97 1.6 Is it OBD II Compatible ? - Aocal
Loaned a mate of mine my OBD II code reader but he is saying the connector is slightly different on his car than on my reader??

Is a 1997 VW golf not OBD II compatible does anyone know?

Cheers,
Adam

Edited by Pugugly on 17/09/2009 at 23:01

97 1.6 Is a 1997 VW Golf OBD II Compatible - Aocal
BUMP
97 1.6 Is a 1997 VW Golf OBD II Compatible - Dynamic Dave
Could be wrong, but I think most European cars weren't OBDII compliant until 2001.

A quick google also found the following - For your vehicle to be OBD II compliant, it must have a 16 pin DLC (Data Link Connector) under the dash and the Vehicle Emission Control Information Label must state that the vehicle is OBD II compliant. This label is located on the inside of the bonnet on most vehicles. If the vehicle is OBD II compliant, the label will designate ?OBD II Certified?.
97 1.6 Is a 1997 VW Golf OBD II Compatible - Kevin
>Could be wrong, but I think most European cars weren't OBDII compliant until 2001.

That's correct DD. European petrol vehicles didn't have to comply until 2001.

Most manufacturers didn't go to OBD II for cars sold in Europe until they had to, even though identical models sold in the US were compliant. Saved them a few ? per vehicle I suppose.

If the car doesn't have the J1962 Standard connector and emissions label I'd assume it wasn't OBD II.

Kevin...
97 1.6 Is a 1997 VW Golf OBD II Compatible - jc2
OBDII is an American standard.The Euro equivalent is EOBD-you won't find a OBDII label on a genuine European car-just a few oddities that were sold on both markets.The calibrations needed to meet the regulations in Europe/49 States/California are all different and the calibrations designed to meet Federal regs. may not comply with Euro requirements and vice-versa.Federal regulations tend to be Nox orientated whilst Euro regs. accentuate Co/Hc.
97 1.6 Is a 1997 VW Golf OBD II Compatible - Aocal
Ok! Thanks for the help, i'll check out what is really needed then. Thanks.