I Have a Question - Volume 330 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 331 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 330. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/12/2009 at 13:18

UK mobile phone sales. - Old Navy
In the USA supermarkets sell sim free mobile phones in blister packs "off the shelf (or rack)", Why not in the UK (same supermarket companies)? Anywhere else sell phones like this? Do the service providers have a srangle hold in rip off Britain?

Edited by Old Navy on 30/11/2009 at 19:25

UK mobile phone sales. - Robbie
Asda's 'phones are sim free and relatively inexpensive.
UK mobile phone sales. - Old Navy
I agree Robbie, just wondered why in WalMart (ASDA's parent Co and others in the USA) you can throw a phone in your shopping trolley like a can of beans. Not seen this in the UK, here they are usually linked to a service provider.
UK mobile phone sales. - rtj70
ASDA's parent Co

Technically, another UK Walmart company became the parent company of ASDA within the last month. Not a lot said but another UK subsidiary of Walmart took over ASDA in early November.

Anyway to answer the original question:

- For more basic phones, Car Phone Warehouse have unlocked handsets.... but you'll need to buy another PAYG SIM to take advantage.

- Companies such as Expansys (based in Trafford, Manchester - I've used them since they were on the Manchester University business park in 1996) do totally unlocked and legitimate phones including iPhones (expensive though - ouch)
UK mobile phone sales. - Martin Devon
>> ASDA's parent Co
Technically another UK Walmart company became the parent company of ASDA within the last month.
Not a lot said but another UK subsidiary of Walmart took over ASDA in early
November.

Asda (vodafone) sim 47 pence. 8 pence per min anytime. txt 4ppm anytime.

MD
UK mobile phone sales. - smokie
I thought all the phones in the States came with plans of some sort. I wanted to get just a Sim when I was there this year for cheaper local calls, but you can't - you have to buy the whole phone with a package.
UK mobile phone sales. - Stuartli
As far as I'm aware and as I've pointed out before, Asda does the cheapest PAYG in the UK. It uses the Vodaphone network.

See: www.asdamobile.com/help/about_us.html

PS

Which raises the simple question as to why Vodaphone apparently doesn't match it....?

Edited by Stuartli on 30/11/2009 at 23:29

Follow on from Cylinder Thermostat - Robbie
Looking on Google it seems that it is a fully pumped system, insofar as the hot water cylinder is not above the CH boiler.
Follow on from Cylinder Thermostat - Altea Ego
Robbie, you need to *know* how the current system is configured to know if the quote is realistic,

For example it sounds like it may need to be reconfigured, with a zone valve, thermostat, programmer, rewiring etc
Follow on from Cylinder Thermostat - Old Navy
Do you really think she needs complete rebuild just to fit a shower pump? She only needs to reduce the hot water temperature to the pump if that is the only change to the system. Back to blending valve. Any plumbers in the backroom?

Edited by Old Navy on 30/11/2009 at 19:49

No - it does not only need a blending valve. If its a twin rotor pump the blending takes place after the pump. Its the temperature at the pump rotor that counts otherwise cavitation wrecks the pump bearings ( you know all about cavitation ON, from your time in the silent service - as you know its temperature, pressure and impellor speed that influences cavitation)

So no. - "just a blending valve" wont cut it.

Follow on from Cylinder Thermostat - daveyjp
Part G of the Building Regs changed on 1st October and incorporates lots of changes to water temperature at the tap - max 60 degrees, reduced to 48 degrees to a bath so this may complicate matters.
With you on cavitation, AE, all a blending valve does is reduce the temperature, you can have one at every hot tap or in the supply to a shower pump. If the new regulations permit it. The blending after a shower pump is at the shower control, either manual or thermostatic. My blending valve controls the temperature of the whole domestic hot water system.

Edited by Old Navy on 30/11/2009 at 20:15

Missed the edit-

It is further reduced at the thermostatic shower control so I don't turn pink in a extended shower, unlimited fresh water, bliss.
Thanks ON.

