Was I in the wrong here? - SteelSpark
OK, so I was turning right onto a main road today (Green Lanes in London). Good visibility and not too busy, but a lack of gaps on both sides of the road at the same time, fair queue gathering behind me.

So, with a good gap from my right and a gap coming up from the left, I pull across so that I am over the lane with the front of my car touching the middle line.

The last car goes past from the left so I start to turn into the lane, when a guy coming from the right decides to cross over the carriageway and cross in front of me (would have smacked into me doing at least the, 30 mph, speed limit) followed my a woman (speaking on a mobile). Luckily I had not started moving quickly, and was able to stop.

Now, arguably I had pulled over the carriageway so as to block the traffic, but if he had slowed down just slightly I could have easily cleared the lane and he could then easily have passed behind me (when I initially pulled out he was a good way down the road).

My observation of other drivers is that getting out into the first lane is fairly common, or it is almost impossible to get out (I have often seen people completely blocking lanes and holding up a queue of cars), and get honked if I don't pull out.

I have tried edging out onto the same road, but they just come blasting past in front of me anyway. But when I am right across, it seems that they will cross the carriageway to get in front of me anyway.

From a legal point of view, perhaps I would strictly have been at fault for blocking the traffic coming from the right (albeit just causing them to marginally slow down), but those drivers surely don't have the right to go onto the other carriageway just to get past me (it didn't seem to be an evasive manoever, and they should have seen me from a long way out).

Legalities aside, does it sound as if my actions were unreasonable? Does it sound as if the other drivers' actions were reasonable? (of course, you only have my description to go on, but I think it is fairly accurate).

Was I in the wrong here? - gordonbennet
Green Lanes...my late brother lived there at one time (Winchmore Hill) but i don't suppose he was responsible for the non stop traffic, not when he was recuperating in the Green Dragon anyway:-)

In the cold light of day i suppose you were in the wrong if anything happened but when the traffic's like that you'd still be there now if you didn't stick your nose out and force your way over a bit at a time.

The main road near us can be like that at times..i sometimes turn left and spin round at the mini roundabout to turn right...swmbo who is very quick off the mark gives it a little while and just shoves the pick up into the road...both ways work but hers is quicker.

You'd do far better crossing GL if you chop the Mondy in for an Amazon;-)
In the cold light of day i suppose you were in the wrong if anything
happened but when the traffic's like that you'd still be there now if you didn't
stick your nose out and force your way over a bit at a time.

Yeah, that is the problem. As I mentioned, I have previously edged out, but everyone just blasts past you, so it seemed to be encouraging more aggresive driving. However, it seems that pulling right across to the centre will just encourage them to cross the carriageway.

I couldn't believe how incredibly dangerous it seemed for them to do that. I don't know why they would think that I wasn't about to continue the turn into that lane (if I had been faster off the mark there is no doubt that he would have hit me, and that she would have hit him).

Edited by SteelSpark on 04/12/2009 at 23:28

Was I in the wrong here? - bell boy
welcome to todays arrogant drivers
on an average day if im out somewhere i have two near misses from other drivers lack of concentration,the two today were a wandering clio because the driver was throwing rubbish out of her window and the other was an mpv overtaking a laden wagon on a steep hill as i came down in my transit,both of us in our commercial vehicles couldnt do anything to avert a potentially serious accident but fortunately the idiot in the car managed to pull in front of the wagon as i had slowed to a near stop
Was I in the wrong here? - 1400ted
I think you've made a perfecly sensible move, I can't see anything illegal about it.
With the current trend by many drivers not to give way to let you out and even block you in when the traffic comes to a stop, I can't see the alternative other than sit there until you die and become a skeleton. I do it all the time. I have to get out onto a busy main road. I wait until there's a safe gap to the right and then block the road.
On one occasion, one stupid prat actually drove in front of me..right to left....on the wrong sidec of the pedestrian refuges just missing the cars coming the other way....who's a naughty boy now then ?
Of course, driving an old 4WD helps.....don't want their poncey Audis scratched !
Good for you...make them have it !

