05 2.0 small oil leak driving me nuts! - smithie
Hi All,

I have a 2005 E90 320i - I have had a small oil leak where I can see oil collect on the metal plate that sticks out under the cylinder head, I can also see oil at the back of the cylinder, when I run a tissue around the back.

I have had the profile gasket replaced, and the problem went away for about a week , but now its back!? - Small collection of oil on the metal plate an oil on tissue when run around the back of the cylinder head.

Its very hard to pin point exactly where its from, but checking from the top to bottom it seems to start at the cylinder head.

My problem is - I called BMW in Europe and UK and they tell me they never really have to sell or replace the complete cylinder head (plastic housing). My mechanic has suggested it could be warped but to be honest the oil leak seems lower down and this part is about £250 without labour!

Anyone able to help or had the same problem.

Thanks in advance
Smithie

{Correct year entered into header}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/12/2009 at 13:35

05 2.0 small oil leak driving me nuts! - AM
Hi

Had same problem on my 2005 E90 320i.Was under warranty at the time with only 15000 miles on it. The oil is collecting on the heat shield above the exhaust. Dealer initially changed the rocker cover gasket which I think you have had done.

Oil leak reappeared.Dealer tried to fob me off saying it was residual oil but I knew it was not.After a couple more visits and BMW GB involvement they stated that it was the Vacuum Pump which was leaking.This is located just behind cylinder head on that side,under the air conditioning microfilter cover. I think pump costs around 130 pounds or so.

If you want to see pics you can go on bmwland forums, someone has put pics up of their oil leak. I think this is a relatively common problem.

Regards
05 2.0 small oil leak driving me nuts! - Dr Dave
AM - How nice to see you got a "Thank You" on this thread for pointing out the potential problem and cure.
05 2.0 small oil leak driving me nuts! - AM
I thought the same, never mind. Hopefully others with this problem can read about this and be helped out.

Regards