98 1.8 PAS Pump Noise. - Tell
I get a constant nasty whine increasing in pitch with engine revs. When the car is stationary, moving the steering wheel a gently against the pressure (not turning the wheels at all) to get the PAS to do a little work the noise is a lot worse.

I conclude this is my power steering pump making the noise. I assume the increase in pitch under revs is due to the aux belt driving the pump faster.

I checked the fluid in case it's a simple case of the pump run dry of fluid - there's not a lot of fluid but there's some so I can't see how the pump can be running dry. I'll top it up to see tomorrow.

I haven't physically looked yet and I haven't checked Haynes - am about to do the later, the former will have to wait for the weekend.

Questions:

- Based on the info above am I right to suspect the PAS pump?

- If so is it likely to be the Pump alone or is there a high chance it will need a new rack too?

- Ballpark what should I be paying for a pump/rack/both fitted?

- I quite enjoy working on my cars - is it a tricky task for the home enthusiast?

TIA.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/08/2009 at 01:28

98 1800 PAS Pump Noise. - Galaxy
It could well the the PAS pump which is causing the noise.

However, I believe it's much more likely to be the auxillary belt tensioner, so I would suggest you check this first before rushing out to buy a new PAS pump!

98 1800 PAS Pump Noise. - Wurzel83
You may well have to remove the subframe to replace the steering rack so its a big job and awkward without ramps and lifting gear I guess.

Try the basics first eg. belt and tensionder. Then the pump