A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - wiltshire_driver
Here is a video demonstrating the stupidity of the government's scrappage scheme:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=feadbYB55mw

I think this is a disgraceful destruction of our motoring heritage, and should never have been allowed to happen.

{mods note:- please be aware that the video contains swearing}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/10/2009 at 01:34

A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - Ben 10
You can't blame the government for that. The blame is purely on the shoulders of the greedy owner. He didn't have to trade it in.
spood, I disagree. The owner just wanted their £2k allowance. I am sure they would have been happy for the dealer or scrapyard to pass it onto a classic car enthusiast. However, under the terms of the scrappage scheme the government says it MUST be destroyed.

Edited by wiltshire_driver on 11/10/2009 at 22:27

A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - CGNorwich
Its an old car of, which there are still thousands, around not a unique old master.
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - Manatee
You can blame the Government actually. There are a lot of serviceable cars that are worth way less than £2000, and scrapping them early in favour of a newly made car is wasteful and damaging to the environment.

The scrappage scheme is also a substantial non-means-tested handout which has been taken as a straight subsidy by many very well off people with an old car lying around. If I'd had my current Land Rover more than a year I might have put that in, and I'm not -yet - in need of a handout from taxpayers with over a trillion £ of national debt including unfunded public sector pensions and PFI obligations.

I am a bit cross.
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - Altea Ego
I am a bit cross.

well look at it like this, without it, you would nothave a new car to buy in the future, and that means a second hand car. The makers would have been bust.
Thanks AE, I feel much better now you've explained ;-)
If it was mint it was presumably worth £2000 anyway?
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - oldnotbold
Nothing to stop the car from being stripped of everything before the shell is scrapped - it's only the shell that has to be destroyed.

Sounds to me like it wasn't mint, to be honest. Lots of Minors have shocking undersides, and that video isn't really evidence if it being even half-decent.
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - Harleyman
If it was something super-rare I would agree with the OP. Not sure about other forum users but around my end of Wales there are a good few Moggies in regular daily use, so one being crushed is hardly a loss to our heritage.

I have heard tales of classic cars being saved from the scrappage scheme, and also "parted out" as the Americans say. We've certainly benefitted from it, as has the environment. Wifey's Punto no longer leaks oil on our drive!
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - L'escargot
Regardless of its condition it doesn't measure up to any of today's safety standards and as such shouldn't be allowed on the road. I agree with it being destroyed.
Regardless of its condition it doesn't measure up to any of today's safety standards and
as such shouldn't be allowed on the road. I agree with it being destroyed.

That is like saying all buildings of a certain age should be demolished because they don't meet todays safety standards, e.g. historic castles with narrow staircases.
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - mike hannon
And every other old car too, presumably?
Oh come on, Mr Snail.
There's a lot of NCAP 5 motors being driven by uncaring morons out there too.
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - nick
Don't feed the troll.
Put cars like that in a museum by all means, but please don't allow them to be driven on public roads.

Edited by L'escargot on 12/10/2009 at 18:11

A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - Andrew-T
Put cars like that in a museum by all means, but please don't allow them to be driven on public roads

Les, methinks you do protest too much. Drivers of Moggies are aware that their vehicles are less 'capable' than modern counterparts and drive accordingly - partly because by your own definition, they know they will come off worse in any collisions.
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - john farrar
I wonder if the accident stats support your case?
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - Martin Devon
Put cars like that in a museum by all means but please don't allow them
to be driven on public roads.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH hark at you Monsieur Perfecto.
>> Put cars like that in a museum by all means but please don't allow
them
>> to be driven on public roads.
>>
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH hark at you Monsieur Perfecto.

When anyone says "They don't make cars like they used to." I always reply "Thank goodness for that.". I may be old but I'm not a sentimental fuddy-duddy.

{tags onto the post you're actually replying to!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/10/2009 at 11:19

A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - b308
Showing them to others who may be too young to know them and as a nostalga trip for those of us who are old enough to know them is no bad thing though... and its much nicer to see something running than stuck in a museum... Though I agree that it shows how things have moved on, the Maxi may still be a very practical car (the wheelchair fits in the boot for a start, which is more than it will do in many similar sized modern cars), but its nowhere near as easy to drive as a modern car...

