Fiat Brava 1.4 timing belt. - David Woollard
Having established it is sound advice to change the Vauxhall EcoTec timing belt /pulley by 50,000 at the latest I'm a bit worried about a Brava 1.4 I look after.

Customer not keen on any more than minimum work, have mentioned timing belt/pulley to them before but a rather blank response. Car has now convered over 40,000 miles.

I know HJ mentions the plastic pulley tending to go so look at a 30,000 interval but have any of you heard of or dealt with this actually happening?

David
Re: Fiat Brava 1.4 timing belt. - Neil
It has happened to my wife's Bravo 1.8 HLX whose belt has a longer design life of 72000 miles but lasted 34000. The cost of damage could run to £1000 at main dealer prices.

I would advise the customer to either have the work done or take out some form of warranty. However, in order for the warranty to remain valid, the service record should be maintained. This could mean replacing the belt anyway at between 45000 or 60000 miles depending on the schedule.

A warranty which covers the airbag system and the rear wash-wipe would be useful.