citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 90 (02) - xsara gearbox problem - Dave182

Hi guys, my 02 xsara 2.0 hdi 90 has recently developed a gearbox noise after a
few weeks of whining while slowing down with the gears, i've had it checked and
apparently its a gearbox diff problem, after looking for a replacement box i
have found a 1998 T reg 406 2.0 hdi box (not sure on the bhp) i'm wondering if
this will fit? any help would be great.
Cheers
Dave

citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 90 (02) - xsara gearbox problem - Peter.N.

PSA stuff is fairy standard but the ratios could be different but I wouldn't think by much, if it fits and everything is in the right place I would go ahead.

There are one or two online breakers who would probably be able to tell you, or you could try the 'French car forum'

Is your gearbox that bad? I have a noisey gearbox in an XM that's been like it for thousands of miles, still drives OK though.

citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 90 (02) - xsara gearbox problem - Dave182

its bad enough that i have to turn the stereo right up to not hear it, plus it doesnt feel very safe. gears select fine and the power is there so running wise its fine, but the noise is too much to bear. i've fuond a box with 77k ono it for 50 quid so its gotta be worth a crack i spose. cheers for the reply mate. :)

citroen xsara 2.0 hdi 90 (02) - xsara gearbox problem - Ben {P}

You have no way of knowing the mileage of a second hand box. Best thing to do is talk to Carl of C G Cars Leicester he will tell you what's what. The engine mounts on these cars don't last and can cause noise, also the top engine mount often comes free from the body. Carl can run a full dealer diagnostic check for 25 quid too.

How much oil is in the gearbox? is it the correct 75w-80 grade?