Clocking cars legally.??? - piston power
If im restoring a car lets say a ford sierra cosworth and decide to fit a recon engine and box & overhaul rear diff and brakes and steering etc etc, & bring this back to showroom condition is it legal & would you do it to wind the clock back to zero mileage?

Or just leave it with it's original mileage? which is probably around the clock which would have been a 5 digit clock back then.

Clocking cars legally.??? - gazzauk
Assuming your not a trader, you can pretty much do what you want.

You just cant sell it as correct mileage when you come to sell it. Morally you should be telling any potential future purchaser the truth, but theres a lot of people that dont!

G
No not a trader but if this car is stripped and re built with new or recon parts and this can pe proved with pictures or videos what im saying is it legal to wind it back to zero?

Not the illegal clocking were they knocked off 50k to make it look mint this is not what i mean.
Clocking cars legally.??? - Lud
re built with new or recon parts

Including all suspension bushes, balljoints, steering rack, dampers and transmission parts?

Why clock the thing? What's wrong with saying what's been done to it and leaving it at that? The point really is that even bodyshells age and become a bit floppier as spot-welds corrode or part. Of course it's possible to make a 100,000 mile jalopy better than new, but it isn't often done.

Edited by Lud on 04/01/2010 at 15:43

Thats a fair point lud yes that can be done was just after some ideas as were doing this for a friend i said id give him a hand over this very cold winter & yes all new steering and suspension parts.

Clocking cars legally.??? - Jcoventry
what will you gain from clocking it back to 0?
Clocking cars legally.??? - Robin Reliant
You can turn the mileage back to what you want, as long as you don't mis-represent the true mileage when you sell the car on.
Clocking cars legally.??? - DP
If I was buying it afterwards, I'd prefer to see the unmolested mileage on the clock, with the restoration documented with dates and mileages (and photos). Unless you re-shell the car, and replace/recondition the entire driveline and suspension, the true mileage still has some relevance. Retaining the true mileage also makes the car's history more accurate, and IMHO makes the car worth more.

Clocking cars legally.??? - ifithelps
Many years ago, the Henlys dealer group zeroed the odometers on all used stock.

The cars were clearly marked as mileage not verified.

I think the idea was customers would buy the car on condition, not mileage.

what will you gain from clocking it back to 0?

He thought it might be a good idea but from reading the comments posted it seems it's not and to go with original.

He loves this cosey and so would i it will be a nice motor when finished but at his slow spanner rate can't see it been done this year!!

Clocking cars legally.??? - boxsterboy
If you are using reconditioned parts, they are not by definition new. So how can you justify winding the milometer back to zero?

Clocking cars legally.??? - shara
I hav often seen ads in auto trader etc. for mileage correction services. I assume this is for cars that have had some sort of failure that has led to the mileage being displayed incorrectly. However I would imagine that some people use these to alter the mileage on cars to make them appear younger (for selling on etc).
However I would imagine that some people use these to
alter the mileage on cars to make them appear younger (for selling on etc).

>>
Gosh, next you'll be telling us that people who re-code radios are a magnet for thieves -;)
Clocking cars legally.??? - Rattle
Correction places are just like massage palour, a front for something which would be ilegal if it advertised its true purpose. The vast majority of people use these services to commit a crime.
I do love a massage every now and again rattle it may do you just the world of good.!! ha
Clocking cars legally.??? - Lygonos
I remember the 'Saunas' in Edinburgh used to advertise their 'Executive Services' in the local paper, the Evening News. I also remember most of them advised 'facial sauna only'.

Use your imagination!
Now we know who the forum's kerb crawlers are.
Clocking cars legally.??? - Alby Back
The one next door to the Haymarket cop shop used to do very well apparently.

They ran Morris Minor Pandas at one time he added desperately....
Clocking cars legally.??? - Nsar
Morris Minor Panda - there's a joke in there about poor sex drive, I just can't quite get it together.
Clocking cars legally.??? - Alby Back
....and it would be best all round if we just forget any rear drive analogies.....

I'm off for a swim now....coat already on....
Clocking cars legally.??? - Armstrong Sid
...And as for the question about whether you want a manual or an automatic....