A large percentage of the population love "nostalga", MrSnail, and there is a fair chunk of the Tourist Trade built around it as well (and we in this country are not alone in that!!)...

Edited by b308 on 13/10/2009 at 10:37

A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - JH
Look at it this way. The remaining Moggies are now slightly rarer and possibly more valuable as a consequence. This will continue until they are so valuable that no one will dream of scrapping one. Perhaps. Just think of all of the cars that once existed of which no example is extant.
JH
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - Lud
I do find it amusing that Morris Minors are now cosily called Moggies and thought of as trundling, slow old rusbuckets. When the Minor 1000 first came out it was favoured by rich young men for its relatively good handling and turn of speed (a good one could exceed 80).

I was hitch-hiking on a sinuous stretch of the A420 in the late fifties when a new Morris Minor 1000 appeared over the horizon slightly sideways, passed and vanished absolutely flat out, displaying as it did so some different slip angles. I recognised the driver, who I knew slightly, but he was working so hard he couldn't possibly have recognised me let alone slowed down. I confess to a pang of envy at that moment.
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - TedCrilly
I love all these "Scrappage-classics-destroyed its the governments fault" threads, perhaps the OP could explain why? Did they MAKE the owner of the Moggie trade it in and if so how? Was it silent phone calls, anonymous letters containing threats of violence or kidnaped family members? Did the MIB pay him a visit late at night with some sort of blunt instrument??......Of course not. The government might have given him an option but the owner made the decision HIMSELF.

Unless you fully understand or are in exactly the same situation and circumstances as the owner I consider it comical that you could even consider making a comment such as this. You may consider the car a classic or have a soft spot for them but the plain fact is it is the property of the owner, as such he has every right to do with it what he wishes, nor should the government be "blamed" for anything he chooses to do with it.
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - Martin Devon
Unless you fully understand or are in exactly the same situation and circumstances as the
owner I consider it comical that you could even consider making a comment such as
this. You may consider the car a classic or have a soft spot for them
but the plain fact is it is the property of the owner as such he
has every right to do with it what he wishes nor should the government be
"blamed" for anything he chooses to do with it.

Ted Crilly for PM.
I love all these "Scrappage-classics-destroyed its the governments fault" threads perhaps the OP could explain
why? Did they MAKE the owner of the Moggie trade it in and if so
how?

By means of a £2,000 "incentive"
The government might have given him an option but the owner
made the decision HIMSELF.

I agree. It is hard to turn down a £2,000 incentive
Unless you fully understand or are in exactly the same situation and circumstances as the
owner I consider it comical that you could even consider making a comment such as
this. You may consider the car a classic or have a soft spot for them
but the plain fact is it is the property of the owner as such he
has every right to do with it what he wishes nor should the government be
"blamed" for anything he chooses to do with it.

The owner was taking advantage of an incentive, and I don't blame them for that. I admit that I would be tempted to do the same if I were in similar circumstances.

What I find so immoral is that cars which are in good condition (whether they be classics or even low-mileage cars from the late 90's) HAVE to be destroyed when the dealer/scrappie could have been allowed to sell them to people with a limited budget and/or enthusiasts who find them particularly desirable. It just shows how out-of-touch this government has become to working-class people on a limited income/budget.
The owner was taking advantage of an incentive, and I don't blame them for that. I admit that I would be tempted to do the same if I were in similar circumstances.

So its a case of "Pot kettle Black" then?
The owner was taking advantage of an incentive and I don't blame them for that.
I admit that I would be tempted to do the same if I were in
similar circumstances.
So its a case of "Pot kettle Black" then?

Not really, it is the government who brought in the scheme with it's draconian "the car must be destroyed" rules.
The choice between the car being destroyed or not is up to the owner, not the government........thought we had covered this?
The choice between the car being destroyed or not is up to the owner not
the government

No.

When someone takes part in the scrappage scheme, they don't have the choice as to whether the car gets destroyed or not. The government says all cars traded in under the scheme MUST be destroyed.

