Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Haribo957
My daughter has been hit, at speed whilst performing a 3 point turn. She had performed the first part of the turn and had not gone all the way to the other side of the road (wide road, so not necessary) and was about to change to reverse (she had not even managed to get it into reverse) when it appears the large mercedes approaching thought it could make the gap between the front of her car and the other side of the road. It hit her nearside front wheel and spun her 180 degrees, bounced off the another car on the opposite side of the road and eventually stopped 30 metres down the road. Both my daughter's car, a KA and the mercedes appear to be write offs due to the speed of the mercedes but there were no witnesses other than those first on the scene. Is she at fault and how does she prove the other car was driving at excess speed?
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Alby Back
Hope she's OK ? Any chance it's on cctv ? There are cameras in all sorts of places now. Might help to establish the facts if required.
Thankfully she is OK, just whiplash and shock. No CCTV so it will be her word against his I think and the photos I took the next day to show where the mercedes came to a stop.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - oilrag
Sorry to hear of your Daughters situation, Haribo. It seems to read as though your daughter stopped sideways on in the middle of the road - with almost enough room still in front of her for a car to go through, trying to engage reverse at that point?

What was the visibility and speed limits on that stretch of road?

It is a 30mph limit and a long road but from where she was hit there would have been visibility of approx 150 metres
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - martint123
and how does she prove the other car was driving at excess speed?

She can't. Were the police involved and were the crash experts called out to photograph and measure the scene? If not it is a very difficult situation to be in.

(Hmmm these 200 quid video monitoring things are becoming more viable all the time).
Yes, police and crash investigators but policeman who took the statement at the hospital said that because she was not seriously injured, no investigation would be undertaken and it was a metal on metal case! Down to the insurance companies to fight out and she is only 3rd party.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Dave_TD
My first accident, when I was 17, involved a 3rd party doing a 3-point turn. I was passing a row of parked cars at 30mph when one of them switched its lights on, I backed off thinking they might attempt to pull out into the main stream of traffic but they carried out the first third of a 3-point turn rather smartly some 20 yards in front of me. Inexperience coupled with my Allegro's skinny tyres saw me collide with their offside, all four wheels locked, luckily with no injuries as a result.
This is not a reference at all to the Op`s situation - but I don`t like three point turns, on `open` roads. Thinking about it, the last time I did one was half a mile up an earth surfaced track in northern France a couple of years ago, when it came to a dead end.

I think they should be taught as an action of `last resort` on roads where there is no other option - such as up a dead end. In particular I`m referring to the spatial judgment skills in the early years after passing the test and the danger of a fast bike appearing out of nowhere.

Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Jcoventry
If the road was wide, wasn't there enough room to do a U turn? I have a Ka and manage to do U turns on many roads that aren't even very wide.

Can you link us to a Google satellite map or street view of where this incident happened?
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - L'escargot
Down to the insurance companies to fight out ..........

This is no more than I would expect.
.......... and she is only 3rd party.

This illustrates the folly of being TPFT.

Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - M.M
TPF&T is not folly... it's a judgement as to it suiting the particular policyholder.

I'm likely to take out a comp policy next week for a new car... but this will be the first comp policy we've had for over 20yrs. With at least two and often three cars run on TPF&T over this period we've saved around £4000-£5000. I'm very happy to self insure the own damage element to keep this sort of amount in our pockets.

Sadly for the OP I think they'll have to accept the 50/50 between insurance companies as the 3-point turn was probably ill judged. I would never make one in a street where another car (even a speeding one) could come before I'd completed the turn.

Edited by M.M on 15/12/2009 at 08:12

Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - smokie
...and no evidence to prove that she wasn't moving, which is undoubtedly what the Merc driver will claim.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Mr.Tee43
The Merc will probably have 3 passengers who will swear its your fault !
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Cliff Pope
Sadly these days any car, person or object in a road is fair game and can be run down if the oncomer can't be bothered looking or slowing. By the old book of course the other driver would only be driving within the clear range he can see ahead, and spotting a car sideways across the road would have slowed down just in case, regardless of whether it was moving, stopped, or about to move.

