M6 Toll payment - card, no PIN - maz64
How come the M6 Toll card payment machines don't need a PIN? You just put your (in my case Visa) card in, it comes out a second later, and the barrier lifts - faster than cash.

Do they get special dispensation? Why do automatic petrol pumps (to use another motoring example) need a PIN?
M6 Toll payment - card, no PIN - rtj70
For automatic petrol pumps they didn't always need a PIN. So for a long time the risk was on the garage and not you for fraudulent use of the card. Same must apply to the M6 toll.
M6 Toll payment - card, no PIN - harib
Most "barrier" car parks where you pay on exit appear to be the same - including airport car parks. Card goes in - car goes out. No PIN necessary.
M6 Toll payment - card, no PIN - gordonbennet
There's not a lot of money at stake, so for someone who will be very closely photographed as they pass to risk using a fraudulent card just wouldn't be worth it.

Secondly can you imagine the queues when a few mimsers who can't remember their own passwords etc have to consult their notes for PIN's and then make a pigs ear of entering it.

I wonder what would happen if the machine noted a known stolen card?
M6 Toll payment - card, no PIN - Optimist
I wonder what would happen if the machine noted a known stolen card? >>

If the card was notified as stolen it would have been cancelled, so I'd have thought the machine would reject it.

M6 Toll payment - card, no PIN - mike hannon
French 'peage' barriers never ask for a PIN.
M6 Toll payment - card, no PIN - Optimist
And they've had chip and PIN longer than we have.

M6 Toll payment - card, no PIN - ifithelps
tinyurl.com/opdavs

This is a link to Barclays' new Contactless Debit Card Service.

All you do is wave your card at the machine and any transaction under £10 goes through.

It's been advertised as suitable for 'grab a coffee' or 'pick up a paper' purchases.

There is no security, but don't blame me, I didn't invent it.

I think Barclays say they will refund without question any transaction you report as suspicious.

M6 Toll payment - card, no PIN - diddy1234
I have not shopped at sainsbury's for a while but from memory the self checkout's did not need a pin number.
M6 Toll payment - card, no PIN - rtj70
The checkouts in Tesco were the same. Both now need a PIN.
M6 Toll payment - card, no PIN - R75
It's the same on the toll roads in France. No pin needed. In fact half the journeys we did on the toll roads out there in March did not even end up on my credit card statement for some reason!
M6 Toll payment - card, no PIN - maz64
In fact half the journeys we did on the toll roads out there in March did not even
end up on my credit card statement for some reason!

What an excellent system - I'll keep an eye on my account.

Thanks for the info everyone.
M6 Toll payment - card, no PIN - Mapmaker
The Barclays wave-your-card system asks for your PIN now and again, and every time you spend over a tenner, and any time it feels activity is suspicious. So if you make three £10 purchases within an hour or two it'll ask you for it. Very safe, and the maximum exposure for Barclaycard is a handful of tenners.
M6 Toll payment - card, no PIN - BobbyG
Many moons ago, the Safeway petrol station in Edinburgh was the first to go live with 24 hour paying at the pumps.

I remember the conference call we had on a Monday morning when it was casually mentioned that there had been a bit of an issue on the Sun night once the main shop closed at 6pm.

Cutting to the chase I believe that a good number of Edinburgh taxi drivers managed to get free fill ups that night with a dodgy card or cards.....