Came across this www.h-i-e.co.uk/acatalog/valves.html which seems to be what is needed. If you click on the PDF link it has instructions for fitting the Salamander pump. and further down - figs 38 and 39 show the valve fitted before the shower pump.

£500 for fitting one of these. The guy is a rip-off merchant.

thats for a single impellor pump.

do you know what work is actually being done? do you know the configuration of the existing system.

the answer is No in both cases,

The pump in Robbie's link is a twin impeller pump, hot one end cold the other. blending valve goes in the hot supply to the pump to reduce the supply temperature, as per diagram.

Edited by Old Navy on 30/11/2009 at 22:26

I give up. Based on the fact we dont know what pump is being fitted or what what shower mixer, or what hot water system we have, or how its configured we have decided the plumber is a thief.
I give up too, all that has to be done is reduce the temperature at the supply to the pump, the system providing the hot water is irrelevant. I'm off to bed, goodnight all. :-)

Edited by Old Navy on 30/11/2009 at 22:36

do you know what work is actually being done? do you know the configuration of
the existing system.
the answer is No in both cases

The link shows the actual model pump that is being fitted in my friend's bungalow.

I'm familiar with the house, and the CH system is as described in Google - fully pumped. The link to Salamander shows the diagram of the system in my friend's bungalow. It is as ON has posted on here.
>I'm familiar with the house

Does it have 1 two way zone valve or two one way zone valves? . What the head of water to the cylinder? whats the cylinder capacity? How is the central heating programmer configured? where in the cylinder is the how water feed for the shower?

But never mind you just go round there and accuse the plumber of being a thief. I am sure your right

Edited by Altea Ego on 01/12/2009 at 10:27

I give up too, all that has to be done is reduce the temperature at the supply to the pump, the system providing the hot water is irrelevant. I'm off to bed, goodnight all. :-)

The above says it all. Thanks ON.
Tell you what robbie, why dont you go round and do it? you seem to know what to do.
Follow on from Cylinder Thermostat - maz64
The above says it all. Thanks ON.

Robbie - I can see from the threaded view that you replied to the bottom message in the thread (AE's) rather than ON's which you quoted. But if you do that, please can you indicate by some means when you are quoting someone else's post? Otherwise it gets confusing.
Follow on from Cylinder Thermostat - pmh3
Having read the Salamander document I suspect that there are no so many potential non compliance issues that the plumber just does not want the job!

Alternatively the plumber may be quoting to make an existing installation compliant before installing an additional item.

After all, the person to blame for any faults is the last one to work on it!
Well, all is not quite as it seems.

I called round this afternoon to see what was happening. The bungalow in question belonged to a close friend of mine whom I had found dead in his bedroom the year before last. The house was left to his daughter, who lives in London, and is going to move here when the house has been sorted out.

The 'phone call, regarding the cost of £500 to fit the thermostat, came from the property developer whose company is making alterations to the house for my friend. My friend has already paid £700 for repairs and changes to the central heating, and was concerned that she was now required to pay an extra £500 for the fitting of a thermostat.

When I called this afternoon and asked the plumber how he could justify the charge of £500 to fit a thermostat, he was quite taken aback and denied that was the cost. I won't go into all of the details of the conversation, but it seems that his boss had told Gina that it would cost an extra £500. There is a motorised valve in the hot water system and this had been replaced. A thermostat had been fitted to the hot water cylinder and wired to the valve. I agreed that this was sufficient, and of course the blender valve was not necessary.

We parted amicably after I expressed my concern about the costs. When I arrived home early this evening I had a call from Gina to say that Bill, the boss, had sent her an e.mail explaining what had been done and agreeing "to wave (sic) the charge altogether as a further gesture of goodwill as I do not wish you to be left with an impression of us as a company trying to rip off a clientor trying to pull the wool over your eyes."

The plumber had obviously contacted his boss following my unannounced visit.

