Nissan D21 Pickup - Random power loss - Tommk4

Hi there, basically I have an L-reg Nissan D21 pickup. Yes I know its old, but its in good nick and its not done silly milage (about 130k).

Now the engine runs sweet, it sounds fine and there is no black smoke or any signs of mechanical upset.

However whilst driving along the power seems to vary quite a lot, its not too extreme, I can keep up with other traffic etc and there does not appear to be any pattern to it. But it will just loose power suddenly, it feels like turbo lag or like the brakes are being lightly applied. Then, very gradualy it will wear off.

There is no change in engine noise and no smoke when it happens....Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks for reading, Tom

PS its a non turbo engine.

Edited by Tommk4 on 01/06/2010 at 22:20

Nissan D21 Pickup - Random power loss - Peter.N.

Old are the best sort. Have you changed the fuel filter recently?

Edited by Peter.N. on 01/06/2010 at 22:41

Nissan D21 Pickup - Random power loss - Tommk4

I agree...although L reg is a bit too modern for my preference usually.

No I havent changed the fuel filter recently now i think about it...could a dirty filter cause symptoms like this? I assumed a drity filter would cause more of a constant power loss.

Nissan D21 Pickup - Random power loss - Peter.N.

Definitly, I had a Citroen CX that used to stop completely when the filter needed changing, the effect depends largly on the ammount of fuel you are demanding.

I run three 'N' reg XMs, IDI, engines last forever.

Nissan D21 Pickup - Random power loss - carr

Yes, definitely check the fuel filter, I had the same problem with my diesel X-trail. There seems to be a lot of dodgy diesel about and the filter needs attention at least every 10,000 miles.