But the owners DO have a choice........ Either take part in the scrappage scheme knowing the car will be crushed or not take part the scrappage scheme knowing the car will live on.................or have I missed something??

OR......do you expect the Government to give the owner £2K JUST....for chopping in a a 10yr old+ car and letting it pass on into the trade for someone else to take £2K off them in another 12 months, then someone else in another 12 months etc etc etc......WOW what a world that would be eh?? Talk about a money-go-round....or is that you just havent thought this through and considered the "what happens next aspect" of all this??

Edited by TedCrilly on 13/10/2009 at 00:06

When someone takes part in the scrappage scheme they don't have the choice as to
whether the car gets destroyed or not. The government says all cars traded in under
the scheme MUST be destroyed.
Therefore TedCrilly is correct. The owner puts the car in knowing that it will be destroyed, and it is the owner's choice to do so.
Cars in good condition HAVE to be destroyed when the dealer/scrappie could have been allowed to sell them to people with a limited budget and/or enthusiasts ...

I agree absolutely, as I have said above (keeping a 20-y-o running). But the fact that many of them can only be sold for peanuts suggests that the demand for them is small. Maybe the immoral bit is the frantic building of new cars - which has to be done on a large scale to be viable - when almost everyone needing a car already has a good serviceable one? Not much more than fashion really ...
Maybe the immoral bit is the frantic building of new cars -
which has to be done on a large scale to be viable - when almost
everyone needing a car already has a good serviceable one?

Don't forget that new/updated models incorporate new technology and safety measures. These features are important to some people.
New/updated models incorporate new technology and safety measures. These features are important to some people.

Perhaps. But I suggest that many, if not most, are put there mainly to make the model appear more desirable than the one it replaces. Other threads on here have dwelt on the notion that several of those gizmos are totally expendable; or on the suggestion that modern engine management systems are over-elaborate and unfixable or undiagnosable when they misbehave.

Maybe 'new car technology' has been developed to the point of diminishing returns. But the public will probably keep buying novelty for that reason alone.
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - Avant
Strange that this thread has gone to 50 posts.

Surely if the Minor had been worth saving its value would have been more than £2,000, so the owner wouldn't have found it worthwhile to use the scrappage scheme.

Presumably it must have been 'pudding' underneath.

End of story - or am I missing something?

Edited by Avant on 13/10/2009 at 00:07

I think the problem lies in the somewhat misguided belief that ALL Minors are worth £2K upwards.
I think the problem lies in the somewhat misguided belief that ALL Minors are worth
£2K upwards.

A very good point Ted.
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - rtj70
>>>> Presumably it must have been 'pudding' underneath.
End of story - or am I missing something?

And from Craggy Island... I think this thread is coming to an end. Anyone for some tea?
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - zookeeper
slight tangent, since getting rid of the ford i hadnt needed to use the local scrapyard for a year or two, i went down last sunday just out of curiosity and to my amasement they have all gone
I dont know if its due to the scrappage scheme or an enviromental issue but they had been there since the 1960,s and very popular too, it looks like a military compound now, the whole area screened off with 8 foot boarding and painted grey..the authorities obviously dont want people looking in....goodness knows where il go for spares now?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/10/2009 at 01:05

A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - TeeCee
It's a combination of things.

My father had a chat with his local scrappy a couple of years ago. He said that firstly there just wasn't the demand any more. People just aren't interested in turning up to look for secondhand bits.
Secondly and more importantly, the 'elf n savedee nazis have had their dead hand on the process. He was about to "close doors" anyway as he was no longer allowed to let people wander around the stacks taking bits off themselves. Apparently it's way too dangerous and anyone doing this runs a high risk of being horrifically injured or killed. I guess that in the light of this I must know quite a few very lucky people, including myself. Anyhow, if he wanted to sell parts, he was going to have to dismantle the vehicles himself and keep the parts as stock. Not worth it.