This was in daylight, or did I miss that point?
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - ifithelps
Haribo,

Your daughter had the temerity to impede the progress of a bloke in his Mercedes.

What pond life like your family don't understand is a few seconds is very important to such an important person.

I think your daughter should, at the very least, be shot. :)

Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - jc2
Nothing to do with your daughter but where I live large numbers of residents do three or more point turns-WHY?-there is another road-parallel to ours and they could drive up our road and back down that one in less time than it takes to complete the turn.
I suspect they are completely Ga Ga after doing it 10,000 times during driving lessons. Maybe it should be banned on roads other than at a dead end..

Edited by oilrag on 15/12/2009 at 09:43

Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - martint123
With at least two and often three cars run on TPF&T over this period we've saved around £4000-£5000.

Ever since having to insure myself rather than my employer paying - that is around 12 years - I have been quoted less for fully comp than TPF&T so I have save around £20 a year by going FC.

Someone explained this in earlier threads, but I can't recall the details.
As I said it's a judgement as to it suiting the particular policyholder... you always should shop around for the best deal. It all depends on your own profile, your area, your car and the stats the particular company works on.

We always use a trusted broker and as an example if they would say quote £260 as a best fully comp deal but are asked for TPF&T they would probably find a different company with more competitive rates for that level of cover at the time and come up with around £160.

The savings I quoted are real... not pulled from the air.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - WellKnownSid
> Sadly for the OP I think they'll have to accept the 50/50 between insurance companies as the 3-point turn was probably ill judged.

A turn in the road is a legal move and...

> It is a 30mph limit and a long road but from where she was hit there would have been visibility of approx 150 metres

...at 30mph a car will be travelling at 13.4 metres per second. It would have taken the Mercedes 11.2 seconds to travel that distance. To have 'spun the car 180 degrees' would suggest some speed at the point of impact. Analysis of both cars would be able to confirm the speed of the Mercedes within a few mph at the point of impact.

> The Merc will probably have 3 passengers who will swear its your fault !

Indeed it will! I have only had one accident in my life, and the insurance company took the other party's side because their witness was a solicitor.

People are happy to hide behind insurance company letters, so I did the only obvious thing. I tracked her down to her place of work and started to ask lots of difficult questions of her employer.

By sheer coincidence, the solicitor then realised her legal career was in question, and then admitted to the insurers that she was riding illegally in the berth section of the lorry and could never have actually seen the accident (no window out). She only commented because she felt it was important to convey the 'environmental conditions leading up to it' (translation: her friend was driving...)!
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - FotheringtonThomas
My daughter has been hit at speed whilst performing a 3 point turn.

Print off a nice aerial view of the spot (Google maps, "satellite") to support your case. Include the URL with any documentation, and the hard copy.

If your daughter had commenced her manoeuvre, and was side-on in the road, then in any case the mercedes driver should've given way - this should be obvious from damage. Your photographs may help. Take some more looking up and down the road from the spot where the crash happened. Show where the mercedes came from/was going.

Obviously, the above wouldn't be true were it that she commenced the monoeuvre without seeing the mercedes - she should have given way in that case.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Sparrow
What about the bit in the Highway Code that says you should always drive so as to be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear. I'd have thought that putting this argument to the insurers would carry some weight. The merc driver was clearly going too fast if he was unable to stop, even if you had been in the way.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - maz64
The merc driver was clearly going too fast if he was unable to stop even if
you had been in the way.

Only if the hit car was stationary - merc driver would argue that car pulled out in front of him.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Lud
merc driver would argue that car pulled out in front of him.

Yes, he almost certainly would whether it was true or not. That's the problem with this situation. As so often, you would have to be there to know. Most crashes in my experience are not 100% one person's fault.

I'm glad the OP's daughter is all right. If she argues her corner well she should get knock for knock. I don't know how that would translate into car repairs though. Half the cost from the other car's insurer (if any)?
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Bill Payer
not gone all the way to the other side of the road (wide road so not necessary)

>>
As others have said, that doesn't make sense.
Is she at fault and how does she prove the other car was driving at excess speed?