Ted
On one occasion one stupid prat actually drove in front of me..right to left....on the
wrong sidec of the pedestrian refuges just missing the cars coming the other way....who's
a naughty boy now then ?

Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me, except there wasn't a pedestrian refuge and it was almost me that he smacked into rather the cars in the other lane.

With me having the kids in the car, it made me really angry that somebody would do that. Just seems like pure arrogant, aggressive driving (made worse by the fact that the second driver was talking on her phone).

Was I in the wrong here? - smilleynially
The Highway Code becomes non existent when you drive on 'Green Lanes' North London. Whenever I have the misfortune to drive up there I am always on heightened alert, expecting the unexpected... The joys of driving in London, where the uninsured, unlicensed and un-roadworthy roam dangerously free! :-)
Was I in the wrong here? - Dave_TD
With me having the kids in the car

Not sure I'd pull halfway across a busy road and stop in that case...
>> With me having the kids in the car
Not sure I'd pull halfway across a busy road and stop in that case...

Well it does make me think twice, but I am not sure that I really have a choice. I can't sit there indefinitely and, if I do, I will no doubt have a massive queue behind me getting more and more irate.

The only other option is, I guess, to turn left and then take the first right and then drive around the block (having to turn right onto a slightly less busy road) and finally turn left onto the main road again. Seems a bit extreme just to avoid these idiots, but then I'd hate to interrupt their phone calls with a fatal accident.
Was I in the wrong here? - Dave_TD
Not knowing the ages of your children I can't say for sure, but certainly an event such as a near-collision would stay with them for quite a while and colour their opinion of your safety as a driver too. My 9-year old had a lift with her aunt (mid-20s, held a licence for 3 or 4 years) last Christmas holiday, and there's a particular road where my daughter always pipes up that this is the hill where auntie xxxxx nearly hit a lorry coming the other way.

Ask your kids if they think Daddy (Mummy?) is a safe driver - the answer might just surprise you.
Not knowing the ages of your children

Luckily a bit too young, more interested in looking out for buses and lights of any kinds, or just gurgling.

On the other hand my wife, who has driven a lot in other parts of the country but not London, was already well put off driving in London, long before today. Apart from how busy the roads are, I think that she is as surprised at the perceived aggression as I am. I have only been driving a few weeks and already have plenty of stories of, in my opinion, ridiculous driving and aggressive behaviour, all for the sake of a couple of seconds here and there. Just seems that North London problem, once I get beyond the M25 or into Central London, things calm right down. Maybe there is just the wrong balance of having just enough space to be dangerous (unlike in Central London, where reaching 10 mph is a miracle) but still a lot of traffic.

I recently read that Enfield Lock station has the highest proportion in the UK of drivers jumping the lights on the level crossing. Sounds about right.
Was I in the wrong here? - henry k
All you can do is look out for the idiots. Expect anything these days.

A few days I was approaching a traffic lights controlled cross roads in Surbiton.
There were two vehicles in front and the lights were changing against us.
The first vehicle was rolling to a halt when the guy in front of me switched to the wrong side of the road, overtook the first vehicle and then went left.
I am guessing that he knew there is often an all red phase but what a stupid action.

I just lock the doors, windows up ( thanks for A/Cs ) belt up, zip up, leave the horn and headlamp flashing for others so that hopefully I can survive the Greater London mad house.
All you can do is look out for the idiots. Expect anything these days.

Yeah, I think that is the only real lesson to take away from this.

For example, I am going to have to keep pulling out onto main roads at certain times I day (I definitely avoid it and just wait patiently if there is any chance of a break), so I just need to be doubly sure that the cars from the right are not going to try to cut in front of me before I cross the carriageway.

If it means that I have to hesitate a bit and slow everybody down more than if I could rely upon the idiots to not be idiots, I guess that is the way it goes.