The one bit of recycling that we used to be really good at in Britain and the wingnuts have made it impossible.
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - Altea Ego
to let people wander around the stacks taking bits off themselves. Apparently it's way too
dangerous and anyone doing this runs a high risk of being horrifically injured or killed.
I guess that in the light of this I must know quite a few very
lucky people including myself.

Indeed. Scrap yards have always been the most dangerous einvironment around. ask anyone of an "age" and they will recount stories of getting parts from the yard under extreme teetering and tottering cirumstances.

Pity - such exciting days

stories of getting parts from the yard under extreme teetering and tottering cirumstances.

Indeed. My favourite yard, in Sussex, had an evil white gander that used to sneak up and try to peck you as you grovelled in the sludge under the tottering heap of metal. Only two or three - one wasn't enough - smart taps on the beak with a smallish spanner would deter the creature.

Health and safety is only the pretext for closing breakers' yards, although it's quite a convincing one as pretexts go. The real reason is to force motorists into the hands of main dealers and the aftermarket industry. I believe it may not be unconnected with the apparent spread of shameless thieving by some garages and replacement consumables chains.
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - JamesH
Surely if the Minor had been worth saving its value would have been more than
£2 000 so the owner wouldn't have found it worthwhile to use the scrappage scheme.

As has been posted, it's should have been considered to be worth no more than £1,000 to get that much from the government. Between the dealer/manufacturer the rest of the discount may have been forthcoming anyway.

The £2k is relevant if a very cheap car is bought and a normal £1k discount not offered by the dealer, perhaps someone elderly buying something new as he/she has reached a stage where something needing regular tinkering becomes a chore.

I realise normal discounts come from the dealer while the scrappage £1k comes from the manufacturer, but I'm surprised some dealers haven't caught on to the value of some trade-ins and bypassed scrappage. Maybe keeping all the returns for themselves if need be.

E.g customer trades in classic genuinely worth £1.5-£2k. Dealer says he'll give £2k off 'from scrappage' but 'forgets' to do the admin. Dealer sells car on for £1.5k.

-Customer gets same deal as if scrappage.
-Dealer/manufacturer only contributes £500 discount instead of £1k, still gets the sale.
-Government gets its VAT but saves itself £1k discount.
-Classic car saved
Looks win-win for all parties, the only one losing is the scrap dealer with one less car to profit from.

Plus, as some might feel is another loser-out, the one who actually then buys the classic for £2k that someone else thinks is just a £200 lump of metal.
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - Bagpuss
It's only a Morris Minor. The metal will be recycled and used to make a decent car.
Motorists have a sense of history. Car users - classic consumers of mass-produced goods - don't have a sense of history. They just consume, bulimically.
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - PhilW
Slightly different angle from Minor? - have read most of the posts above and hope I am not repeating something already said.
Wife's Xantia HDi Exclusive is 10 years old early next year. She wants a new car. It's done 110k miles, engine never needed anything except cambelt and regular oil changes. However, it has needed about £300 - £400 spending per year for last few years - new exhaust/cat, new window winding gear, new electro-valve(?), climate control new valves and recharge etc. I point out that that amount of money is not much to spend on a car and that if she buys a new car with all the stuff on the Xantia (climate, sun-roof, leather, electric seats, electric this that and the other, cd- changer etc, etc) that the depreciation will be much more than £400 and that the scrappage scheme means the Xantia will be crushed when there MUST be someone out there who would make good use of a basically good car. Problem is, I can't see any similar Xantias advertised out there for much more than £1000 and many are £600 - £800.
So what do you do - claim scrappage of £2000 or sell for hopefully (let's say) £750? Seems a great waste of existing resources to scrap it
Phil
A mint Morris Minor - Destroyed deliberately - Avant
Looks like the environment v. your wallet Phil. I think I'd let it go for scrap and hope that the metal would be recycled.

And if SWMBO wants a new car she may not be swayed by environmental arguments....
It has needed about £300 - £400 spending per year for last few years

If that amount bothers you (or your wife) then consider that any new car will immediately depreciate about 3 times faster. You know the foibles of your (t)rusty vehicle because you have looked after it. If it suits your needs, keep it. Forget scrappage - it's too good to throw away.