>>
She can't prove the other drivers speed. You could maybe suggest excessive speed if there are skid marks before the scene and, even after hitting your daughter's car ir still took 30M (did you measure that?) to stop.

Was it dark when this happened?

Unless the Merc driver holds their hands up (what are the chances of that?) then it look like 100% your daughters fault for executing a manoeuvre when it wasn't safe to do so.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Altea Ego
In the event of lack of witnesses or video evidence, there is a fairly good chance your daughter will get most of the blame for this. The simple facts after the event become that she executed a three point turn in the face of oncoming traffic.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - George Porge
In the event of lack of witnesses or video evidence there is a fairly good
chance your daughter will get most of the blame for this. The simple facts after
the event become that she executed a three point turn in the face of oncoming
traffic.

Exactly, something in the OP doesn't add up, it sounds like a 3 point turn on a main road, how long does it take your daughter to select reverse and carry out a maneuver?

Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Robin Reliant
My view too.

She would count the in the same way as "an emerging vehicle", and all the duty of care would have been on her.

Obviously it would be different if she could prove the other driver was grossly negligent and had plenty of time to avoid her, but how does she...?
I think the point made above about the driving training is true. I know local instructors choose roads they perceive as quiet to get 3-pt turns practiced. When another car comes along mid way through the instructor will tell the pupil not to worry as they can see the L-plates and wait. In the real world it's not quite like that.
the (driving) instructor will tell the pupil not to worry as they can see the L-plates
and wait. In the real world it's not quite like that.

If I was in the middle of my manoeuvre and someone tried to barge past, I'd be quite offended!
If we are all gentlemen of the road that's true but I just wondered about the teaching ethic of making the person causing the obstruction think it was no problem and making the person, who probably has the greater right of way, wait for you.
making the person who probably has the greater right of way wait for you.

They haven't got a "greater right of way". It's mine, in this putative case, and they should wait until I've turned. They have no right to try and squeeze by. Grr!
But excuse me good Sir. I have right of way and you are impeding my progress, straddled across the carriageway like some itinerate tramp. Begone sir and let me pass, lest I strike you aside with my stick.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Robin Reliant
Turns in the road are a pain in the backside for driving instructors, they cause more aggro with residents and other drivers than any other manouvre. They are not even nescessary as all the skils involved are covered with reverse parking, reverse corners and hill starts.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - old crocks
The next road from me is used by instructors and testers for 3-point turns. It is not unusual to come across three or four people attempting it within about 200 yards.

The road is only about three cars wide and so after the first movement there is only just enough room for a car to pass behind the turning car.

I usually wait for the learners to complete the turn although this often takes quite a long time. Sometimes the instructor will wave you through but I find this un-nerving since it is not them at the controls!

On more than one occasion I have stopped and the car behind me has passed me, zigzagged behind the reversing car and just squeezed through an ever diminishing gap.
If you had 11 secs (as suggested above) to do a 3 point turn on a wide main road and no car was in view before the maneuver you should be long gone anyway.

Not that its good practice to do such on a main road, what does the highway code say?
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - WellKnownSid
She can't prove the other drivers speed. You could maybe suggest excessive speed if there are skid marks before the scene

The damage to and position of the two cars should give a fairly accurate picture of the velocity involved. The stopping distance at 30mph is 23m, so if the Merc driver braked after hitting the other car, then the Mercedes was still travelling at in excess of 30mph after having already accelerated the other vehicle.

Given the coefficient of restitution and good old F=ma it should be possible to extrapolate a pretty good guess as to the approach velocity, which would be backed up by the extent of vehicle damage.

Unfortunately, I suspect that they would have to pay for an expert witness themselves if the Ecilop don't want to get involved.
there are skid marks before the scene

Maybe - but they havent been measured
The damage to and position of the two cars should give a fairly accurate picture
of the velocity involved.

The postion of the cars post accident has not been recorded.

>> Given the coefficient of restitution and good old F=ma it should be possible to extrapolate
a pretty good guess as to the approach velocity which would be backed up by
the extent of vehicle damage.

