Speed Camera Thread - Volume 49 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 50 *****

For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

This is Volume 49.

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted. But then if we only posted original stuff the backroom would grind to a halt in a fortnight.

;o)

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking HERE

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/10/2009 at 13:52

Covert Speed Camera - A127 - tack
A bit of a brouhaha has been caused by "Essex Safety Camera Partnership" in their use of a covert camera and van on certain nights of the week. These sited on the London bound A127 near the Brentwood turn off. The local MP is frothing at the mouth and, apparently, the whole of Essex is fizzingly angry (except me)

Essex spokesperson says that as there is an issue with certain bikers meeting on this night of the week, speeding and riding dangerously.....it is a proportionate response.

I don't really have a problem with covert cameras to be honest. In fact, I think the use of a covert camera would more accurately reflect the negative attitude to speed limits by drivers.

When approaching overt cameras, all that happens is that speeding drivers brake on approach, then speed up again after. Hence, out of 1000 cars passing, a small proportion get caught (through day dreaming one suspects)

With a covert camera, how many out of 1000 drivers do you think would get caught?

PS:- Having said I have no problem with covert cameras, I did don the flak jacket and tin hemet in anticipation of shrapnel coming in my direction. Fire away!

Edited by Pugugly on 04/10/2009 at 19:27

Covert Speed Camera - A127 - Old Navy
Speed limits are not optional, I dont see the problem with any speed cameras.

Far better than inverted potholes.
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - woodster
I wonder why the local MP is frothing at the mouth? Still, he/she is in the perfect position to get the speed limit increased! Ah, what's that I hear, they don't want to change the speed limit, just remove the detection equipment...
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - fredthefifth

I agree with your sentiment - my only problem is with the fairness of it all. I got caught a few years ago doing 41 in a 30. Mind you it was one of those dual carriageway 30 mph zones with no drive access etc, but nevertheless a fair cop. It was a covert operation and I never saw the camera.

Trouble is I now drive along there at 30mph and get others driving up my backside trying to 'encourage' me to go faster or get overtaken by cars doing my 41 and a bit!!

Where are the covert camera's then I ask!

Regards.
FTF

Covert Speed Camera - A127 - paul2007
Covert speed cams no worries, as long as they are in REAL danger spots!

The standard speed cams must be oe visible so people ne to the area slow down as the area is a so-called dessignated 'accident' blackspot.
The new samller yellow cams - they should have a larger yellow plate fitted lower on th pole so it's eaier for drivers to spot if cams are rally there to stop serious accidentsas opposed to astealth tax!!!

R you worries about your post, lol.
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - jc2
The requirement for cameras to be marked was withdrawn some time ago!
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - Robin Reliant
I'm not a fan of cameras, being known to occassionally stray off the straight and narrow myself.

However, as someone once remarked to me, "Speeding fines are a tax on stupidity". I couldn't really come up with a counter argument.
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - ifithelps
...I wonder why the local MP is frothing at the mouth?...

Must have been worried about being snapped speeding while on the mobile. :)
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - Manatee
Perhaps covert cameras should be a standard feature in residential areas - that way there wouldn't need to be many to act as a deterrent, and the 'inverted potholes' could be got rid of.

Edited by Manatee on 04/10/2009 at 20:44

Covert Speed Camera - A127 - b308
Yep, can't argue with that at all. Common sense, really.
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - stunorthants26
A tax on stupidity sums it up perfectly. A cull on the number of people with driving licenses who think the law only applies when they can see a form of law enforcement sounds like a jolly good way to get more people on public transport as our caretaker government wants and reduce congestion at the same time.
Not only should they be covert, but after they catch you, a sign with your reg number should pop up saying 'Gotcha!' - would save the two week odd wait to s=find out if you got caught eh :-)
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - Westpig
what a marvellous idea......so up until now, the unaware get done with overt cameras, allowing the aware to get away with it, because they're taking note of their surroundings and adjusting their speed to the circumstances

now with this idea, you'll have everyone mimsing all of the time....(with speed limits set nowadays to a lowest possible denominator)

there'll be no room for any individual judgement... meaning that capability goes completely out the window (individual judgement)...so you'll have a nation of slack jawed incompetents pootling around in a total day dream...but that will be alright because they won't be breaking a speed limit....they will of course carry on driving into things and having accidents, because they won't be used to paying any attention to changing circumstances

and the ones that really need looking at will continue to speed, because they won't be registered

ho hum....we're virtually there any way aren't we
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - Pugugly
Sounds a bit like that silly horsebox that North Wales Police had.
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - the swiss tony
what a marvellous idea......so up until now the unaware get done with overt cameras allowing the aware to get away with it because they're taking note of their surroundings and adjusting their speed to the circumstances
there'll be no room for any individual judgement... meaning that capability goes completely out the window ...but that will be alright because they won't be breaking a speed limit.... because they won't be used to paying any attention to changing circumstances

Westpig..... we really need more Police Officers with your views!
so much sense spoken (typed) in your post....

