2002 Ford Ka (Endura-e) - Ford KA Spark Plug Removal Advice - dsuk81

I tried to remove the spark plugs of my 2002 Ford Ka yesterday with no luck.

I cleaned around the plugs first to ensure no debris enters the engine, then i tried turning the plugs lightly using a spark plug removal tool (t-shaped). I didnt want to apply to much pressue and cause any damage, but obviously these t-shaped spark plug tools dont apply that much torque.

I applied some WD-40 and warmed the engine slightly (idle for 2-3mins) and re-tried still with no luck.

The plugs are NGK replacements so hopefully havent rusted like a ford (motorcraft) plug would have, however i dont know how long they have been in (i suspect about 3-4 years)

Any advice?

2002 Ford Ka (Endura-e) - Ford KA Spark Plug Removal Advice - madf

Been there, done that with a Ford Fiesta.

Have you a spare 2-3 days when you don't need to drive the car?

The trick is to dissolve a bit of the rust...

First use tissues clean off ALL WD40 residues... Use paraffin to do it (or meths) WHEN the engine is COLD.. (RISK of fire otherwise..). Do not start engine at all for 30 minutes after this due to fire risk.

Then take some Bluetack/plasticine /putty and build a little bridge on the block below each sparkplug so you have a little dam.

Fill the dam with vinegar (the cheaper the better).. so the sparkplus well is full.

Leave for two days.

Drain and dry plug wells with tissue (no paraffin).

Vinegar dissolves rust and is very penetrating.

Then use penetrating oil..lft for at leat an hour.

And try removing.

If you dissolve rust you have more chance of breaking any seal.

Time is of the essence.. You need at least two days soaking..

Edit : start on Friday night, finish Sunday pm.. but Monday is better.

(I also used this trick to remove steel bolts corroded to aluminium housing)

Edited by Avant on 03/08/2010 at 00:45

2002 Ford Ka (Endura-e) - Ford KA Spark Plug Removal Advice - injection doc

The soaking usually works but if not and the plug shears off all you need to do is to drive a spline tool hard down the middle of the plug & then unwind. used to do so may it got boring. never removed a head yet for a siezed plug in a ford.