None of this evidence is available. No-one is going to recreate this scene or carry out the detailed and expensive forensic work.

and here is the key: -

It seems to me, based on the attitude of the police, they dont belive anyone was driving too far outside the bounds of law, and there is insufficient cause or evidence to prosecute anyone. This may of course follow, and it may even be the OPs daughter!

As it is - the best she can hope for is knock for knock. At worse it could be a charge of driving without due care.

Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - ForumNeedsModerating
Last paragraph about sums it up AE. Being TPFT, the KA driver stands to lose (or have to pay for) a fair chunk of her own damage & without(?) legal cover from ins. policy it will be a lengthy & stressful operation to prove the OP's assertion about the circumstances & apportionment of blame.

I must say, several aspects of the description of this episode don't quite gel with me (not that I doubt the OP's veracity of course..) & I would expect those aspects to figure in any 'court' battle between the parties, should it go that far. I would suggest that it's too late (in the forensic sense) to prove, against contrary statement, who could be blamed.

Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - perro
One thing I picked up on Re: the OP is that the van hit *the wheel* of the car.
I can quite imagine a skilled driver correctly judging the gap that he had to drive through but, the wheel was the point of contact ... perhaps Daughter turned wheel after WV man had made his decision to pass her car.
One thing I picked up on Re: the OP is that the van

Was it a van?
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - freddy1
VW , merc , car or van?

I took this origional post to be a mercedes car?

where did VW or a van come into it?
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Sofa Spud
If your daugher was stationary and there was good visibilty, I'd say that the other driver was mostly to blame. If it was clear that there was a stationary car across the road, they should have been driving at a speed such that they would be able to stop in the distance they could see to be clear.
If your daugher was stationary and there was good visibilty I'd say that the other
driver was mostly to blame. If it was clear that there was a stationary car
across the road they should have been driving at a speed such that they would
be able to stop in the distance they could see to be clear.

Or maybe the daughter just turned across the path of the oncoming car because she was talking on her mobile / texting on her mobile / fixing her make up / fixing her hair / just simply not paying attention (I see this every day) and daren t tell daddy as she thinks he'll go ballistic..................................

We've only got one side of the story...................................

Dad should talk to the merc driver to see what his version of the tale is.
where did VW or a van come into it?

Send three and fourpence!
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Cliff Pope
>> where did VW or a van come into it?
>>
Send three and fourpence!

Nice one BP!
I'm tempted by the idea of surreptitiously introducing a new element into a story line just to see whether anyone notices, and whether it can become accepted fact.

But I'm sorry for the daughter, although I know we don't really know all the viewpoints.
Basically I think she is probably in the right, but in today's mad world of speeding cars and everyone driving like that Peter Simple character who upheld the Silverstone Convention, doing a three-point turn is simply not a safe manoeuvre any more except in a quiet cul-de-sac.
>>> where did VW or a van come into it? <<<

I just envisioned a White Mercedes Van for some reason - don't ask me why!
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - bathtub tom
>>I just envisioned a White Mercedes Van

And then stuck a veewee badge on it.

Perhaps you should stop worrying about your key fob batteries (my Almera ones haven't been replaced in six years). ;>)

Edited by bathtub tom {p} on 15/12/2009 at 21:09

>>> Perhaps you should stop worrying about your key fob batteries (my Almera ones haven't been replaced in six years). ;>) <<<

Well, I blame the weather bathtub - for everything!
One of my keys seems to require being very near to ze car before it will open sesame so I assumed it was the bat, anyways - Iv'e just bought 2 Pana's from ebay for under £1.50 inc. p&p so we'll see how it that goes.
How's you car battery doing btw - is it the original I does wonder?
>>> And then stuck a veewee badge on it. <<<

The VW is actually a WV and alluded to White Van, but you're not in my head (thank goodness !)

Edited by Webmaster on 16/12/2009 at 01:43

Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - movilogo
I was once hit by another car [in fact the caravan it was towing hit my car] while I was performing a 3 point turn on road.

