Golf MkIV engine mounts sagging? - 547HEW
Hello all,

I have a GT TDi PD (115PS) at 40,000 mls on which I changed the Timing Belt last weekend (with a little difficulty).

When I re-fitted the noise shield under tray, there was interference with the underside of the transmission casing, causing the tray to bow out from its mounting flange.

Looking at the front of the vehicle, with bonnet up, it is apparent that the cam cover slopes downwards to the nearside. This is more so than previously, according to my memory.

Also I am convinced I have more harshness when driving the vehicle although this is of course very subjective.

During the above belt change I had to raise, and lower the engine significantly in order to try to remove the off-side engine mounting bracket (which is attached to the end of the cylinder block). This raising and lowering was repeated many times. I kept a check on all pipes, shafts, etc to ensure they were not under strain, but could not see the nearside mount.

My question is: Could I have distorted the nearside mount, and would it be possible to get this sag?

Weather permitting I'm going to have a look at it this weekend, but would appreciate some pointers. Thanks in anticipation.

Golf MkIV engine mounts sagging? - Peter D
The gear box/engine mounitng is the elastomeric type so look for a sticky fuild leaking from the mount. Mine leaked at 60K and dropped the engine 1.5 to 2 cm.

Peter
Thanks for that info Peter, I thought I had left all that hydro elastic stuff behind with the Austin 1300!

All being well I'll get a look at it this weekend and report my findings.

Just out of interest, what did the parts cost to repair yours?
Looked at the mounting in situ today. There is indeed a black "gunge" being exuded from where I would expect the rubber to be located, so next step is establishing price and availability of new mount.

Thanks for the very accurate "pointer!!

Golf MkIV engine mounts sagging? - Peter D
I think from EuroCar parts.co.uk £26.00 plus postage but I bought a load of OEM oil and air filters as well Peter