96 1.9 damage by garage?!? - jamestheoddone
hi all, new to this forum but seems to be an excellent place for help!

I recently took my 306 d turbo with the lovelly DHY engine for a clutch change. Having done the job (and at the reasonable price of £275) I took the car out for a spin. No problems! However, the next day, torrential rain caused flooding in my area, and while driving the car stalled. Called the RAC out, and it turns out the car is hydrolocked! Apparently, the garage left off the ducting running from the air filter to the back of the engine, and it sucked up great gulps of water! I returned to the garage and they admitted the mistake (still on the workshop floor!) and are happy to "have a look".

What I would liek to know is 1. should I have to pay for anything? 2. how much are repairs likely to cost (best and worst case scenario) 3. can they just bung a salvage engine in and 4. can they just refuse to repair it, and claim on their insurance or something?

I REALLY love the car, and dont want it to die (especially with the new clutch)!

Thanks in advance, people.

PS: sorry to be so long-winded about it all!
96 1.9 damage by garage?!? - 659FBE
The car will need a new engine.

The garage have clearly been negligent by not re-assembling the car to the maker's design, so they are liable for all costs incurred. Sloppy workmanship costs money - make sure that you get some reasonable guarantee on the replacement engine and that they fit it properly.

96 1.9 damage by garage?!? - Altea Ego
but you may share som eof the responsibility for driving through flood water deep enough and fast enough to get water into the engine bay.
96 1.9 damage by garage?!? - andrewuwe
1.9's are quite resistant to that. I drowned mine and it just needed a new air filter. If yours really is locked with water in the cylinders, it'll depend on whether is stopped with a slam or not. They'll probably try and get the water out and see if it still runs. I'd demand an emissions test for free before they give it back.
96 1.9 damage by garage?!? - jamestheoddone
thanks for all the replies peeps, just an update if anyone's interested!

Apparently, the car has a bent conrod. It's being repaired on a good will basis because the air inlet is sooo low on the back of the engine. They;re had it since Tuesday, but apparently it won't be ready until NEXT tuesday?!? Never mind: at least it's free!