I have told Gina to accept his offer.
Result! Excellent.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Old Navy on 01/12/2009 at 18:56

Bizarre pet names. - 1400ted
Following on from Pat's ' Ginger ' related tale of misery and woe, I remembered a couple of pet names from the past.
Do you have any examples of strange or very appropriate names.
Ours were mostly boring, Dogs called Honey, Sally, Poppy and Harry. We did have a Beagle called Muffin but he was the most anti-social dog I've ever known and ended up at a Beagle Hunt Kennels.
Friends had cats...Aeroplane Eggbottom....tail shaped like a propellor....trapped sometime in past !
Sidney Cooter.......was to be Scooter but disc engraver put a full stop in.... there was a ' Princess Prettypaws ' too.
They had a Bull Terrier called Gertrude as well.
Others had a black cat .....Barnum. Except part of the 'R' was missing from his food bowl which made it read 'Bapnum '
Most appropriate name...A guy named his Boxer...' Slobber '........neat !

Ted
Bizarre pet names. - Lud
One of my daughters used to have a cat given to her by a football crazed cousin, and already named Kevin Keegan when a kitten.

I once had to take Keegan to the vet for some medical service. The vet addressed me courteously as 'Mr. Keegan' ...

My late Soho hipster friend Anna used to have a cat called Moran. She claimed he wore shades with bamboo rims like Thelonious Monk, but I never saw him in them.

Edited by Lud on 01/12/2009 at 17:19

Bizarre pet names. - freddy1
my cat was called "cooking fat" ,, you try chasing her?

www.2130tj.co.uk/1/bigcat.jpg

www.2130tj.co.uk/1/cat.jpg

alas , after 16 yrs she has died ,

Bizarre pet names. - Mapmaker
"My" cat is called Rentokil.

This is the first time I have lived in a house in London without the sure knowledge that the garden is full of rodents.
Bizarre pet names. - henry k
When I was very young we had a cat called Skeezicks.
Not a lot of them around.
Bizarre pet names. - pda
Freddie she's beautiful:)
The bikes are pretty good too!

I had a tortoiseshell like her called Kippycat and another called Pinky after her wet nose.

Pat
Bizarre pet names. - Armitage Shanks {p}
If I had a kitten named after a footballer it would either be called Overpaid Poser or Cheating Bar Steward
Bizarre pet names. - perro
Back in the 80's we bought an orange & white Cocker Spaniel,
It came from the breeder with the name Marmalade, so we kept that name.
Its only now when I think back to those days how stupid I must have seemed calling out "Marmalade, Marmalade".

Before then, we had a Heinz 57 from Battersea dogs home and when I took him to the Blue Cross animal Hospital in Victoria, everyone in the waiting room larfed when the Receptionist asked for his name and I said Rover! I honestly couldn't understand what was so funny about that (still can't)
Bizarre pet names. - Rattle
In 1991 called Dennis, named after the milk man. He sadly was run over and was killed at a very young age. In 1993 we got a new cat called Thomas and decided to name him after the new milkman.

In 1997 we got a second cat we called Jerry as in Tom and Jerry (because our other cat was called Thomas). Jerry died in 2003 and we got another kitten who acted like a plonker so we called him Rodney.

Today we have Thomas who is almost 17 so will be giving him driving lessons soon (although he has severe dementia now so the DVLA may refuse him a licence) and Rodney who is a very loyal cat.

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/cats...g

Thomas is the black and white one, Rodney is the tabby one. Thomas sadly is looking quite old now, he is still active and happy but he is acting very silly. It is like having a baby in the house.

Bizarre pet names. - bathtub tom
I recall taking to the vet a cat that had been run over. The children had named it.

The vet asked what it had been called.

Lucky I replied.
Bizarre pet names. - perro
Ere's a piccie of my 2 dogs (hehehe!)
www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/?saved=1
Downstairs lights fuse blown - any concern? - Rattle
The fuse on the downstairs lights blew this evening. Luckily I had some spare 5 amp fuse wire and rewired it it. My mum turned on a light bulb I fitted two weeks ago and it made a big flash and then the fuse blew.

Looking at the lamp there is an insect mark on the bulb itself (glass) and there is some brown areas of the glass.

The consumer unit is a Wylex 8 way consumer unit wired to 14th Edition regulations. It was wired in 1980 this is the first time we have had any trouble with the electrics.