Westpig for the top police job.... you would get my vote!
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - oldnotbold
I'd do things slightly differently:

Overt, signed cameras - penalties as today

Covert cameras, sliding scale - first 10mph over the limit, 2 points and a smaller fine, 10 - 20 mph as normal camera penalty, but more than 20 mph over the limit, double the penalty, so at 90 mph recorded on an NSL dual (at least 95 on the clock) it's a big fine and six points.

Sounds harsh, but it hits those who are using the roads when they should be on a race track.

Edited by oldnotbold on 04/10/2009 at 22:52

Covert Speed Camera - A127 - Manatee
>>now with this idea, you'll have everyone mimsing all of the time....(with speed limits set nowadays to a lowest possible denominator)

Note that I suggested covert cameras "in residential areas" i.e. where few would argue with a low limit, and to replace road obstructions.

I suppose it would creep though, you might have a point.
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - Mr.Tee43
As you all seem to be in favour of this ever increasing "Big Brother" society we seem to getting, I have a better idea for you.

Every speed camera should have a machine gun mounted in it. Break the law and you get shot.

Darwinism at its extreme.

Then we can all drive along like automatons except politicians, who will be in bullet proof cars of course.
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - retgwte
really this is nonsense

given the number of people who drive an inch from the car in front who are never brought to book

or the thousands of foreign students driving on foreign licences with no clue how to drive safely in the UK

or the millions of pensioners especially in places like Bexhill without the basic ability to turn their heads or control a car within basic parameters

a few people going a few mph over an arbitary limit on an empty dual carriageway is NOT something that should be a priority

im sorry its nonsense

Covert Speed Camera - A127 - Sofa Spud
I'm not opposed to speed cameras, whether static or police operated, either.

I think a distinction should be made in the use of marked and covert cameras though.

It's fair enough for the marked cameras to be used to enforce the ACTUAL limit, within a margin of error, as they do now.

However, covert cameras would be most justifiably used for catching serious speeders, people driving at considerably over the limit, as it seems was the case described above.
>>allowing the aware to get away with it, because they're taking note of their surroundings and adjusting their speed to the circumstances<<

No, they are adjusting their speed for the 20ft distance past the camera and then they do what they like whether or not it is actually safe by the judgement of the level headed person you hope is behind the wheel but unfortunatly often is not. I dont have a rose-tinted opinion of the capabilities of the majority.

Ive have never understood this notion that driving above the speed limit suddenly makes you Scumacher-esq. Your just driving faster, not better. It is perfectly possible to drive at or below the limit without falling asleep or driving into things and to argue that we should be encouraged to disregard the limit and go with what we all think individually is right for us would hardly increase road safety.
I had a yellow Punto near on rear-end my car this morning after I had pulled onto teh main road because he disregarded the 30 limit past the end of my road and thus his closing speed on a blind junction was too much for safety, but HE obviously thought it was safe and HE is one of those random people you have so much misplaced faith in - the rather animated gesticulations of his terrified female passenger and his subsequent backing right off and sticking to the limit suggest I was not the only one who was not entirely convinced about how he was going about his speed regulation.

People are invariably need saving from themselves unfortunatly and I see too many irratic and downright stupid driving on the roads without the notion that these people should be given free reign.
Far better to campaign for more intelligent speed limits than suggest people disregard the law.

>>so you'll have a nation of slack jawed incompetents pootling around in a total day dream<<

I assume this also includes Police Officers who drive at the speed limit then, unless of course they receive special training for mimsing?
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - Lud
Visible speed cameras are useful in one way: they reveal what utterly hopeless speed awareness a majority of drivers have. It's fairly unusual, when passing a speed camera on a busy road with say a 50 limit, like the A3 Kingston Bypass, not to be forced down to a real 45 or even 40 when these nursery-school graduates with virgin licences see one, and are in a majority as they so often are. .

How pathetic people are. And they're all bristling at the thought someone might want them to get out of the damn way too.

Bristle away chums. You're in the damn way. Grow up for heaven's sake.
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - cheddar
Covert camera
Illogical, if that road is dangerous at anything over the speed limit then the operators of the camera are being reckless and mercenary in allowing drivers/riders to speed so as to prosecute and fine them.

Overt camera
Makes sense, it reduces the speed of traffic because drivers see it and only catches the blatant law breakers.

How appropraite speed limts are at different times of day, traffic levels, weather etc is a factor as well. It is clear that on some, say, 30 limit roads 15 mph can be reckless at some times and 45 quite safe at others though in this technological day and age we still have to put up with flat speed limits.
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - Ravenger
It makes no sense to me to use cameras and fines by post to enforce speed limits. If speeding is as dangerous is the authorities say, then speed traps should be manned and offenders should be pulled over immediately, otherwise you're letting them continue their possibly dangerous behaviour blissfully unaware they've been caught until a NIP drops through the post up to 14 days later. And of course by pulling people over there's no chance that drivers can deny who was driving.

Many years ago I got pulled over by a manned speed trap for speeding in a 30 zone, and the experience of being dealt with there and then by a Police officer certainly slowed me down after that.

