VW Corrado - Driving without indicators - DougB

Hi - A low-life stole my front foglights and indicators during the week and I am having problems replacing them. (VW can only supply the N/S set).

I am reduced to trawling ebay and various forums for replacements, however the question is : can I drive the car legally without the front indicators? I have googled but can't find anything conclusive.

Regards, DougB.

VW Corrado - Driving without indicators - P3t3r

I'm not certain, but they are tested during an MOT so I would be very suprised if it is legal. If you do drive without them it may be useful to give arm signals (they're in the highway code). Most people will probably just think you're mad though.

VW Corrado - Driving without indicators - bathtub tom

I think you could be done under 'construction and use regulations' (if they still apply). There used to be something about 'all fitted lights must be in working order'. Fitted lights meaning as fitted by the manufacturer.

VW Corrado - Driving without indicators - Dwight Van Driver

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

Reg 23

No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle unless every listed lamp, reflector, rear marking and device to which this paragraph applies is in good working order and every

direction indicator.

This does not apply to-

(A) a defective lamp, reflector, dim-dip device or headlamp levelling device on a vehicle in use on a road between sunrise and sunset, if any such lamp, reflector or device became defective during the journey which is in progress

OR

if arrangements have been made to remedy the defect with all reasonable expedition

Note that direction indicator is not included in these later exemptions but 'lamp' is.

If one looks at the definition of 'direction indicator' under the Regs then it says this:

Direction indicator" - a lamp on a vehicle used to indicate to other road users that the driver intends to change direction to the right or to the left.

So an indicator is a lamp and the exemption (A) above applies.

Under the Regs front fog lamps are optional not mandatory as indicators are. Under Reg 23 they are not listed as a lamp to be maintained so no offence if they are missing.

OK drive in daylight only until your arrangements get it sorted

dvd.

VW Corrado - Driving without indicators - DougB

Hi - Thanks for your replies (and your help).

Will use the car only if absolutely necessary during the day. Bit worried about the insurance

aspects also.

DougB.

VW Corrado - Driving without indicators - b308

Just make sure that you use the correct hand signals!

We'll all be looking out for you... newish VW and driver using hand signals... shouldn't be difficult to spot!! :-)

VW Corrado - Driving without indicators - Bilboman

Not keen on the "dangling bulb", then? I'm referring to the short term solution of attaching an indicator bulb/light unit from a completely different car and gaffer-taping it in place as a stop gap until a genuine replacement can be found. A decrepit Montego I once owned had a couple of "danglers" for a while, as one indicator unit had fallen out just before I bought the car, another one later fell off during hard cornering, and a third one was stolen (!) although the sneak thief had the courtesy to leave the bulb dangling in the gap.

A common tactic used by drivers of a lot of high performance German cars is to drive so shockingly fast that there's never any need to indicate. Apparently. :-)