It was a very low speed impact - my car's bumper repair cost me £80. The caravan's side repair cost £2000.

My insurer [NUD = Aviva now] decided it was my fault as they consider it similar to emerging from a side road! In spite of my lengthy contention over [several months] with this incident, they never changed their decision.

So I lost my NCB.

Edited by movilogo on 15/12/2009 at 21:40

Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Bilboman
3 (or 4 or 5...) point turns are a pain. They are rarely carried out efficiently and safely. After the driving test no one really applies the handbrake between movements - do they? There is nearly always the risk of an oncoming car, and it is the only manoeuvre I can think of where a driver deliberately places himself perpendicular to the traffic flow and all manner of danger. Dangerous enough with only a driver and instructor on board - but with rear passengers too? And kids?? It's the motoring equivalent of using a hairdrier whilst sitting in a bath full of water, and from reading the OP I think the time has come to end this dangerous mostly pointless anachronism. Ban it except for in dead end streets. How about spending more teaching hours on simply teaching drivers to park properly??
Ban it except for in dead end streets.

What about on rural roads? When I post letters at our local post box I would have to travel several miles to turn round if I wasn't allowed to do a 3-point turn.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - bathtub tom
>>The VW is actually a WV and alluded to White Van

'umble apologies.

It's probably my age.
You see people performing incompetent n-point turns in the most absurd places, on busy urban main road bends for example, for no earthly reason. Surely they can't be so thick that they don't know it's easier and safer to go round the block, even quite a long block? I would always do that for choice.

And I am a person who can do a u-turn absolutely anywhere with minimal obstruction, having learned how as a professional driver in the seventies. It just isn't true that you can't, or 'shouldn't', do u-turns. But you have to do them properly.

Similarly of course you shouldn't blind along main roads so distracted that you don't notice when someone incautious or inexperienced pulls one in front of you.

I am an old, once-hooligan driver though and have learned these things through sometimes bitter experience. Why shouldn't others learn them in the same way?

Edited by Lud on 16/12/2009 at 00:29

>>> am a person who can do a u-turn absolutely anywhere with minimal obstruction <<<

Sire ... There are some roads that even I and thee wouldn't be able to do a uey.

>>> I am an old, once-hooligan driver though and have learned these things through sometimes bitter experience. Why shouldn't others learn them in the same way? <<<

Perhaps they will Sire, in time - The hard way, like we did ... you can't put an old ed on young clavicle's.
She had
performed the first part of the turn and had not gone all the way to
the other side of the road (wide road so not necessary) ..............

In my opinion it was a mistake to not go all the way across. The further the car travels the greater angle the car turns, and the sooner the whole manoeuvre is finished. Furthermore, if she'd gone all the way across the other driver wouldn't have had to alter course so much. By not going all the way across she had stopped nearer to the middle of the road than was necessary, and in a lot more dangerous a position.
Well, It`s a good discussion, but it would be interesting to hear more from OP.

That said I have reflected more on it and now hold the Highway Code and driving test requirements partially responsible.
Because those requirements exist, driving instructors have to teach it and it seems to me that on passing the test it`c considered a `normal` driving maneuver.

A false sense of security then exists because of the controlled conditions during teaching and it becomes `the` way to turn around.

I think it should be linked with the emergency stop - in the Code and test and great emphasis being placed on `going around the block` in the theory part.

No doubt the `three point` turn had it`s uses in 1920 - but in today`s matrix of roads - it`s just unsafe and unnecessary. Some people will realize the risk and minimize it`s use and others will have good spatial awareness and car control skills.

As with other things in life though, that will leave a large rump of the populace at risk because they are a) not interested in the technical aspects of driving. b) thinking of other things. c) not capable of doing it safely due to poor skills.

Perhaps the AA ought to take the `three point turn` issue up and campaign for changes.

Edited by oilrag on 16/12/2009 at 08:21

I agree with L'escargot. But as I said before, if the road was so wide, then a U turn could have been performed, which is much safer and easier IMO.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - dieseldogg
dear dear there are times when a J turn or even hand brake turn has a lot in its favour, either are certainly quicker to execute than a multi pointer
A 3 point turn is a manouvre of last resort, to be used where no other alternative exists.