If I got a fine through the post up to two weeks later it would annoy me rather than educate me, and I think education should be the prime motive, not punishment.
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - Armitage Shanks {p}
"Essex spokesperson says that as there is an issue with certain bikers meeting on this night of the week, speeding and riding dangerously.....it is a proportionate response."
I thought that camera vans photographed/detected oncoming vehicles? If this is the case, and with motor bikes not having front number number plates I can't see the point!

Covert Speed Camera - A127 - Armstrong Sid
I thought that camera vans photographed/detected oncoming vehicles? If this is the case and with
motor bikes not having front number number plates I can't see the point!

I've often wondered that as well. I've also seen quite a few motorbikes where the rear number plate is noticeably smaller than usual. The actual size of the plate is small, and the typeface is obviously even smaller, about the size of a postcard. Are those things legal?
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - tunacat
There was an interesting article in last week's Autocar magazine about the truth about whether speed is "the single biggest contributory factor" in injury accidents, and how the DfT may have massaged the statistics in their attempt to prove they've achieved their aim of halving the number over the last decade through the use of scameras.

Couldn't find it on their website during a brief look-see just now. Might try and post a few salient points from it when I can next access my paper copy, unless anyone else can get there in the meantime.

Ultimately it looked as though this simplistic blinkered approach of "safe = not exceeding posted speed limit", whilst decimating human-police patrols, might actually have started turning the flattened-out curve upwards...

Covert Speed Camera - A127 - b308
But speed IS the single biggest contributary factor - if we were all stopped then there would be no crashes!

(On a serious note to your post, statistics can be made to prove anything, that doesn't make your view or theirs wrong... just looked at from a different angle... just like the earlier post advocating more flexibility on speed limits... ok if everyone has the same driving skill level, but in reallity impossible to work.)

Edited by b308 on 05/10/2009 at 14:27

Covert Speed Camera - A127 - cockle {P}
Use this stretch of road regularly and can't say I'm surprised that the police are doing this.

If they catch anyone like the five bikes that passed me on that stretch a couple of weeks back then they won't be getting a NOIP and the chance of taking a fixed penalty, they will be going straight to magistrates for serious fine and a ban.

I was travelling at about 72-75, according to sat-nav, when their lights appeared behind me in the outside lane as I was overtaking, I pulled back into lane 1 and they steamed by at a very quick rate of knots, I would suggest they were well over 100 probably nearer 120, possibly even more. They were riding very close to each other and if someone were to do something silly in front of them, or not be aware of them until the last minute and panic a little, and thus doing something stupid, there would be a high risk of some serious carnage. If the police are aware of this and have evidence that it is happening on a regular basis then the are duty bound to try and do something about it, if they didn't then imagine the uproar when something tragic happens and they say,'oh, yes, we knew that was likely to happen.' They'd be hung out to dry.

If these guys want to ride at the sorts of speeds I witnessed then they should go and find a track day, I'm certainly not an advocate of mimsing around but these bikers were OTT IMHO.

Bear in mind that the A127 already has a section of NSL average speed cameras between Basildon and Rayleigh and then 50 mph average speed cameras from Rayleigh the rest of the way to Southend then it will only be a question of time before the whole road has them if something were to occur. Of course, the fact that the average speed cameras don't affect the bikers because they don't have a front number plate won't stop Essex County Council......
Well yes it seems like riding at 100 mph is a bad thing, but apparently, according to many, this is perfectly ok if THEY think it is safe and we are to rely on that alone. Ho-hum.
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - Westpig
Well yes it seems like riding at 100 mph is a bad thing but apparently
according to many this is perfectly ok if THEY think it is safe and we
are to rely on that alone. Ho-hum.

Stu,

I can only presume that's aimed at me..if so...it's a misrepresentation of what i've (constantly) stated.

Either you know that and my response isn't going to make any difference..or... you don't know my point, in which case i'll try again.

If you drive down your local roads, 30mph limit, built up area etc, it MIGHT be o.k to do so at 50mph on some occasions...e.g. 0500 on a fine summer's morning. On that same day at 0830, it may well be unsafe to do 20 mph. The driver would have to make an informed decision on each and every occasion, constantly monitoring and willing to change it....NOT...drive down it automatically at 30mph regardless....which is what many do. I am not saying that 50mph is o.k. in all 30 mph limits either, far from it, i'm saying be aware of your surroundings and adjust your speed to the circumstances.

It remains 100% illegal to drive at 50mph in a 30mph limit and any miscreant runs the risk of being prosecuted for it, however i'd like to see a fair and balanced result without any hysteria attached to it or the loaded penalty that doesn't take into account the far more dangerous offences committed on our roads.

The same principle applies at all speeds, up to a point i.e. really excessive speed is always going to have its' acute dangers.

Ahaa ! A law breaker.
72 - 75 is breaking the law. I suggest that you go straight to a Police Station and confess your crime and ask to have a fine and 3 points.

You are now a criminal.
72-75 on Sat Nav is probably not speeding, actually! My sat nav tells me that my speedo over-reads by 3 mph right across the speed range so 73 speedo indicated is just legal

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 05/10/2009 at 19:03

Covert Speed Camera - A127 - woodster
ravenger - have you tried pulling over a bike doing over a ton? If you think about it, it's impossible and not a little bit dangerous. Ever tried catching one up? Almost as bad.
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - Ravenger
ravenger - have you tried pulling over a bike doing over a ton? If you
think about it it's impossible and not a little bit dangerous. Ever tried catching one
up? Almost as bad.

