95 1.2 car died on me last night wont turn over - ams08
Hi i was driving to work last night when my car made a pher noise then lost power.i have all my lights etc but my car will not turn over at all.we thought it may have run out of petrol but have stuck some in and nothing.
any ideas to what it may be?have tried jump leads and nothing
would be very grateful for any help or advice
thanks in advance
95 1.2 car died on me last night wont turn over - Altea Ego
I suspect your cam belt has gone, which if this is the case is probably going ot cost more then the car is worth.

Usually with the clio to fix, its head off and new valves, and cam belt kit, and water pump.
95 1.2 car died on me last night wont turn over - Peter.N.
I would conclude the same. When you say it wont turnover I suspect you mean that the starter is not turning the engine, if the engine is locked trying to start it should result in the lights almost going out, is this what is happening?
hi yeh the lights come on then,when i try and start it they go out.but it just makes a short coughing like sound.it doesnt turn over.ive no idea whats wrong with it.
When it died did it bring the car to an abrupt halt or did it slow down normally?
it slowed naturally but it also died on a roundabout too so not the greatest of places.it felt like when you have your foot on the clutch going round a corner so really smooth.it didnt jump or anything before hand either.checked the fuses there all ok.tried rocking it when in gear and bump starting it.nothing.
sounds odd that the engine wont turn now, what normally happens when the cam belt breaks is that the damage is done in a split second, the engine will then turn over very freely as it has no compression. It could be that a valve has broken and is sitting on top of a piston. Try turning the engine backwards, put it in 5th and push it backwards and see if the engine turns.
95 1.2 car died on me last night wont turn over - bell boy
i had a car once that made the pher noise
jack douglas was the previous owner-----------
i also saw a cowboy mechanic hammer the valves straight on renaults finest last month
it lasted a week before it got towed in again
this car needs the services of a mech that can confirm your belt has gone and wrecked the top of the engine,(very common at this age) and then you yes you the OP can decide whether repair or scrap is the way forward
i recommend a good s/h head all the shennanigans the belt runs on and then antifreeze etc
its going to cost in the region 0f 3 to 4 big ones depending where you live
might be better giving it to china of course and get the bus till reserves of cash put you back in the driving seat
good luck tally ho and dont forget to cash the road tax in and get a destruction certificate for the old beast so the dvla who now do tours apparently dont come chasing you with fines for cars you no longer love

message ends...........