Legality of UK rental car with no MPH indication - AndyNZ
I recently rented a car from Hertz at Belfast International Airport and noticed shortly after getting onto the open road that the speedo was only in KPH with no MPH markings on the car at all. Equally there was no mileage recording, only kilometres. Not very convenient when driving in Northern Ireland where everything is miles and MPH.

Now my mental gymnastics is not too bad so for the couple of hours I drove in Northern Ireland I was able to manage although I find it a bit strange. I live in New Zealand and have become totally accustomed to kilometre distances and speeds since moving here. Miles are now a little alien to me. Since I was headed for the Republic of Ireland where everything is now in km & kph there wasn't a major issue.

I am curious as to the legality of what Hertz did, hiring me a car in the UK which was unable to tell me whether I was driving within the law. Hertz claim there is no issue with it, I dispute that, but want to find some solid (preferably direct legal references) backing for my view (assuming I'm correct).

Can anyone help out with legal references or other information about the legality of this?

Many thanks
Andy
Legality of UK rental car with no MPH indication - LucyBC

They probably sourced in in the Irish Republic where at the moment new cars are cheaper. It is not illegal to supply or rent a car in the UK which only has kilometers.

I think there is something in the MOT test - others in this forum will know more about that than me - but this will not apply to a newer vehicle.

Legality of UK rental car with no MPH indication - AndyNZ

They did source in the Republic. Was clear from the dealer stickers on it, but was registered in Northern Ireland.

Hertz is run as a single franchise for the whole of Ireland. Customer service is based in the Republic. They have been singularly unhelpful.

Legality of UK rental car with no MPH indication - LucyBC

It would obviously be good practice to put stickers on it for common speed limits but they don't have to. As far as I remember this is all that is needed for a Km clock car to pass an MoT.