I understand, but in that case they'd still be better off pulling the bikers over later when they've slowed down rather than letting them continue on blissfully unaware.

A ex-colleague of mine had experience of this - he rode at up to 150mph on the M1 on his Fireblade. The police had to send the helicopter after him. He only knew he'd been followed when they caught him coming of the motorway. He got six weeks in prison!

He said according to his satnav his speed was 72 -75. The speed displayed on his satnav is probably quite accurate.

If he had said according to his speedo, then I would accept your argument.

I now wait for a correction to his statement so as not to incriminate himself.
Mr T - you are completely correct! I mis-read the post. 72-75 on sat nav is 72-75 in the real world. However, it might not trigger a prosecution if the ACPO guidelines of limit +10% + 2mph are applied ie 79 in a 70. They are only guidelines though!
drove along that section of the 127 a few times today, where is this hidden camera then? i didnt see it

Covert Speed Camera - A127 - Robin Reliant
drove along that section of the 127 a few times today where is this hidden
camera then? i didnt see it

Don't worry, the NIP will give the precise location when you get it.
you assume i have legit number plates on

Covert Speed Camera - A127 - cockle {P}
Didn't say that I was an angel!

I tend to drive according to Westpig's philosophy of driving according to the prevailing road conditions.

The point I was mainly trying to make is that the main risk, in my opinion, is that these sorts of speeds cause excessive closing speeds which many road users will not be expecting and therefore create an inherently high risk of an incident occuring with the attached consequences of high speed collisions involving bikes. If you are on a NSL road travelling at, about, the NSL you may well not be looking for someone closing on you at an additional 30-50 mph. For instance you may well be glancing in your rear view mirror every, say, 30 seconds, a bike half a mile behind travelling at 90 will be seen three times and the speed assessed by the driver in front, the same bike travelling at 120 might only be seen once, if at all, before he is on your rear bumper. If a biker hits you in that scenario he hits the car at 50 but will hit the road at 120, not a pretty outcome I would suggest, probably perfectly routine on a track, we see them every week on MotoGP, but on a road with all the associated street furniture about?

As regards the camera, it is normally a van set up in standard Gatso mode, photographing the rear of offenders and parked up 90% hidden behind a bridge support so not visible, easily, to oncoming traffic.
It also does a similar thing on the westbound A127 just west of the A130 junction, this is a 50 limit with average speed cameras but the first camera and, strangely, last of the 50 limit before it increases to NSL average is a couple of hundred yards after the slip road. A lot of people join the prevailing traffic, sitting at a steady 50, at silly speeds knowing that they don't have to slow because they can't break an average speed limit by going past only one camera.........
Covert Speed Camera - A127 - the swiss tony
For instance you may well be glancing in your rear view mirror every say 30 seconds ....

you are joking I hope?
if you only look in your mirrors every 30 seconds then you are missing loads if important information.
30 seconds after all, is 1/2 a mile @ 60mph!

is it only me, that constantly cycles my eyes?
look forward, righthand mirror, forward, lefthand mirror, forward, speedo, forward, centre mirror, that kind of thing... I also look over my shoulder before lane changing.. thats a habit Ive always had.

I also look as far forward as visibility allows, some people I know look only at the car in front.. they scare me!
I find that by doing that, I can often react before the car in front of me, and only need to lift the throttle, rather than braking.
that I find makes for a for less stressful journey.
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - diddy1234
SWMBO regularly drives through the Hatfield tunnel (where road works are in progress).

She drives through at dead on 40mph (the speed limit through the road works) and yet she gets aggressive cars tail getting really close, flashing lights at her.
She has even had drivers hanging out of the window giving verbal abuse at her.

She has noticed lots of cars driving through at 50mph only to slow down to 40mph for each camera.

So my question is, has anyone been nicked by average camera's ?
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - BobbyG
Cant comment on those specific works. However up here in Scotland they put up permanent SPECS cameras on the m77 and claim this has drastically reduced the amount of accidents and fatalities.
However I am unaware of anyone being caught by these cameras. Never any court mentions, posts on other web sites etc.
Also a while back there were major works on the m 8 and they had these cameras but again never any mention of anyone being caught. So either very effective, or people know the alleged rule re switching lanes,or they are not connected!
Anyone know how much work is involved in setting these up? Do they wirelessly communicate with each other or a central point?
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - Rattle
Hopefully if the system works correctly your wife can get revenge knowing all the impatient twits have lots of points on thier licence :) Who knows maybe they they will get so many points from this road alone they get banned :).
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - Dynamic Dave
She drives through at dead on 40mph

Is that a speedo indicated reading? You can gauge your speed more accurately with the 101 GPS devices that are now available, from Sat Navs to dedicated speed camera detectors.

Whilst your wife thinks she's doing 40mph, she's probably only doing something like 37 mph.
She has noticed lots of cars driving through at 50mph

Is that a guesstimate?
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - Manatee
Something wrong here. Pretty well all the average speed camera roadworks I've been through, the traffic has been running at the speed limit or just below.