I can do them, and do them well (as most london drivers of 25+ years experience can) but I rarely do, or rarely have to. (In London, you best learn to do your 3 points turns at the double or you will incurr the wrath of many)

Its stupid to include this in driver training or the test. As said above, including it in lesson or the test legitimises it, whereas in truth its not an adviseable manouvre.
I didn't realise the reponse would be so great and hadn't had chance to continue with the discussion, so thank you all for all your comments.
The road, which is residential is wide but there was a car parked on the other side of the road, she had started with the intention of doing a u turn but realised once in the manouevre that it wouldn't make it, so it then became a 3 point turn. She was at the point of changing from 1st to reverse that the car hit her nearside, so she was stationary for however long that takes and to check that the road was clear before she started her reverse manouevre.

Additionally, It was a car not a van.

She was at the point of changing from 1st to
reverse that the car hit her nearside so she was stationary for however long that
takes and to check that the road was clear before she started her reverse manouevre.

So basically the the road wasn't clear when she started the maneuver?
>> She was at the point of changing from 1st to
>> reverse that the car hit her nearside
So basically the the road wasn't clear when she started the maneuver?

This is like wading through treacle - unless I've got it wrong as well.

a) Decide to turn.
b) Check the road's clear.
c) Start an huey.

"She had performed the first part of the turn and had not gone all the way to the other side of the road"

d) Convert to 3-point, proceed to engage reverse.
e) Get hit by someone trying to squeeze past through a too-narrow gap.

So, the mercedes car did not wait for this person to complete their manoeuvre, misjudged the gap, and belted into the stationary car in the middle of the road.
So the mercedes car did not wait for this person to complete their manoeuvre misjudged
the gap and belted into the stationary car in the middle of the road.

Or the young novice drive of the Ka has just swung accross the road in front of the experienced mercedes driver.........................
There's a *lot* of pants being talked in this thread about 3 point turns. However, I'm interested to see where this crash happened. Any chance of a pointer (Google maps, etc.)?
As an aside - will the OP return do you think? I've noticed (as have others) someone posts
a 'controversial' question one day, then doesn't respond the day(s) forever after.

As an aside - will the OP return do you think?

I hope so, I'd like to see the road where this crash happened!
I've noticed (as have others) someone posts
a 'controversial' question one day then doesn't respond the day(s) forever after.

Yes, but IMO in this instance the question was not "controversial". The OP may've got tired of the irrelevant verbiage, though.
Yes, but IMO in this instance the question was not "controversial". The OP may've got tired of the irrelevant verbiage, though.

I think it was 'controversial' by any reasonable definition. It sparked differing views here & will certainly be a matter of extreme opposing views between the various parties to the accident, I'm sure.

Also note the single quotes around the original use of controversial. This denotes a slightly novel, ironic or tongue-in-cheek use of a word.

As far as "..irrelevant verbiage.." , well, had the OP paid a lawyer he might expect more concise, factual & correct advice. A public forum however, is just that & it's not unreasonable to expect to do a bit of wheat from chaff-ing.

It has been helpful to have the various views on this incident and hopefully the lawyer currently involved will provide advice. Due to the nature of the accident and of course only having one side of the story, much of this is subjective
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - paulvm
I agree with FT, this is a simple matter of lack of courtesy and manners. Do we all just ignore what is in front of us and try to push our way through? Do we try to drive around someone coming out of a parking space in the car park? For goodness sake we are all on the road and all have to use it in a sensible manner. Unfortunately some drivers take risks and sometimes it does not work out, then we call it an accident. Too many drivers in a rush and impatient to keep moving, and anything in their way is an obstacle to overcome. Of course the Mercedes was in the wrong morally. Consider the opinion of a police officer if one had observed the situation, and that is the way to conduct oneself on the road. Not an answer today though, where the law of the jungle now prevails. Heaven help us to survive.
<<<<<< Of course the Mercedes was in the wrong morally. >>>>>>>

You've only heard one side of the story, I hope you never do jury service....................