What has likely to have caused this?
Downstairs lights fuse blown - any concern? - rtj70
I know from experience a blown bulb can trip a fuse. Although I'm thinking MCB (mini circuit breaker) instead of normal fuse wire. That's probably the cause.

Edited by rtj70 on 01/12/2009 at 22:26

Yeah know MCBs do, but I didn't think fuses were quick enough to react to a bulb going. It was bought from a bargain shop so suspect it was probably faulty. It was only two weeks old. It is an old style 100w for landing as we couldn't find any energy savers bright enough.

I have thought about upgrading to MCBs but the system is so old I can't see any benefit long term it needs a new 18th edition consumer unit with RCDs etc. Maybe when the system gets to 40 years old my parents will think about upgrading.

Edited by Rattle on 01/12/2009 at 22:28

It is an old style 100w for landing as we couldn't find any energy savers bright enough.

We've never found a problem with energy savers being bright enough. An equivalent to 100w would be bright.

Before you need to rewire you could always move ;-)
Downstairs lights fuse blown - any concern? - Pugugly
Might be a faulty bulb Rattle or a lightening related event.

Rob,

No problem with bright energy savers - the delay in getting to full brightness is a nuisance on the landing.
You're not wrong PU - except ours gets bright quickly. Might be down to choice of bulb? We have two lamps in the lounge that take more time to get to full brightness (old energy savers).
Indeed thats the problem, we have energy savers in every room but the landing for that reason.

And Rob yep hopefully I will have moved out by then, 27 years with the same view is starting to get to me!

It was my parents who had it rewired in 1980 when they moved in as it was a 1950's rubber installation. Been told by neighbours that the original wiring would have been in 1906 on a lighting circuit only. That must have been highly dangerious even 1960's standards.
Downstairs lights fuse blown - any concern? - 1400ted
I tried an old energy saver above my computor desk last week....it is now gone and a normal 100 watter in it's place....took too long to get anything other than ' dismal '
On the other hand, just replaced 5x40 watt golfballs in the hall light with 5x8 watt mini savers.
They give instant bright light and it seems brighter than the previous 200 watts...changed mainly due to only me knowing that lights can actually be switched off in our house !

Ted
Those 8w ones are brilliant, I cannot remember the connection but its the mini screw type spot lights, they would last a few months in the kitchen and there is four of them, each were 40w, replaced them with those 8w minis and not only is it brighter the four bulbs put together use 8w less than one of the old bulbs alone. Amazing progress.

Ted I think the problem with energy savers is people buy the cheap ones you get in supermarkets and then wonder why they don't perform well. I've got lots of spair supermarke ones I paid like 25p each for but they are not very good as a main light source but fine for a shed.
I tried an old energy saver above my computor desk last week

If an old energy saver, try a newer one. I find they can be brighter than you thought it would be. And instant brightness. They're basically mini fluorescent lights.
Downstairs lights fuse blown - any concern? - jbif
If an old energy saver, try a newer one. >>

Try a "daylight" 6400K one and after a few days use, if you are like me, you will want to change most if not all energy savers in the house to the daylight version. Not as cheap as the normal energy savers, but Homebase do them for less than £4 each.
xclusivesupplies.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPa...5

Edited by jbif on 01/12/2009 at 23:20

Downstairs lights fuse blown - any concern? - dimdip
I have thought about upgrading to MCBs but the system is so old I can't
see any benefit long term

Yes, definitely worth fitting MCBs since they might save your life where a fuse wouldn't.
Downstairs lights fuse blown - any concern? - henry k
It happens regularly when a bulb blows so just relax and change the fuse.
I always thought that the fillament breaks and in flapping around reconnects again for a very brief time.
I changed a plug fuse just last week for the same reason but I have 1,2,3 5,7,10 & 13 Amp fuses, depending on the item powered so mine might blow earlier than the box fuse or the / MCB trips.