I don't believe she's had drivers (multiple) shouting verbal abuse at her just for driving at the posted limited, where there are cameras either end. It would have to be a massive speedo error to make her so slow as to attract that kind of treatment.

Maybe I need to take a trip to Hatfield - sounds like a different country.
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - AshT
I'd be interested to know the answer to this too. I've been driving over to South Wales quite often recently and muich of the route is a SPECS controlled 50mph procession from the Avon Bridge to the never ending roadworks between Newport and Cardiff.

I drive through all these at a steady 50, indicated by the sat nav. At a sat nav indicated 50, the speedo on the Espace shows around 53, and I find myself going past plenty of people, presumably relying on their speedo, sat around 45mph

Even while I'm sat at 50 though there are always plenty of cars going past, and on a few occasions coaches. I would guess that most of them are doing 60+. At busy times it's a constant line doing this speed.

On the two lane sections at busy times there is little chance of changing lane safely due to sheer volume of traffic being forced through two lanes so you've faced with a dilemma - take a chance at 60 in the right hand lane, or sit at 40 - 45 in the left hand lane. As I need my licence I take the 45 option, but I always wonder just how many of the 60+ brigade are getting caught.
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - oldnotbold
GPS unit may struggle with a speed reading in a tunnel if it can't get a satellite fix. You could calibrate the speedo on a long straight, though, using a satnav device.
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - Peter D
Yes lots :
forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=44488&st=0&...5
Pete D
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - TheOilBurner
I don't believe she's had drivers (multiple) shouting verbal abuse at her just for driving
at the posted limited where there are cameras either end.

Agreed. I've only had that kind of abuse in temporary 40mph limits when there *haven't* been cameras to watch over proceedings. Usually on motorways or dual carriageways where people can't seem to cope with slowing from 70+ to 40, but think 50 or 60 is OK...

Put the cameras there, set the cruise control to 2-3mph above the limit (on the speedo), and no problems at all.

It's the only time I'm happy to see cameras, TBH.
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - datostar
She has noticed lots of cars driving through at 50mph only to slow down to
40mph for each camera.

That road is a magnet for ignorant pigs who are probably too stupid to realise that they are average speed cameras. If she's comfortably within the speed limit she shouldn't allow herself to be intimidated. Even if she's only doing a true 37mph - so what? The fools will soon hit plenty more traffic when they leave the motorway further down.
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - NickS
I work for a major Civil Engineering contractor, and we often set up SPECS and TASCAR cameras during roadworks for the HA.

They all have to be connected by cable, no wireless operation. Often, there are only two live cameras in the whole stretch, the rest of them are dummies.

The lane changing myth doesnt work because all tthe cameras are linked to one "database" which times you between live cameras. It doesnt matter which camera scans your number plate, they all feed back to the same place.

Also, USUALLY only one lane is monitored by live cameras, and we are not usually told which one, even as principal contractor.

Edited by NickS on 06/10/2009 at 10:09

Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - Altea Ego
The lane changing myth doesnt work because all tthe cameras are linked to one "database"
Also USUALLY only one lane is monitored by live cameras and we are not usually
told which one even as principal contractor.

Usually then, the changing lanes trick will work if only one lane is monitored. As long as you change lane through the section, you will only be caught on live camera once, not twice as required for average speed.
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - NickS
Good point AE. I should have said it doesnt work where multiple lanes are covered, not that it doesnt work full stop. The problem is you just never know which ones are acive unless you have time to dig up the verge to fin the cable.

Having been on sites with SPECS cameras installed, they are the most effective form of traffic management by a long way. Very few drivers exceed the sppeed limits by more than a few MPH, and tickets are like hens teeth according to the Highways Agency (I can only speak from experience in East Anglia).
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - Roly93
The lane changing myth doesnt work because all tthe cameras are linked to one "database"
which times you between live cameras. It doesnt matter which camera scans your number plate
they all feed back to the same place.
Also USUALLY only one lane is monitored by live cameras and we are not usually
told which one even as principal contractor.

Dont these 2 statement contradict each other ?

If only 1 lane is monitored, then surely to switch lanes after you have been past 1 camera is going to be beneficial ?
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - idle_chatterer
I travel a fair bit and have noticed that usually people obey 50mpg average speed cameras e.g. on the M25 J18 to 20 or near Warwick on the M40, however I too noticed that at Hatfield people sped past me when I set my cruise to 43mph (exactly 40mph by the satnav) - so maybe it's something about the 40 rather than 50 limit or drivers in Hatfield ?
I set my cruise at about speedo indicated 50 mph in a 40 mph limit.

The car is actually doing 45mph and the prosectution threshold is 46mph
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - Dave_TD
I have to travel on the Nottinghamshire section of the M1 every weekend where the widening works are in place, along with a SPECS-enforced 50 limit. I just toodle along in lane 1 at a speedo-indicated 45-50mph with the lorries and caravans. I don't have to worry or stress about watching my speed to within 1mph, it makes for a much more relaxing drive :-)

The limited zone is just under 20 miles long, so at a true 50mph would take 24 minutes to complete. At a true 45mph it would take 26 minutes 40 seconds. In the overall terms of my 45 minute journey, 2 minutes 40 seconds is neither here nor there and could easily be gained or lost several times over with traffic etc on the non-motorway part of my journey.