Edited by Dox on 16/12/2009 at 14:36

You've only heard one side of the story I hope you never do jury service

You judge on the evidence. That's all there is to go on. In this case, "judgement" is made on the assumption that the statements given are right. If they're not, the case could of course change.
You judge on the evidence. That's all there is to go on. In this case
"judgement" is made on the assumption that the statements given are right. If they're not
the case could of course change.

We only have one statement and thats second hand / word of mouth.

> > You judge on the evidence. That's all there is to go on.
>
> We only have one statement and thats second hand / word of mouth.

It doesn't matter. That's all we've got to go on. If, for instance, I tell you that my friend's toe was run over by a red car outside the Co-Op, you wouldn't say "Oh! It could have been blue, so his toe could not have been run over, it must have been trodden on!" you'd say "Oh dear, I bet that hurt!" or something like. Should other statements emerge, then they may change the case.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Armstrong Sid
I agree with FT this is a simple matter of lack of courtesy and manners.

Of course the Mercedes was in the wrong morally. .

Whilst not questioning anyone's honesty, this kind of opinion is based purely on the evidence of the story we have received from the OP. It would be interesting to hear a version of the whole situation from the Merc driver
We haven't received this as yet but will gladly post once this comes through
There's a *lot* of pants being talked in this thread about 3 point turns.

Unless you explain exactly what "pants" is being talked, your statement (above) will have no meaning for us.

Edited by L'escargot on 16/12/2009 at 14:24

Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - CGNorwich
I thought you were the one extolling us to keep up with modern argot Mr Snail when you introduced us to slinking. Pants is a pejorative term in common use to describe rubbish. e.g. Norwich is pants
..... Pants is a pejorative term .............

I'm aware of that. I just wanted to know the details of the pants. As it was, without suppporting evidence, the sentence conveyed nothing to us and might just have well have been omitted. Who exactly has been guilty of talking pants, and what pants did they talk?
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - CGNorwich
My apologies Mr Snail - an over quick reading of your post I'm afraid. I now see that your post was directed to the non specificity and nature of the alleged pants talk. I too look forward to clarification.

Edited by CGNorwich on 16/12/2009 at 15:24

It's clear that the gastropod knows what 'pants' means CGN. He was asking FT what pants he was alleging exactly, since he referred to pants without being specific.

Does FT think we are all talking pants, or just some of us?
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - paulvm
Thanks to those who commented on the "Mercedes was in the wrong morally". I was indeed basing this opinion on the evidence submitted. I envisaged one car turning in the road and which was possibly at right angles to the flow of traffic. So I then imagined what I would have done in such a scenario. I could have tried to drive around either the front or rear of the other car, or just slowed and waited to see what was going on. Hence my comment.
Here is another scenario to consider. You are walking along a pavement which crosses the driveways to the houses on that street, and a car from behind drives across and in front of you into one of the driveways, brushing your clothes as it does so, another step and you would have been run over whilst walking along a pavement. Who is in the right and who is in the wrong?
This happened to me recently as a pedestrian, and the driver then shouted at me for being stupid and not looking for traffic. Do you stop and look for traffic as you cross every driveway in every street you walk down? Heaven help us for impeding anyone else.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Mapmaker
Ka driver was foolish to do a 3-point turn in a fast road. Bet she won't try that again!

MB driver was clearly not paying enough attention. Even if Ka missed seeing MB and started moving backwards, any sensible, prudent driver would have seen car at strange angle and slowed for it.

Knock for knock means that MB driver's insurance will pay his costs, OP will lose his car.

Move along please!
Tick
(Ka driver was foolish to do a 3-point turn in a fast road. Bet she won't try that again!)

This is not a fast road, it is a residential road and on a Sunday lunchtime. Unfortunately, it can be driven down at speed and most cars do way in excess of 40mph!

(Ka driver was foolish to do a 3-point turn in a fast road. Bet she
won't try that again!)