Instructions to SWMBO is that the only fuses that should be changed if I am not around are those in table lamps. Having changed the bulb if it blows again then unplug it ( for her peace of mind)
In all other cases the applliance needs investigation

www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/bulbs.htm
Henry to clarify this was a pendant light fitting on the downstairs lighting ring. It is protected by a 5 amp fuse in the consumer unit some distance anyway from the bulb which blew. It was one of the old fashioned wired fuses so I had to replace the wire itself, very fiddely when its 5 amp (its so damn thin the wire had a mind of its own).

>>this was a pendant light fitting on the downstairs lighting ring.
>>
Still no problem with the wiring.
Glad you enjoyed the old art of changing fuse wire. Not like these new fangled PC things :-)
So relax and sleep well.

Re the old VIR wiring you had . The wire would shed its insulation at the fittings.
It would become brittle and just turn almost to dust.
The wire further inside the slip conduit would be intact.
I pulled some from slip coduit the other day and it was in perfect condition.
My previous house -1930s that I bought in 1965 had the original wiring totally untouched.
So two lighting circuits and NO power sockets what so ever.
It was common to have adaptors between the pendant light fitting and the bulb - in effect T off and very often with a pull cord switch.
How things have changed!
The consumer unit is a Wylex 8 way consumer unit wired to 14th Edition regulations. It was wired in 1980 this is the first time we have had any trouble with the electrics.

But you have NOT had any problems with the electrics. Calm down its just normal.

If it is the common Brown or white Wylex unit I have in mind with a cover over the fuses with a tiny screw securing the it was easy to swop the fuse holders for MCBs and the just cut our the premarked hole in the lid.
Just one screw per fuse / MCB - simples

swop
www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Ind...l
for
www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Ind...l
Downstairs lights fuse blown - any concern? - Mapmaker
Rattle.

Your wiring is good in perpetuity. PVC cabling does not have a recommended life - i.e. no PVC wiring that has been fitted is yet in need of replacement.

Swap the fuses for MCBs as henry k suggests.

5Amp fuse wire DOES just blow. It gets thinner at a point, and then a shock like your light bulb is enough to melt it. 28 years is probably quite a good life for a thin bit of wire that's actually designed to go at some point.

Downstairs lights fuse blown - any concern? - David Horn
Normal - although I didn't think many houses still had fuseboards since it's so damned inconvenient if a fuse does blow. We had the one at my grandparents' house replaced with an RCD protected consumer unit because kids were moving into the house. Replace with MCBs.

HOWEVER - remember that depending on the design components on the inside of the panel may still be live even if you think it's not. Buy a voltage detector and if in doubt pull the main fuse from the supply. You might get a ticking off* from the power company for breaking their sticker but better safe than sorry.
Pronounciation - Pugugly
Huw Edwards - whose precise English is his second language was narrating a programme I was watching tonight. His English is usually grammatically very sound and I couldn't help noticing he pronounced "Denbigh is an 'istoric town" whereas I would say (If I never needed to of course) "Denbigh is a Historic town" Huw does not usually drop is aitches. Any views ?
Pronounciation - Rattle
Could it be a Welsh language thing? E.g Conwy but the English say Conway.

Mind you 'istoric' is an English word so its probably more just he slipped his tonque, maybe he talks like a chav in real life and he just puts it on the TV :p

I consider myself fairly well spoken but my mates tell me after a few pints I sound more manc than Terry Christian. So do I just put in it on normally?
Pronounciation - Pugugly
Conway is Conwy and its Official ! No he doesn't speak like a chav in real life either !! :-)

No I've re-listened it is clearly enunciated in a way that non-native English speakers do - Rowan Williams is another, listen to his precise and proper use of Englsh and you'll get my drift. It's almost painstakingly perfect. (He is second language English as well)
Pronounciation - Rattle
I know its official and I spell it Conwy, but it still dosn't stop me saying Conway.

I think the Welsh say Conwee? or something like that.

I always get told off by the Welsh for saying Llandudno, but then I got told off for pronoucning Rawtenstall 'Rawtenstall' instead of 'Roto'n'stall'.
Pronounciation - rtj70
I think the Welsh say Conwee

No they don't.

What programme was it PU. I'm intrigued. And will find out somehow I hope about the mis-pronunciation.
Pronounciation - rtj70
If it was pronounced incorrectly then I do wonder if it was deliberate.

