96 1.8 Sticking ignition switch - stokie
After starting the engine, I have to manually turn the key back to the run position.
Sometimes I forget and this is burning out the starter motor drive every 6 months or so.

The AA man tells me the A4 is renowned for sticking ignition switch.
Does anyone have experience of replacing one or having it replaced?
Where did you obtain the replacenment and what did it cost?
Is it difficult to get to it?

BTW the 'switch' is quite cheap, just an electrical switch, but I assume my problem is in the barrel i.e. a spring is weak or broken?

Thanks for any advice.
Stewart

96 1.8 Sticking ignition switch - Peter.N.
You could try squirting some WD40 into it - it might work.
96 1.8 Sticking ignition switch - 20vtiny
I've had an audi with the same problem as yours. What makes the key spring back after starting is a plastic terminal block that lives on the bottom of the long ignition barrell. you probably noticed that befor it packed up the spring-back action of the key got weaker. A new one is about 25 quid.
96 1.8 Sticking ignition switch - 20vtiny
its definatley the plastic terminal block that lives on the end of the ignition barrell. they can be a bit tricky to change but if you remove the blower duckting it should make things a bit easier.
96 1.8 Sticking ignition switch - stokie
Many thanks, I'll price one of those up
96 1.8 Sticking ignition switch - adverse camber
I agree.

I'd say do it sooner rather than later. One of ours failed totally stranding the car.

I was told at the time by our local indy not to bother with the aftermarket ones but to go to VAG for a real one because they had had lots of problems with non-genuine ones failing quickly.

Its the same part on lots of vag cars Audi 100/A6 Golfs/passats and skodas.

If you get the part number you can ring round and check prices.