Because I couldn't go forward today, the cars that didn't cut in front of me had to completely stop, whereas the cars that did cut in front could have slowed very marginally and gone behind me - so they perhaps saved a second or two, but the ones who didn't drive like idiots lost much more time.
Was I in the wrong here? - Ben 10
I don't mind people pulling across my path to turn right, as long as they thank me with a wave or a nod. They always seem to acknowledge the ones that let them into the traffic but not the one that has to stop for them.
Was I in the wrong here? - Altea Ego
Yes you were in the wrong - you need to be much more decisive in London

The fact the guy managed to get round you means that you did not block off the road sufficiently to achieve a dominant "you aint going anywhere till I have got where I am going" manouvre.

Clearly they saw weakness in your body language and exploited it.
The fact the guy managed to get round you means that you did not block
off the road sufficiently to achieve a dominant "you aint going anywhere till I have
got where I am going" manouvre.

Not sure that I could have blocked it anymore, I was touching the centre line.

The cars from the right had to completely move into the opposite carriageway to cross in front of me.

So the last car from the left passes me, and I start to turn into the other carriageway, and the two cars from the right pass through whatever gap there is between the last car passing from the left and the front of my car.

Should I have actually gone partly into the other carriageway when there were still cars coming from the left? Not only would that have forced cars coming from the left to avoid me, I am not sure if the cars from the right would still have crossed in front of me anyway. But, if that is what I need to do, I'd appreciate you putting me straight.

Edited by SteelSpark on 05/12/2009 at 14:34

Was I in the wrong here? - L'escargot
If there was no collision what does it matter?
Was I in the wrong here? - wotspur
I do this manouvere all the time, and have to agree with Alto ego - in that whilst moving out and touching the centre line was ok, to have 2 cars think they could get through in front of you means there must have been a too big a gap between you moving out after the car going in front of the bonnet.
As l'escargot says - no collision no injuries no probs - better luck next time
I do this manouvere all the time and have to agree with Alto ego -
in that whilst moving out and touching the centre line was ok to have 2
cars think they could get through in front of you means there must have been
a too big a gap between you moving out after the car going in front
of the bonnet.

I guess that you guys are probably right, although I am really not that sure. The last car had passed and I started the turn and then had to brake as they came through.

They came through at speed, so had approached at speed and so presumably had decided to jump the gap before the last car had passed me. If I had turned earlier, I don't think they would have been able to avoid me.

My guess is that it is just reckless driving fueled by anger at having their way blocked. Even if I did leave slightly too much of a gap, it was still completely reckless because I was obviously going to be going forward.

I don't think that I will move faster in future, rather I will move more slowly and check that the cars coming from the right are actually going to stop. Too risky for my taste (especially with the kids in the back) to assume that those idiots would not plough on anyway.

I was delayed a couple of seconds, and just left angry by their driving, I can live with that.
Was I in the wrong here? - pda
>>>> I have only been driving a few weeks and already have plenty of stories of, in my opinion, ridiculous driving and aggressive behaviour, <<<,

Steelspark, driving in London is a nightmare for anyone but more so when you have only been driving for a few weeks.

However, try not to judge others actions, who will have a lot more experience than you just yet!

There is a fine line between progressive driving and aggressive driving.

What you see as aggresive now, I can assure you, you will see as yourself practicing progressive driving, in less than a years time!

My advice?

Take the left turn and go round the block at least until you feel ready to 'barge' as others do!

And tell your wife to stop nagging too:)

Pat
Was I in the wrong here? - ForumNeedsModerating
Nothing wrong with this - but I would second the view that you weren't quite quick enough once the traffic had passed (and a gap appeared..) from your left - the right coming vehicles obviously saw enough of a gap to swing round you - why weren't you there well before them?

I rode as a bike courier for several years in London & learnt to 'command' a space (..and upcoming space..) so as to deter the opportunists similar to those you encountered.

It's always useful to look as if I was about to go (look around, move in your seat, turn wheel slightly etc..) - even if I wasn't - it made other drivers hesitate & re-consider - which then allowed me to 'escape' / turn /merge whatever.

Now I live in the sticks, the level of awareness about road space & its value is pathetic - even with acres of space/time timid/poor drivers waste much time & can seemingly create a jam with 2 vehicles.

