family coupe convertible - flunky

Getting bored of the Volvo S80 (2.5T) after 3 years, went to test-drive a used C70. It was the C70 2.4 petrol manual (168bhp), which felt disappointingly underpowered compared to what I'm used to, although it wasn't terrible. Wasn't keen on the pale blue either, was more effeminate than I was expecting....

We only do about 5k miles per year so not too concerned about fuel economy.

I'm guessing a T5 manual (don't like autos) is probably in order. Something like this: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201022360156834/ Though perhaps 60,000 miles is a bit on the high side - wondering about all those 'up and down's on the convertible mechanism.

Otherwise there are:

3-series (not keen on BMW image)
VW EOS
Lexus IS (still too new to be cheap, so not really an option)
Chrysler Sebring
Ford Focus

and a few French cars, which I won't consider.

I suspect the 3-series is probably best, followed by the EOS and then C70. Thoughts?

Price-wise autotrader shows EOSes from £13k @ 2 years, Focuses at £9k at 2 years, Sebrings £14k at 1ish year old, C70s at £15k at 2 years and 3 series at £20/£21k at 2 years.

family coupe convertible - legacylad

flunky

I bought my '04 330Ci convertible in Jan this year. It was second choice to an MX5 but I could not legally fit a towbar to the Mazda.

It was under 6" of snow at the time, at the bottom of a long ice covered drive so I could not even road test it! Two previous careful owners, only 42k miles, 4 good tyres, but it needed a major service. Change from £10k. Currently averaging 34mpg and regularly driven very briskly. A fabulous engine. Great build quality. A friend is now on his third and rates it higher than his current new model 335.

Easy decision...but wait until the Nov/January 3 month window before buying privately as I did.

hmm, I stopped by the Mercedes dealer, had a brief look at their E350 CDI demonstrator, nice car, but was a bit put off by what he said about not letting bird mess stay on the roof (that's not a problem but it would be parked under an oak tree which spends two months dripping sticky sap/bug juice), so I rather discounted the soft-tops.

I suppose in theory the BMW will retain more value, but I tend to assume my car will be all but worthless when I'm done with it, and the main depreciation difference is Y1, which mainly reflects their lack of discounting (Volvo dealer offered me £6.1k off a new T5), and the BMW's still the biggest liability.

I guess it's worth giving a current 3-series a test drive, along with the Eos, and then as you say buying one in the depths of winter....

family coupe convertible - Avant

I'd choose between the Eos, Audi A4/5 and BMW 3-series. Something with 6 cylinders (petrol or diesel) is a lot more satisfying if you can run to it.

I've never tried a Sebring but they were rubbished by the magazines when they came out.

(Edit - I posted this before your post about the car being parked under an oak tree: so forget the soft-top Audi!)

Edited by Avant on 04/08/2010 at 01:19

just checked insurance costs for these:

C70/EOS £400/year
325i £525/year

A 10-year-old M3 (with the old £200/year VED) runs to £800/year....

family coupe convertible - barney100

You can always cover the soft top with a simple pvc sheet which stop anything getting on it. A treatment once in a while with conditioner keeps the roof in good order.

family coupe convertible - Neiltoo

You could look at the SAAB.

I leased my 2007 9-3 2T Aero for three years, and now I've bought it.

I guess you have to believe that SAAB will continue to survive, or better.

Fuel consumption is a little high at about 27mpg, but in four years my only major cost has been front tyres - two sets in 25000 miles - but that may be my driving technique.

family coupe convertible - Neiltoo

Sorry, should have added that for a family car we found that the SAAB had the best rear seat leg and headroom of all the convertibles we looked at.

We've just been for a long weekend in North Yorkshire with four adults in perfect comfort.

SAAB have been discounting the Vector model. But probably not now. Prices on convertibles will stay high until the Autumn.

reporting back on this, have test-driven the Eos (2.0T) now too. Much better than the C70 in handling and power. Also quite smooth even on the 18" low-profile wheels.

However interior specs betray the fact that the car is basically a Golf GTI convertible - they don't match up the Volvo, and the base model really puts the poverty into poverty spec.