I'll try to find out for you. Once managed an email from the chairman of BT one christmas so this shouldn't be so hard. And a few days later some senior managers grovelling etc. And got a few apologies from the BBC before now due to mistakes they made.
Pronounciation - Pugugly
It was a very deliberate the way it sounded. Huw's English is better than most other BBC people these days - that's not hard though.
Pronounciation - rtj70
And is that an historic town or a historic town?

But no he doesn't drop his H's. In Welsh it's not Denbigh though... so might have been on purpose?

Edited by rtj70 on 01/12/2009 at 22:56

Pronounciation - Pugugly
Well I would say "a Historic Town" but I'm odd an believe that unique should be preceded by "an" and not an "a".

Edited by Pugugly on 01/12/2009 at 23:00

Pronounciation - drbe
I am sure we have debated this before. However.

Isn't the 'a' or 'an historic town' or 'an hotel' originate in the fact that English is derived from Latin and the letter 'h' doesn't appear in Latin (I think).

Would you say 'a hotel' or 'an 'otel'. in other words the 'h' is silent.

I don't feel that I 'ave explained that very well.
Pronounciation - 1400ted
I'm quite keen on the correct language and grammar. Not infallible, but we were taught well in the 50s.
I concur with you, Pug, in this. I think the ' H ' should be heard

Ted Edit...Yes, just saw that...I think it should be ' an historic town '

Edited by 1400ted on 01/12/2009 at 23:02

Pronounciation - Rattle
I always try to speak well but its the ers and oh's with me. I am not quite as bad as "Manchestoh" but I probably say "Manchestah". I blame my mate who lives on the other side of the city I picked up too much accent!
Pronounciation - 1400ted
Shameless !

Ted
Pronounciation - Rattle
Oi I am not quite that bad :) Actually when I watch that I am usually screaming speak properly you're giving Manchester a bad name even if they are selling drugs or robbing cars at the time.

Edited by Rattle on 01/12/2009 at 23:13

Pronounciation - rtj70
Shameless

Used to be filmed originally in West Gorton. I remember seeing the tank and military on the streets there. One pub they used needed a new fascia to make it look better than it did in real life!
Shameless pronounciation - Rattle
Gots its own set in Wythenshawe now. I never knew what area of Manchester it is supposed to be. Some say Stretford but it seems too rurual to be Stretford (area out of the Estate seems quite open) and the bus services are irrgular so I would say its supposed to be a remove part of Wythenshawe or maybe an overspill part of Manchester.

My mate says he has been into some pubs like the one in Shamless but the nearest I have been to it is one in Picciddilly, it was so rough there was bouncers everywhere and this was Monday at 7:00pm.

I like Shameless because its pure fantesy.
Shameless pronounciation - rtj70
Shameless was most definitely West Gorton originally. I won't comment on the area here. Rattle if you want to know where it was really filmed originally then drop me a line.
Pronounciation - Pugugly
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00p9520/Hidden_Hist.../

Edit:- Just appeared on Iplayer its less than a minute into the programme clear as a bell and all the more odd for it.

Don't start me on "Coventry" or "Cuventry"

Edited by Pugugly on 01/12/2009 at 23:14

Pronounciation - smokie
Nah I think it should be an 'istoric. From memory, it's something to do with having consonants next to each other.
Pronounciation - smokie
Just done some reading on it (that's reading, not Reading!).

Best case I came up with was that it should be similar to "hour", with silent H.

Now, you wouldn't say half a hour, would you...
Pronounciation - bathtub tom
What about "an hotel", and where do you put the apostophe in "cows milk"?

Pronounciation - rtj70
That's English for you needing it's rules to be broken.

Surely for one cow, then it would be cow's milk. For more than one then cows' milk.
Pronounciation - jbif
Pronounciation >>

Down sarf, we spell it "pronunciation" [i.e. less the second "o"]

Pronounciation - rtj70
>> Pronounciation
Down sarf we spell it "pronunciation" [i.e. less the second "o"]

I miss typed it. :-)
Pronounciation - 1400ted
Do what you like with the ' H ' but please, please leave both the ' Gob ' and the ' smacked ' out of Gobsmacked !.......Oh, and ' Gutted ' as well

Ted
Pronounciation - bathtub tom
I'm just grateful he didn't drop the haitch.

