Just don't look down - CGNorwich
I hear this evening on the news this evening that the authorities who run the QE 2 bridge at the Dartford crossing are discontinuing the service that they have been providing of supplying a driver for those who are unable to drive across themselves because they are terrified of heights.

They have apparent supplied this service since the bridge opened

I guess there's always the Blackwall tunnel, (unless of course you are claustrophobic)
:-)
Just don't look down - Cliff Pope
That's one of those amazing facts that only come to light after it's all over.

How did the the car owner get across then? Did he sit relaxed in the passenger seat gazing at the 100 foot drop only a few feet on his left? Or was he sedated and seated in the back with a hood tied over his head?

www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2009/august/1...x

I agree.It is amazing that there ever was such as service. I wonder if there are any other schemes out there we don't know about. A driver to cross Dartmoor for those with a morbid fear of sheep perhaps ?

Anyone got any ideas on what services should be provided?
Just don't look down - Lud
Capacious vehicles with a professional driver for the seventy per cent of car owners with a morbid fear of driving, or without the intellect or physical coordination to do it competently?

Under this scheme, the capacious vehicles, like long vans but fitted with seats and windows, could run a shuttle service, or on busy routes run to a timetable. The scheme would have the added benefit of reducing traffic volumes.

For some reason I want the long capacious vehicles to be known as 'buses'.
For some reason I want the long capacious vehicles to be known as 'buses'

In view of the large numbers involved I suggest we link the vehicles together and run them on their own network. "Trains" would be a good name.
Just don't look down - Old Navy
I bet Gordonbennet would not be pleased if he had to carry a load of lazy drivers on normally empty return trips.
Just don't look down - oldnotbold
From the article:

"It has now written to the 49 people who were regular users to inform them it is being scrapped."

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they get the letter. How would such a person be expected to respond?

The RAF employ people to deal with a fear of heights in their transport aircraft. They are call Loadmasters - any airborne soldier looking like they might not jump is given "firm assistance".

Just don't look down - rtj70
I bet the people using the bridge with this fear were fine when it was just the tunnel. Then had the bad news that the journey south was to be via a bridge!

There are so many other bridges (longer than this too) that has never needed such a service.

A bit of a non news story that one.
Just don't look down - Lud
Gordonbennet would not be pleased if he had to carry a load of lazy drivers on normally empty return trips.

Of course he would. He could charge a modest fare; their mass, swollen by the obesity epidemic, would enable him to freewheel down those motorway slopes at more or less the speed of sound; and they wouldn't be getting in his way on the road or baulking him at the bottoms of motorway inclines, that speciality of the motorway mimser asking to be murdered by the righteous... It's a win-win-win situation from gb's point of view.