Peugeot 306 - 96 Pug 306, nearside rear weel camber issue - Ritz-dog

Howdy y'all, my ever-faithful 306 is 150,000 miles young and starting to do weird and wonderful things lol

In a nutshell both the rear wheels seem to sit at an angle. The nearside one is a lot more obvious, now i've been told that this is:

'normal', as the car picks up speed the body raises and the wheels straighten

all 306's do the same

the torsion bar requires adjusting (even though from a different mechanic this was dismissed)

but when i took it for it's MOT it was noted as an advisory as "**dangerous**"

Now as i carry 3 teens in the back every morning to take them to school this is worrying me. I have 2 weeks to find out precisly wot is causing this AND get it fixed (hopefully without costing loads a money cos i'm broke)

Recently i've had the rear dampeners replaced but i'm sure it was like this before?

I know i'm asking for almost the impossible (a perfect diagnosis using the details above) but i'm hoping someone here has seen the same and they can advise me whay i need to check. Failing this i'll have to 'main dealer' it which doesn't agree with my budget

Any ideas???

Peugeot 306 - 96 Pug 306, nearside rear weel camber issue - FP

I'm sorry I can't answer your question directly. If you don't get any joy here, you could try www.peugeotcentral.co.uk or some other car forum with a technical section.

I'm wondering whether you have a rear subframe issue, which might cost several hundred to sort out, but I don't have enough technical expertise to go further.

Peugeot 306 - 96 Pug 306, nearside rear weel camber issue - bathtub tom

Are your wheel nuts tight?

Peugeot 306 - 96 Pug 306, nearside rear weel camber issue - RichardW

The bearings in the trailing arm pivots are stuffed. They can be replaced but it is a tough job, and chances are by now the arms are beyond salvage. 2 other options (well 3 actually...):

1. Get a refurbed subframe - there's a company somewhere that does them - but they are a few hundred pounds , plus the fitting cost (4 hours maybe)

2. Get a 2nd hand subframe. Cheaper than 1, but you need to get one that is the right fitment for your car (eg hatch / estate / ABS / rear discs or drums). Cheper than 1, but you've got to track down a good un, and still get it fitted. Trouble is, many are suffering this trouble now, so supply likely to be reducing. Note that Citroen ZX and Xsara use the same assembly which might help.

3. Sc*** it and use the money required to fix it to buy something else.

Sadly, I think you are staring down the barrel of 3....

Edited by RichardW on 06/04/2010 at 13:30

Peugeot 306 - 96 Pug 306, nearside rear weel camber issue - Peter.N.

<*** src="http://www.sspengineering.co.uk/images/bgHead.png" alt="R.Mountjoy (Formerly SSP Engineering Ltd.)" /> 01404 881 325

Near Honiton recon subframe £350.00 + vat fitted

Edited by Peter.N. on 06/04/2010 at 14:39

Hi all, found a pretty good explanation of this:

www.retro-revival.co.uk/rearbeam.html

Bearings and bushes (available from Pug only i think) cost about £70

I'll let you know how i get on (fingers crossed)

Sorted! in the end the bearings were so far gone was advised to get axle. Luckily there was a cheap one in good nick at a mates sc***yard. so all sorted now, my wheels are straight and true :-)

and as a bonus i have disc-brakes on the rear now too

What a palava

Peugeot 306 - 96 Pug 306, nearside rear weel camber issue - afroly

Ritz-dog - I have a 1995 1.6 306 and need to replace the rear brakes, but i've been offered a whole rear axle including discs and brakes from a 2000 1.8 306, did you fit your new axle with discs straight on?

Let me know,

Roly