Nissan Micra not starting - Murray
Hi,

my mate has a Nissan Micra 1.0 (M reg) and the car was working fine one evening, then the next day he goes out and the car wont start - we dont know anything really about fixing cars so any ideas are much appreciated....

There is petrol in the car!!, when turning the key the engine is trying to start but just is isnt firing up. Could it be the distributor? Can I just take a spark-plug out to see if they are sparking? Any other checks to make...???

Cheers,
Murray
Nissan Micra not starting - Dynamic Dave
Can I just take a spark-plug out to see if they are sparking?

I would advise against that with today's modern electronic ignition. Also, there is a risk that you could damage the electronic igition circuitry if you're not careful.

You say the car is trying to start, which suggests the electrical side of things is working, if not 100% though.

I would try cleaning/replacing the plugs, distributor cap, and check the plug leads haven't gone open circuit.

It could be any number of things. Water in the petrol for instance.
I'll try giving everything a clean up. It has been pi**ing with rain here for 4 days now (Scotland eh!) so water could well be the problem. Is there any way of draining the petrol tank if it turns out to be water in the tank - other than syphoning (spelling?) - does it have a drain plug?
Nissan Micra not starting - Richard Hall
Strangely, my next door neigbour's Micra (K reg) has exactly the same problem today, after a night of torrential rain. I'm hoping that she doesn't ask me to take a look at it, as I really can't be bothered, after spending most of Saturday outside in the rain, trying to persuade an elderly American V8 to stop pretending to be a V7.....

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Nissan Micra not starting - blank
not that I would ever suggest fraud, but if someone with RAC membership was trying to drive the car and it wouldn't start...
Nissan Micra not starting - Emerson Fittipaldi
If it's been raining, try spraying the ht leads and area with a bit of WD 40, as it acts as a water dispersant. It's worth a try?
If it's been raining, try spraying the ht leads and area
with a bit of WD 40, as it acts as a
water dispersant. It's worth a try?

OK in the short term, but eventually dust, grime and belly button fluff sticks to the WD40 and it can make matters worse.
Nissan Micra not starting - Toad, of Toad Hall.
not that I would ever suggest fraud, but if someone with
RAC membership was trying to drive the car and it wouldn't
start...

That's not fraud. Both AA and RAC cover the person not the cars. You don't have to own it or even be travelling in it.

I'd recomend either.

--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Nissan Micra not starting - Andy22
the aa or rac just get you home or fix a minor problem they aren't as in the know as a mechanic, surely!
Nissan Micra not starting - blank
>> not that I would ever suggest fraud, but if someone
with
>> RAC membership was trying to drive the car and it
wouldn't
>> start...
That's not fraud. Both AA and RAC cover the person not
the cars. You don't have to own it or even be
travelling in it.

I would be if the member was only asked to "want" to travel in the vehicle because it was knackered!
Nissan Micra not starting - pete w
We have an L-reg Micra that had the same problem. Called the AA man who got it going in less than 2 minutes.

Our problem stemmed from the fact that the previous night I had shifted it a couple of yards on the drive. This, apparently, had upset soem electronics / petrol supply and flooded. The AA man just kept his foot pressed on the accelerator and kept it spinning over with the key. After a while and a bit of coughing and spluttering it was fine. This has happened just once since when I knew what to do, of course. DON'T pump the accelerator as this just makes it worse.

Hope this is useful. ( Affects BMWs apparently too !! )

Many thanks to the AA.
The AA man just kept his foot pressed on the accelerator and
kept it spinning over with the key. After a while and a bit
of coughing and spluttering it was fine.

For now maybe, but in the long term, not good for the Cat, if it's got one fitted.

Nissan Micra not starting - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
It's never a good idea to start a cold engine, move it a few feet and switch off as the engine tends to flood.If it is fooded just floor the accelerator and crank it till it goes. HOWEVER, there is a known problem with Micras overfuelling at low ambient temperatures which has been addressed by Nissan in the form of an additional resistor in the coolant temperature sensor wiring which is readily available for about £20 from dealers.
Thanks for all the help on this one - keeping the foot to the floor and cranking her worked a treat. After a while it started so took it for a long drive straight away and its firing fine now.

Cheers,
Murray

PS: I'll look into the £20 resistor thing....