98 2.8 rear door trim removal [to inspect c/lockin - John F
The central locking now frequently fails so the door will not unlock manually either from the inside or outside. I think some mechanical bit must be sticking as I can hear the electromechanical bit trying to unlock it. Sometimes it succeeds. Trouble is, I can't see how to get the impregnable trim off. All I have managed to do is find a tiny hole under the arm rest/door pull enabling the window switch to be removed, but that doesn't reveal any allen/torc screws either. And the small phillips screws at the top ends of the trim are only accessible with the door open!
Can anyone please advise on how to prise off which bit of trim without wrecking it?
98 2.8 rear door trim removal [to inspect c/lockin - John F
Success! In view of deafening silence from your experts I thought I'd share my new-found knowledge courtesy of the Audi Forum.

After a rare door-unlocking event the two small Phillips screws are removed and the whole interior trim panel shoved firmly vertically upwards. That's all..apart from disconnecting the obvious things! I've never known a door panel come off so easily......when you know how - and yet appear so firmly and immovably attached! [but then i haven't known that many door panels]

I still don't know how to open the door if it hadn't unlocked, though.