seat ibiza 2005 reg. - Stiff steering - lju00dt

Hi - only had my ibiza for a few months so not sure if this is a common problem or not.

the steering on my ibiza has all of a sudden become stiff when doing tight corners.

it seems to be fine doing light steering - but when i slow down into 2nd for example to right a 90 degree turn - the steering becomes increadibly tight - almost like i have my foot firm on the brake.

is this simply to do with the power steering fluid levels which i could do myself or is it likely to be something deeper rooted?

Thanks

seat ibiza 2005 reg. - Stiff steering - Peter D

The steering hydraulic pump is electric and it sounds at though it is failing or the controller has become voltage sensitive and it works then the battery voltage is 14 or so but then you slow down the valtage falls a little to say 13.8 or 13.9 and the controller/pump is dropping out. I assume you have check the fluid level. Regards Peter

steering rack - lju00dt

apparently my steering rack needs replacing - this is quite a big job.

the car is 4 yrs old and done 34,000 miles. should this be going now??

I have only had it for 4 months - what could have caused the reack to need replacing so i can be aware of it in the future.

thanks

steering rack - Peter.N.

I'm afraid that this is how modern cars are getting, few of them seem as durable as the '90s cars. They are the only cars I run.