Edited by woodbines on 05/12/2009 at 17:11

Nothing wrong with this - but I would second the view that you weren't quite
quick enough once the traffic had passed (and a gap appeared..) from your left -
the right coming vehicles obviously saw enough of a gap to swing round you -
why weren't you there well before them?

You could be right, but it is not be recollection. There might have been a second delay, but there is no way that they saw ahead of time that I was going to leave that gap (again, they had to take the decision early because they had not slowed down).

I think it is more the case that they were gambling that if I saw them hammering towards me, I would not pull forward. They gambled right, but only just.

Think I am gonna get one of those cameras then I can post my adventures for you guys to dissect! :)
There is a fine line between progressive driving and aggressive driving.
What you see as aggresive now I can assure you you will see as yourself
practicing progressive driving in less than a years time!

Yeah, I am still getting used to the flow, but I think that there is no doubt that there is a lot of aggressive drivers, embodied both in reckless driving (like this incident IMHO) and just the honking, shouting, pulling faces that I see a lot of. It is only a minority (after all, in this case, after those two idiots went through, there where then a bunch that had to stop because I had not been able to move forward, but weren't supid enought to cross in front of me).

Sorry to be so dismissive of that small proportion of drivers, but they are aggressive idiots in my opinion. To cut in front of me saved them a second or two, on a road where there were no queues, and there is no doubt that it was dangerous.

On the other hand I do certainly see other drivers who are more assertive, and would like to learn from that.

I am hoping that I can become a more assertive driver, but don't seek to be one of the morons, who are likely responsible for a large proportion of the accidents, when they do finally lose on their gamble (of course, they will no doubt blame the other driver).
My advice?
Take the left turn and go round the block at least until you feel ready
to 'barge' as others do!

Thanks, I do appreciate the advice, but I think that I am happy with the amount of barging that I did. The lesson I am taking away from this is just to double check for the idiots (sorry to be dismissive again).

My guess? Most of the accidents are caused by one person being reasonably assertive and one person gambling that they won't be that assertive.

I think I am holding my own better and better (certainly room for improvement), but there are limits of what I am prepared to expose the family to, until such time that the idiots have wiped themselves out.
Was I in the wrong here? - 1400ted
A huge proportion of drivers today are selfish and thoughtless...they pass the test and that's it, no further thoughts as to improving their driving. Treat them all as morons and you won't go far wrong. Even the polite ones can get it wrong.....they flash you to do something, don't believe them. I can't count the the number of times I've been flashed out of a side road
when the flasher hasn't appraised the situation, missing the biker or cyclist that they overtook 10 seconds ago !
Waiting today to turn right into a car park....traffic solid in the other direction...3 cars could have stopped without slowing the queue down but no, and the 3rd one blocked my turn, gave me a mimsy wave of apology and sat there...they don't look ahead or think.
treat them all as though they're in their own little world !
When you get more experienced and wiser to the cut and thrust of life on the road you can indulge safely in some ' creative driving '.

Ted
Was I in the wrong here? - Devolution
Wind the window down and make eye contact with oncoming drivers when attempting to pull out... Didn't they do a study that decided drivers see other vehicles as impersonal objects and that by a driver appearing more visible and making eye contact increases the level of human interaction and increases more courteous behaviour.

Might not work if its turning into fast moving traffic, or if you have a creepy serial killer stare!
Was I in the wrong here? - Alby Back
Interesting that this thread relates specifically to London driving. By way of a personal observation I conversely find smaller towns tend to produce less aware and less considerate drivers than the larger cities.

In my view, if you proceed with confidence and make your intentions clear with good but non-aggressive positioning and clear signals in a large city you will mainly get cooperation from others. In small towns they are less savvy and much more protective of what I presume they see as their personal space.

I agree with the tip of trying to get eye contact from someone from whom you need a motoring favour though. I too will wind the window down and for example use a right turn hand signal in addition to the electronic indicator. Usually in a city that will elicit a positive response. In a small town though they will continue to stare straight ahead, often complete with the standard vacant mouth breathing medieval peasant expression set on their faces while blocking your way.