SQ

With you knowing the road and being more experienced would you perform the same maneuver?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/12/2009 at 19:06

Ka driver was foolish to do a 3-point turn in a fast road.

You can't know that, it's a ridiculous assumption.
That they're somehow dangerous, if performed in a proper place, with due care. The danger comes from herberts who won't wait for someone to finish their manoeuvre.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - injection doc
well haribo957, I'm sorry to hear of your experience , not pleasent for all involved. I too get frustrated at the arrogance of some drivers, why don't they just slow down! for the second they may of gained they have lost hours now!
I too was hit whilst stationary a few weeks ago buy a young girl doing well in excess of 40 when she had zero chance of getting past! but she did & took my 2 doors & rear wing with her!
Sadly becuase there were no witnesses the insurance company are insisting on 50/50 which had really wound me up.
I have now fitted an in car camera which to some on this forum thought a little excessive but lets just say i feel a little smug with it fitted. there won't be a 50/50 next time.
i wish you all the best & do get some resolve.
inj doc
It would clear up a lot of confusion if the OP linked us to the road on Google Maps.
The Merc apparently hit the Ka's NSF wheel so this would not appear to be a case of trying to squeeze though and mis-judging it (or that's a fair old mis-judgement).

Perhaps the Merc was going at a furious pace and appeared "out of nowhere" as people so often sa?. Perhaps the Ka driver continued to edge forwards when the Merc driver assumed she would stop?
Perhaps the Merc was going at a furious pace and appeared "out of nowhere" as people so often sa?. Perhaps the Ka driver continued to edge forwards when the Merc driver assumed she would stop?

Yes. From what Haribo has told us, both of those are possibilities. That's what makes judgement of this impossible. Even if we were there, and could agree on an apportionment of responsibility - 60/40 or whatever - that wouldn't affect the decisions arrived at by insurance men or a court, decisions that often seem weird and wonderful to a 'reasonable man'.

An example would be the unfortunate robbery victim who is now doing time for doing one of the toerags over with a cricket bat in the heat of the moment.

Edited by Lud on 16/12/2009 at 17:58

Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - Mapmaker
>>Unfortunately, it can be driven down at speed and most cars do way in excess of 40mph!

What a COOL place to do a 3 point turn. Let us know where it is and we'll all go up there to give it a go. Sounds like great fun.
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - ifithelps
Merc drivers are great aren't they?

Guy comes across an easily foreseeable hazard and drives straight into it.

Brilliant.

The fact the Ka shouldn't be there is irrelevant.

It could have been a broken down car, a cow, temporary traffic lights for roadworks, a load fallen from a lorry, a flood, subsidence, a collapsed bridge, a police road block to catch a murderer, anything.

The Merc driver should have stopped.

Clearly he has no forward observation skills, let alone road manners.

Should be charged with careless driving, also known as not paying due car and attention, which is clearly what he wasn't doing.
snip - reason why:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=42612

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/12/2009 at 01:24

Perish the thought, I'm not suggesting this for one moment, it's just that I'm cleaning my keyboard ... Could it be that Merc-man saw an opportunity in said 'accident'?
Hit by a car whilst performing a 3 point turn - maz64
An example would be the unfortunate robbery victim who is now doing time for doing
one of the toerags over with a cricket bat in the heat of the moment.

Reading reports, it did seem like more than a 'heat of the moment' thing - after intruders had fled, one was chased and caught by 2 brothers and hit over the head hard enough to break the bat into 3 pieces, resulting in brain damage. Possibly seen by the judge as revenge rather than self-defence.
seen by the judge as revenge rather than self-defence.

I don't doubt the judge's judgement. It's the same as mine.
However, 'the heat of the moment' can last quite a long time in these cases (in very extreme ones, for years).

In my opinion though the judge was erring on the side of 'encouraging the others' instead of the side of 'compassionate understanding of a man driven to great anger by cruel, criminal behaviour'. Perhaps he hoped the sentence would be reduced on appeal once it had shown people that anger isn't an excuse for any behaviour at all.

I certainly do. Can't really bring myself to blame the guy.