I must be getting old.

Edited by Dave_TD {P} on 06/10/2009 at 10:49

Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - Hamsafar
I don't think the ones on the M1 East Mids are live. Here is a picture of a live one taken with a mobile phone. You can see the IR transducers glowing on a photo taken with a cheap digital camera as they are oversensitive to invisible infra red light, but the ones on the M1 do not look like this. I took this photo a few months ago on Nottingham Road/Oxclose Lane in Nottingham using an old iPhone.

farm3.static.flickr.com/2503/3986920012_554ccb7aa5...g

Edited by Hamsafar on 06/10/2009 at 11:55

Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - Westpig
does the OP's wife slow down in the lane she's in....or does she ensure she's in the left hand lane.

Many people enter a restricted zone in lane 2 or 3, then slow down in that lane, despite a left hand lane being available. If they're abiding by a car speedo and making sure they're a bit under to allow for gentle variations in speed, then they're probably doing 45mph in a 50mph limit....if someone else is using satnav and is taking into account the fact they won't be prosecuted for a minor transgression, then they could easily be 8 - 9mph faster.

If the road is busy and/or the OP's wife is in lane 1, then the people behind will have to learn to be patient...however, if not, then she should be pulling left and allowing others to overtake
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - Optimist
There's a very old story, and probably no more than a story, that years ago in some part of Australia they wanted to restrict the speed on the nearly deserted road running several hundred miles or so from Wollongollong to Ollongwollong because of the occasional catastrophic accident.

So when you left Wollongollong, you were given a piece of paper with your index number on it and stamped with the time of departure. If you arrived in Ollongwollong any earlier than an average speed of 65 would get you there, you were nicked.

There's a very old story and probably no more than a story

Rather like the Peage on an French Autoroute then
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - Hamsafar
I must confess I become frustrated at the selfish people on the Nottingham Ring Road who go into lane 2/2 for no reason and won't move over, despite going at a speed lower than those approaching from behind.
Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - Ben10
I don't believe she's had drivers (multiple) shouting verbal abuse at her just for driving at the posted limited

I believe her. I used the M1 section patrolled by specs during the roadworks at Luton on a number of occasions, and I had cars loom up to my bumper flashing and others ingoring the speed limit altogether. So, I think the cameras were duds to get the traffic to slow. They were primarily used for breakdowns due to no hard shoulder.

{edited to show the quoted text, which was previously hidden by the inccorect use of the 'less than' symbol}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/10/2009 at 13:34

Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - Westpig
and I had cars loom up to my bumper flashing and others ingoring the speed limit altogether.

Ben,
When you were flashed at, was there a lane to the left you could have moved into?

Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - Armstrong Sid
I must confess I become frustrated at the selfish people on the Nottingham Ring Road
who go into lane 2/2 for no reason and won't move over despite going at
a speed lower than those approaching from behind.

I've been behind them as well. It's because they are going to turn right three junctions and two roundabouts further along the road. They have the mentality that if they are going to turn right at some point in the future, they can be in the outside lane.

Edited by Armstrong Sid on 06/10/2009 at 12:50

Has anyone been nicked for speeding-average cams - John R @ Work {P}
farm3.static.flickr.com/2503/3986920012_554ccb7aa5...g

SHOCK HORROR!

This photo should be moved to the CARS PARKING ON A PATH/PAVEMENT RANT thread!

John R ;¬)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/10/2009 at 13:34

Speed Cameras - for better, or worse? - tunacat
Here?s the gist of an article that appeared in last week?s Autocar:
(Some sentences are verbatim, some bits aren?t quite, and since the mag has been in the public domain for a week / I paid for my copy / I?ve quoted the source, I trust I?m not running too foul of any copyright issues)

The real push towards the dominance of speid chameras in the UK's road safety policy came in March 2000 when the government launched a new road safety strategy aimed at reducing the number of people killed or seriously injured by 40% within a decade.
The DfT strategy was to "focus especially on speed", which, it claimed, was "a major contributory factor in about one third of all road accidents." At the time, the DfT claimed that "excessive and inappropriate speed" was "the single biggest contributor to casualties on our roads."

Curiously, this directly contradicted an existing report by TRL, which said excessive speed was "definitely" the cause of 4.5% of road traffic accidents, and a "probable" or "possible" contributory factor in 8.2% of accidents.

In summer 2009, the UK Statistics Authority accused the DfT of underestimating the number of people being seriously injured in traffic accidents - the official figures for the number of drivers and passengers being injured were significantly at odds with the records from hospital admissions - and this put into doubt the success of the government's road safety policy.

Between 1992 and 2007, the rate of decline in road deaths dramatically flattened out (and in fact, between 2005 and 2006 the fatality figures rose). But this period also coincided with a huge improvement in vehicle safety standards - something that should have further pushed the fatality figures down...

The opinion of critics is that the official numbers are a deliberate attempt to misrepresent the accident statistics and 'prove' that the mass adoption of speid chameras was having a dramatic effect on preventing deaths and serious accidents.

