My smelly A-Class! - Blue {P}
OK - If you've read the thread about my accident, you'll know that my courtesy car is an A170 CDi. I love it, I thinks it's very quick, comfortable etc. etc.

BUT, it STINKS of petrol inside. Does Diesel smell like petrol? I've never used a Diesel before, but didn't notice any smell when I filled it up this morning. Yet inside the car, is the distinct, sweet and strong smell of petrol.

I thought maybe a previous abuser of this car had spilt a can of petrol in it, but would petrol still smell if it was spilt on the fabric a few days ago?

Also, if it is petrol, what cost free method is there to get rid of it? I was thinking soapy water and a quick spray of Febreeze or something to try and clean it up, 'cos I don't wanna go back to the bodyshop and whinge for a new car, 'cos they have been very good to me so far. Any thoughts please people?
My smelly A-Class! - L'escargot
A-class (!), Blue Oval ?? Aren't you being a tad ambivalent !! ??
Well, I've got to be honest, if I could afford to I may be tempted to change my name to "3 Pointed Star" But that doesn't roll of the tounge as easily does it? :) I think, I'll just stick to Fords for now. Doesn't stop me enjoying the Merc in the meantime though! :)

Hopefully I should hear some more info about the liability etc. over the next day or two.
My smelly A-Class! - Dynamic Dave
would petrol still smell if it was spilt on the fabric a few days ago?

It might just be that the petrol was spilt by the previous borrower of the A-Class and where you've been driving round with the heater on might just have "woken" it up again. Remember that when people get hold of courtesy cars, they do things with them that they wouldn't necessarily do with their own cars. Taking rubbish to the tip & carting bags of cement/fertilizer/grow bags from the garden cente for instance.
My smelly A-Class! - Richard Hall
P J O'Rourke's suggestions for things to do with a hire car included filling the boot with ice cubes and using it as a beer cooler.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
What a shame i can't do that with the A-class, it would all spill out! :(

I had to give them the car back today so when I go to give them my Fiesta back and pick up another courtesy car I'm gonna reject the smelly one. It was making me feel ill, and my rear seat passengers felt really sick after we'd been sitting in it without the fans on for a few minutes...