Italian / French fixed penalties/ fines - edders

I know that this has been asked and answered before but I haven't been able to find it using the search. I have also searched HJ's DT column as I saw an answer only a few weeks ago - again no luck, so apologies for repetition.
Two problems :
(1) My son has recently received notice of a traffic violation whilst in the centre of Florence in a hire car last July. The fines he has been given is Euro 104. He doesn't remember being there and it isn't clear what exactly the fine is for. Does he have to pay ? Can he contest it ? What happens if he doesn't pay up ?
(2) Racing back from the south of France this Monday, on the last 100kms of a 1250km drive from Nice due to no airlines, I zoomed past a blue gendarmerie car on the motorway. I reckon realistically I was doing 155kph ie 25 over the 130 limit. The copper in the driver's seat was pointing a device at me as I passed. I suspect it was some type of radar gun or possibly a hand-held camera. Nothing flashed and the car didn't chase me and I wasn't stopped further up the road. If anyone with real local knowledge as opposed to guesswork could tell me whether I'm likely to receive a ticket in a few weeks' time and what the fine is likely to be, I'd be grateful. Wouldn't even have been driving if it hadn't been for volcanic ash - grrrrr.

Italian / French fixed penalties/ fines - LucyBC

There is a traffic ban for all but local vehicles on the centre of Florence (and for a number of other Italian cities). They use an ANPR system for detection. If your son was caught on it they will either:

1. charge the hire company which almost certainly means that your son's credit card will be charged.

2. threaten to - or actually issue proceedings in the UK.

In our experience 1. is likely and 2. never gets anywhere.

With regard to your speeding case, French police will normally stop you at the scene if there is to be a penalty and may well impose an instant fine or threaten confiscation of the vehicle. If they did not stop you the chances are you got away with it.

Italian / French fixed penalties/ fines - Rover 600

I would agree with the reply about France. After you were stopped did you go through a peage toll waypoint? If so were there police there? If there were and they did not stop you you have probably gotten away with it.