Because of the speid chamera, in the past 15 years the UK has pursued a policy that has not improved road safety because it has concentrated on spot-measured speed above all else. This has run alongside a huge reduction in the number of highly-trained traffic police.
The underlying issue is that a road safety policy focused on speeding encourages drivers to believe that their only concession to safe or better driving need be to travel at or below the posted speed limit.
Worse, it is argued that speid chamera paranoia is now such that drivers spend a disproportionate amount of time concentrating on the speed at which they are travelling rather than on what is going on around them.

In 2006 the Dft itself released a report based on over 200,000 accidents attended by the police that suggested that "breaking the speed limit" was a factor in just 5% of all accidents, and 12% of fatal accidents.
"Excessive speed for the conditions", e.g. doing 60mph on a busy motorway in thick fog, was cited in another 15% of accidents - but of course this sort of bad driving cannot be measured or ameliorated by fixed-limit cameras, and it is this figure, misleadingly bundled-in with the "12% of fatalities" by the DfT, that allows the department to achieve its incorrect but media-friendly soundbite that "about a third of serious and fatal accidents are caused by speeding".

At the end of the day of course, even if that "about a third" figure were accurate, it would still mean that 70% of accidents must be being caused by factors other than speeding - such as inattention, tiredness, drugs...

Speed Cameras - for better, or worse? - nick
According to one of the TV motorway police shows, 250 people are killed every year on motorway hard shoulders. I doubt speed is an issue there, more like inattention. Take out the drunks, drugged, elderly pulling out in front of traffic, young lads doing daft things and the plain dim, I doubt you'd be left with very many at all.
In my neck of the woods there's a campaign to get the limit reduced on a road where a girl was killed. She walked out from behind a bus straight into the path of a car which was travelling well below the limit for which the parents are campaigning. The coroner and the police say speed was not a factor, it was wholly her fault. While sad at her death, I feel more sorry for the driver of the car.
Speed Cameras - for better, or worse? - DP
I've never had a problem with speed cameras as part of a wider toolkit to police the roads.

I do have a big problem with speed cameras replacing skilled traffic police, as has happened in many forces. Traffic units have been reduced, disbanded, or their efforts diverted onto other priorities. Cameras have replaced them. This is a big mistake. I also have a problem with the diversion of revenue from speed cameras to encourage the use of further speed cameras. Finally, the massage of statistics to justify the use of said cameras (remember the quickly-dropped lie that speeding causes 1 in 3 accidents - actual figure <10%)

One constabulary in the North (County Durham, IIRC) has not used cameras, and has retained a fully functional traffic division. I believe they consistently return the lowest road casualty rate in the country.

Only a fool would say that excessive speed doesn't contribute to road casualties, but equally there are far greater risks on the roads which speed cameras do not address, and which cannot be solved and monitored by a cheap box at the side of the road. This has been the great mistake of the past decade in my opinion. The approach has not been balanced, and has not looked at reducing casualties as a whole, but simply overfocused on one small part of the problem
Speed Cameras - for better, or worse? - Westpig
Good Lord. What with that recent thread form New Zealand...and now this.... there's a healthy dose of common sense coming out. Do think HMG will listen?

No.
Speed Cameras - for better, or worse? - davecuk
I must confess that I am totally convinced the reason for more than 90% of the speed cameras is/was....revenue generation. In my local area they have all been placed in positions where there have never been accidents. Unfortunately the areas where many deaths have occurred, have to this day, still not seen a speed camera.

The local authorities seem to have definitely lost their once ebullient enthusiasm for them now they don't get the money, but I believe still have to maintain them.

P.S.. Especially thinking of the golden few miles on the A3 as it passes thru Tolworth on it's way into london....speed camera city!
Speed Cameras - for better, or worse? - stunorthants26
It seems the answer is to abolish speed limits and for people to individually judge what is safe as the Police apparently think its OK to break the limit if it is safe to do so, making the limit simply a marker by which revenue should be gathered and not a 'real' law.
This would remove the need for cameras and free up Police to do something more constructive as speed doesnt kill anyone.
I remember being driven on tha A27 at 120 mph four up in a Rover 75 - we certainly got there quicker and no accident so maybe it is ok afterall :-)
Speed Cameras - for better, or worse? - julie page
Speed cameras on motorway roadworks are the worst

They reduce the speed limits even when no one is working and then claim its for safety

Don't know how true it is but it is claimed that such safety cameras increase the number of accidents by 55% on some sections.
Stu,
Of course, our Motorways DIDN'T originally have a speed limit.
Then they stuck the 70 mph limit on in about 1966, as an experiment...

There are no pedestrians on motorways remember, so we must infer that any safety measures imposed there must have been aimed at reducing injuries to vehicle occupants, not pedestrians, yet although it was argued at the time whether compulsory wearing of seatbelts would be a better idea, they didn't bother putting that into effect until about 1982.

Hmmm... :-(
Speed Cameras - for better, or worse? - redviper
Of course our Motorways DIDN'T originally have a speed limit.
Then they stuck the 70 mph limit on in about 1966 as an experiment...

