioner, change of design? - jbswagger

Hi,

I am chaging the timing belt and tensioner on my wife's 2001 1.25 Zetec and have a question about the tensioner design that I hope someone may be able to help with.

From the Haynes manual I know there are three types fitted and have identified mine as the one they refer to as type 3. On the tensioner backplate it has one mounting hole at the bottom and a slot in the centre for another bolt but you tension the belt manually by lining up the arrow with the slot on the backplate and tightening the centre bolt.

However the replacement that came with the kit from Unipart does not have the adjustable slot, just a hole and no way of adjusting the tension ( I presume it does it automatically as you release the pin?) Is the one in the kit ok to fit as when I queried the difference at the shop I got it from the guy said 'it must be the right one, it's the only one listed'.

Thanks for your help,

Ford Fiesta: 2001 1.25 Zetec - Timing Belt Tensioner, change of design? - jbswagger

I've since worked out that the replacement tensioner is the type 1 (as Haynes refers to it).

Basically is it ok to fit a different type of tensioner when putting it back or must I replace like with like? I would have thought they would do the job but why did Ford change the type of tensioner then?