Conversely, get one of the city slickers on a fast open rural A road in the dark and they are often clueless in that environment.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 06/12/2009 at 10:16

Was I in the wrong here? - ifithelps
...eye contact...

Noticeable difference between driving the CC3 with the roof down or up.

More interaction with the roof down which makes it easier to get what Humph describes as 'motoring favours'.

Being decisive without being aggressive works well in big cities.

'Mirror, signal, manoeuvre' applies, but in a different order:

Manoeuvre, signal to confirm what you've already started doing, quick glance in the mirror to make sure you are not going to hit anything.

Although the mirror is optional.

Edited by ifithelps on 06/12/2009 at 10:35

Was I in the wrong here? - Big Bad Dave
"Noticeable difference between driving the CC3 with the roof down or up"

More sailors blowing kisses at you when the roof is down?
...More sailors blowing kisses at you when the roof is down?...

Bit of a tired old stereotype there, BBD.

But as you asked - after a fashion - I'll list one or two things that are different about driving with the top down:

You hear a lot more - snatches of conversation by pedestrians and sirens earlier than other drivers.

I pulled over for a cop car once, only to be flashed by the driver behind because he had yet to hear the siren.

Then there's birdsong and the noise from other vehicles, particularly lorries.

Driving through a village I passed a guy walking his dog and heard him address the dog by name - something you wouldn't hear in a closed car.

As regards interaction with other drivers, I think they see me as more of a human being with the roof down, which makes them less likely to cut me up and more likely to let me through.

A couple of motorcycle pillion passengers have waved as they've gone past - something they wouldn't have done had I had the roof up.

Some journeys pass without any of the above, but most do not, so generally speaking driving with the top down is more involving.
Was I in the wrong here? - sierraman
>>But as you asked - after a fashion - I'll list one or two things that are different about driving with the top down:<<

Was in slow moving traffic a few weeks ago behind a guy in a Willys Jeep,sans tilt,peds were stopping to chat to him as we crawled along.

Was I in the wrong here? - Altea Ego
But as you asked - after a fashion - I'll list one or two things that are different about driving with the top down:

Meeting drivers who think its funny to put the washers on full blast when being tailed by a person in an open top car?

(yes guilty as charged - sorry - its the child in me)

...Meeting drivers who think its funny to put the washers on full blast when being tailed by a person in an open top car?...

But since I'm such a good driver and always leave a decent gap, you wouldn't get me unless you had a Karcher under the bonnet. :)

Incidentally, the car's own washers don't spray into the cabin, although I thought they would.

Was I in the wrong here? - L'escargot
Rarely are driving incidents right or wrong. I see them as errors of judgement on the part of one driver at worst, or cases of six of one and half a dozen of the other etc.
Was I in the wrong here? - Lud
My two cents' worth is that Pat is right (apart from her assertion that driving in London is a nightmare - it only is sometimes) and that you will wonder in a year's time what it was you used to make such heavy weather of.

You were quick to understand my advice in your other thread that it's a good idea to keep moving if possible when obstructed by pedestrians and so on. Competent urban drivers understand the body language of each other's cars and are quick to spot hesitancy or nervousness, to which they tend to react with impatience. It takes a few months at least to acquire the quite subtle skills involved, which involve some assertiveness and a lot more restraint.

I don't know if anyone else has pointed this out, but along with the hustling main stream of practised London drivers there are pushy yobbos who will do out-of-order things. Perhaps the cars mentioned in this OP were in that category, although one would need to be there to tell. But you do have to watch out for those.

In a few months' time your car will look much more as if it knows what it's doing, and people won't crowd you so much.

Oh, and another thing: road layout is often less than ideal. In places where it is particularly bad, regular users of the route develop their own ways of dealing with it, sometimes dodgy.

Edited by Lud on 06/12/2009 at 17:03

Was I in the wrong here? - tack
Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I knew a WPC who would never turn right onto a main road, she would only keep turning left until she got where she needed to be.
Was I in the wrong here? - Alby Back
OCD or NBG....the WPC...IYSWIM ?