Three cheers for Saga - D P Dance
In August last year I bought a pre-registered Mazda6 with 8 miles on the clock for just over £14,000 from a main dealer. In June this year I was involved in a head on collision in Spain and the car was a write off.

Mazda, without any pressure from me said that I qualified for a new car of the same type, and have just paid over £16,000 more for a new Mazda6 on a 59 plate, despite the fact that my policy states that new for old only applies if you are the first registered owner of the vehicle.

I wonder if the fact that the car that crashed into mine was overtaking a police car at the time had any bearing on their generousity.
Three cheers for Saga - Pugugly
Should it read SAGA not Mazda ?
Three cheers for Saga - whoopwhoop
Good to hear a good result!

How did the 6 perform in the crash?

Must have been a nightmare happening so far away from home? How did you get the car "repatriated"? (or was it left in Spain?)
Three cheers for Saga - oilrag
I once got an insurance quote from Saga - didn`t take it up, but was then bombarded with offers, holiday brochures and so on. It went on for a long time.
I rang them to ask to be taken off the list but it continued. Eventually I rang them pretending to be my brother saying that i was deceased and would they please stop it?

Problem the solved. But what a struggle. I`ve been careful about getting onto data bases ever since and the experience has inhibited me in trying to get insurance quotes.

Three cheers for Saga - Avant
SAGA = Send All Grannies Away. :)

When I got to 50 I thought I ought to get a car insurance quote from them - I'm sure they do a good job but I was quite relieved that my broker could still do better. Dealing with SAGA is a sort of reminder of one's age!
Three cheers for Saga - bathtub tom
Wait until you get your bus pass and Winter fuel allowance.

Then your old age pension.

Then you have to re-apply for your driving licence.

Then your pension goes up.
Three cheers for Saga - henry k
BT
you missed out

Then you cannot hire a car
Three cheers for Saga - Martin Devon
Then your pension goes up.

The spout?
Three cheers for Saga - martint123
SAGA = Send All Grannies Away. :)

I thought it was Senile And Geriatrics Association.

When I tried, they were very expensive quotes.
Three cheers for Saga - bell boy
i file all this stuff under b
Three cheers for Saga - Armitage Shanks {p}
Sex and Games Abroad SFAIK
Three cheers for Saga - L'escargot
It's good to hear nice things said in this forum about an insurance company. They're not all scumbags, crooks, scammers and other miscellaneous derogatory terms usually used to describe them.
Three cheers for Saga - Stuartli
>>They're not all scumbags, crooks, scammers and other miscellaneous derogatory terms usually used to describe them.>>

True, but Saga consistently comes up with the highest premiums of all each year when I do my annual car insurance cost comparison.
Three cheers for Saga - D P Dance
Thank you for all the replies.

The car crumpled by almost two feet. The front passenger doors opened with a bit of a creek, but the passenger compartment was intact. The belts and bags , whilst no doubt saving our lives, cracked a couple of my wife's ribs, but I got off with the mother of all bruises.

Actually coping was not a problem, my son and daughter flew out to do the driving and keep house for us. The Spanish NHS did us proud, my wife shared a room with another patient, visiting was from 12.00 to 10.00pm and the parking was free.

As for premiums, I spend 4-5 months a year in Spain with the car, and my previous insurer, Churchill, started charging about a pound a day for E.U. cover, effectively doubling the premium I was paying last year. Saga offer unlimited foreign travel insurance. The downside of insuring with Saga is the junk mail, cruising on the Saga Rose would be my idea of hell.