We'll be on about wing mirrors next. ;>)
Pronounciation - Pugugly
I'm going to e-mail him and ask !
Pronounciation - perro
>>> I'm just grateful he didn't drop the haitch <<<

Being a cockerknee, the letter H and me are complete strangers but - it often amuses me when someone pronounces it as Haitch whereas the actual spelling is aitch :-)

The missus says that re: A or An, it depends whether its followed by a con or a vowel as in - An Elephant, A Soldier, An Historic.
Pronounciation - jbif
>> >> I miss typed it. :-) >>

rtj - Not you. See the OP's subject title running through all the posts.

Edited by jbif on 01/12/2009 at 23:29

Pronunciation - Pugugly
whoops. !
Pronounciation - rtj70
But I did mistype it and not correct it myself. But I did rely on Safari to correct it for me.

Life's too short to worry about these minor things. Some of us will have no home before Christmas (me included but deliberate on my part due to a sale and moving to relatives on a temporary basis with some money in the bank)

So lets chill on these things ;-)
Pronounciation - Pugugly
No room at the (Premier) Inn ?
Pronounciation - rtj70
No room at the (Premier) Inn ?

Yes but more room in a house whilst we work out timescales. And it's only 2 miles away.

We don't want to rent if we don't need to. Our sale could be exchanged in a total time of less than 5 weeks.

Now if someone wants a house sitter for a bit then I'm your man ;-)

Edited by rtj70 on 02/12/2009 at 00:14

Pronounciation - Lud
It is spelt, and pronounced, PRONUNCIATION.

Sorry. Just got on my nerves a bit.
Pronounciation - drbe
Is it time we discussed how the letter "H" is pronounced?

Is it "aych" or "haych"?
Pronounciation - ifithelps
Some people from Wearside have a habit of dropping the 'h' where there is one, and inserting one where there is not.

The extra 'h' is often done for emphasis.

Many years ago at court, I heard the following piece of evidence from a witness in an assault case:

"Eee 'it 'im on the 'ead with an haxe."

Pronunciation - Mapmaker
An 'istoric is the correct, if somewhat old fashioned, pronunciation. Unless you're a grand old buffer, it's probably rather pompous these days.

Edited by Mapmaker on 02/12/2009 at 10:20

Has winter hill been turned off? - Rattle
I can only recieve PSB1 on my PVR but sadly there is no way of choosing Winter Hill only. Its a Goodmans box my mum got for me as an accidental early Christmas present so I don't know if its this to blame or a problem with Winter hill?

I can now essentialy only watch BBC channels, the problem happened after midnight.

I want to scream :(

I have tried countless rescanning and it has not made any difference :(
Just done a google search and it seems other isosoniacs are having the same problem. I don't think they told is we would be loosing freeview signal while all this is going on :(

There was no warnings or anything about this :( The most we have been told is retune your boxes.

I am now worried when the muxes get back to full power as I cannot select Winter Hill I am going to get a lot of channels from other regions. I want Granada not BBC Wales or Yorkshire.

Apparantly it won't get back to normal to 6:00am. I have left my laptop in my boot on purpose too so I don't end up all night on the net, just wanted to watch telly while I nodded off.

Edited by Rattle on 02/12/2009 at 00:48

I didn't realise the extent that they are swapping things round, I just assumed they were switching off analaogue and leaving freeview muxes alone for a bit. It seems they are doing it all in one night hence all the problems with missing channels.
Has winter hill been turned off? - Martin Devon
On our hill here, Winter is very definitely on!
Has winter hill been turned off? - Stuartli
The complete closure of the analogue transmissions (BBC2 was stopped on November 4th) and the full switchover to digital transmissions at Winter Hill was made from around 6am today.

Digital transmissions are now approximately 10 time stronger than previously...:-)