Didnt they put the limit on, after a car manufacturer tested their car out on the motorway doing 120+, there was a uproar in the media, and then a goverment enquiry which then led to the 70 speed limit on the motorway.
Speed Cameras - for better, or worse? - stunorthants26
Well, why not abolish speed limits everywhere, I keep reading on here how people are quite capable of regulating their own speed, so there should be no danger, especially since more than 50% of people break the limit anyway ( local study in my area confirmed it at near 60% ).

The only proviso is that any accident or deaths caused by excessive speed, should be treated extremely harshly.
Speed Cameras - for better, or worse? - Bromptonaut
I must confess that I am totally convinced the reason for more than 90% of
the speed cameras is/was....revenue generation.

Can anyone give a figure for the net national (or any local) "profit" from speed cameras?

I doubt £60 covers much more than the paperwork and a proportion of the fixed costs of cameras. The idea that the fines make a significant contribution to the exchequer is risible!
Speed Cameras - for better, or worse? - Snakey
One constabulary in the North (County Durham IIRC) has not used cameras and has retained
a fully functional traffic division. I believe they consistently return the lowest road casualty rate
in the country.

I live in Durham and Durham Police simply don't use fixed cameras. They are very keen on mobile cameras however, usually found a few hundred metres away from the local Tesco to catch the unwary leaving the 30mph limit that opens to a 60mph limit.
Speed Cameras - for better, or worse? - Old Navy
I live in Durham and Durham Police simply don't use fixed cameras. >>

Same here in Fife, camera vans are far more effective than fixed cameras, and are often deployed near schools.

Edited by Old Navy on 07/10/2009 at 14:04

>>>"...dose of common sense coming out... ...think HMG will listen?"

Dunno, but the potential next ones might:

tinyurl.com/yaqvvfu

...or it might just be electioneering of course ;-)

Speed Cameras - for better, or worse? - Derfel
I believe the 2006 report referenced in the OP is the one available on the link below:

www.thenewspaper.com/news/13/1362.asp

Page 11 of the very comprehensive report states: "Exceeding speed limit was attributed to 3 per cent of cars involved in accidents"

The problem is that the notion that all accidents are caused by speeding is beginning to enter the national psyche and become accepted as received wisdom. People who are not interested in cars or driving just accept this as fact and whenever there is an accident the response is "oh well he must have been speeding". This insidious process can then be used to justify reductions in speed limits and draconian penalties for transgressors.

I agree with most of the above posts, clearly speeding is not irrelevant as a cause. However, it is very easy to confuse exceeding a given speed limit with excess speed for the road and traffic conditions and there is a clear distinction between the two.
"Tories oppose charges and speed cameras" - cheddar
Yes, speed cameras were introduced under the last Conservative government though have proliferated under the current lot and are a small part of the move away from individual responsibility that is a factor in so many of today's social/community problems.

Hopefully this will not be the only area where a Tory government will once again empower the population.

Empower the people! ( no, not power to the people ;-) )
Intermediate Average Speed Cameras - fredthefifth

Because of junctions etc there are often intermediate camera positions to pick up cars joining and leaving the average speed zone.

Anyone know if you can get done for speeding between intermediate cameras or just your entry and exit points into the whole zone?

FTF
Intermediate Average Speed Cameras - pyruse
If you can't get done for speeding between any pair of cameras the whole thing would be pretty pointless.
So, yes, I'd imagine that exceeding the average between any pair of cameras will get you a ticket
More on speeding and cameras.... - FotheringtonThomas
ISTR someone a few years ago passing a couple of speed cameras on the same stretch of road, and being banned - he tried in vain to claim that the offence was one of speeding, since he he'd been continually speeding for those X miles. Something like that. Who can remember this and give pointers?

Now, we've average speed cameras. Does the possibility of being "pinched" by these alter what would happen to the above chappie now?

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 08/10/2009 at 19:07

Speed limit - barney100
Seen anarticle in the press that states the government is considering a national speed limit of 60mph to meet the emissions target. The loss of 10mph is supposed to be a big help. Can't imagine how this would affect traffic flow etc.

Edited by Pugugly on 15/10/2009 at 19:55

speed limit - cheddar
Hopefully we will have a new one before they get around to it, a new government that is.
Speed limit - b308
Can't imagine how this would affect traffic flow etc.

I expect that if everyone stuck to it it would make traffic flow better, same way as any speed reductions help traffic flow... on motorways at least... thats why they reduce speeds and not increase them when it gets busy on those variable limit sections! But how they would police a 60 limit nationwide is beyond me, they can't even police the current limits effectively... daft idea...
Villagers banned from acting on speeding drivers - Bilboman
"The council tells us that not enough people are dying or being injured on the stretch of road to warrant permanent speed cameras."
"'If speed signs are positioned in the wrong place they can cause accidents rather than prevent them. "
Full story here: www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/6346612/Villager...l
So there we have it folks. Speeding cars are a matter for the council and it's really no one else's business.
Villagers banned from acting on speeding drivers - Old Navy
Were these threats issued by a councilor or an unelected "official"?

Edited by Old Navy on 17/10/2009 at 19:27