Application of 'L' plates - Tim Allcott
Junior is just about to start practicing on the Smart Forfour, and I want to be able to apply and remove L plates, rather than use adhesive plates and have to cover them when I'm driving. Panels are plastic: I can put a rear plate onto interior of rear screen using suction cups (won't obscure view). I was going to use magnetic tape and magnetic plates on the front, but they don't stick to each other. So I guess what I need is sticky tape with plain metal on it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Tim
Application of 'L' plates - the swiss tony
String?
Application of 'L' plates - bathtub tom
Velcro?
Application of 'L' plates - Dynamic Dave
I was going to use magnetic tape and magnetic plates on the front, but they don't stick to each other.

Did you have the tape the wrong way around and the 2 poles opposing one another rather than attracting one another?
Application of 'L' plates - grumpyscot
Actuslly, I would ask Junior to investigate possible solutions for you to decide on - let's Junior have the first step in having responsibility when motoring.
Application of 'L' plates - L'escargot
What about trying Blu Tack? It'll stick to any hard/solid surface and can be easily removed without causing any damage.
Thanks for all ideas: I think velcro and blu tack will be worth a try, but I want something that will adhere when we start exploring National Speed Limit on our local dual carriageways.
Tim
Application of 'L' plates - Dynamic Dave
but I want something that will adhere when we start exploring National Speed Limit on our local dual carriageways.

In which case the magnetic plates are generally rubbish unless on a flat surface and vertically placed.

Velcro should hold them on though. My work pass used to stay stuck to the handlebars of my motorbike at 70mph until it was time to detach it to show security at the gate.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/12/2009 at 12:47

Application of 'L' plates - L'escargot
Blu Tack is very adherent. In the past I've successfully used it (to seal a crack) on the inside of an acrylic bath. It stayed in position until I took it off several weeks later.

Edited by L'escargot on 11/12/2009 at 13:45

Application of 'L' plates - FotheringtonThomas
Is there enough room to secure it with cling-film?
and the prize for the most innovative idea goes to FT! mind you, at this time of year, attaching and removing anything is going to result in playing with a lot of road muck!